Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

When you add together the paint, primer, sand paper, filler, grinding discs, tape, paper, thinner, the list really goes on, you can have well in excess of $1000 before you lay the first drop of polish on a VW. Most all complain of high cost of paint jobs but material has REALLY gone up. And all of this before one square inch of metal has been hammered on. You need to know the costs before you say "its too much". Paint and body is really expensive.........can you afford it?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

My question is ....after the cost of all materials are accounted for, why can't you get single stage paint job, without metalwork, for less than another 5K in labor? I realize not everyone is going to be able to paint by themselves as I do, but paintwork is excessively high in labor.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
When you add together the paint, primer, sand paper, filler, grinding discs, tape, paper, thinner, the list really goes on, you can have well in excess of $1000 before you lay the first drop of polish on a VW. Most all complain of high cost of paint jobs but material has REALLY gone up. And all of this before one square inch of metal has been hammered on. You need to know the costs before you say "its too much". Paint and body is really expensive.........can you afford it?

Plus the costs to own and operate a booth! Around here that is some BIG dollars!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
wheel607 wrote:

Plus the costs to own and operate a booth! Around here that is some BIG dollars!

We paint in a shop building with the big doors open on both ends.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
My question is ....after the cost of all materials are accounted for, why can't you get single stage paint job, without metalwork, for less than another 5K in labor? I realize not everyone is going to be able to paint by themselves as I do, but paintwork is excessively high in labor.

If it’s so easy and painters are overpaid do it yourself.
I think you’ll find quick that it’s not easy, is time consuming if you want it done right and requires skill born through experience.
People forget that you are not paying just for time on the job, but also for the years of experience required to develop the skills to produce an excellent product.
Also overhead for shops is crazy. Most cities don’t want them and make it known through the pocket book.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

I paint in a garage, or outside on a nice day. Turns out well enough since I know what I'm doing. A booth is nice but I don't have one at home where I do most of my work and keep my cars.

Paint cost for whole car. I gallon usually works of both primer and paint.

Primer $150
Paint $200
Sandpaper $250 (5 different 45yrd rolls of different grits, will last for a long time)
Body filler $50
Misc Tools and supplies, go to the swap meet $80
Gun, an entry level Finex or something $150
Cheap gun for primer $20

So basically $900 to get you going and you can have a paintjob as good as one that might cost 2,500-4,000 from a shop. And you probably do it better since you care more. You need to pay at least 5 grand to not have your car destroyed. If the price is cheaper BEWARE. They will not spend proper time on metal work and simply use lots of filler and rush the prep. Most people just aren't willing to spend the proper cash... that's why 90% of the shiny cars you see at shows look like shit close up and have the paint cracking on the hoods and gaps that are all over the place Rolling Eyes

If your thinking about it you should really already at least have a large compressor and some body tools, sanders, grinders, etc.
If not, compressor + stuff $600-2000

And then if you have no talent or no real ambition it's all a waste of money anyway Wink
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I paint in a garage, or outside on a nice day. Turns out well enough since I know what I'm doing. A booth is nice but I don't have one at home where I do most of my work and keep my cars.

Paint cost for whole car. I gallon usually works of both primer and paint.

Primer $150
Paint $200
Sandpaper $250 (5 different 45yrd rolls of different grits, will last for a long time)
Body filler $50
Misc Tools and supplies, go to the swap meet $80
Gun, an entry level Finex or something $150
Cheap gun for primer $20

So basically $900 to get you going and you can have a paintjob as good as one that might cost 2,500-4,000 from a shop. And you probably do it better since you care more. You need to pay at least 5 grand to not have your car destroyed. If the price is cheaper BEWARE. They will not spend proper time on metal work and simply use lots of filler and rush the prep. Most people just aren't willing to spend the proper cash... that's why 90% of the shiny cars you see at shows look like shit close up and have the paint cracking on the hoods and gaps that are all over the place Rolling Eyes

If your thinking about it you should really already at least have a large compressor and some body tools, sanders, grinders, etc.
If not, compressor + stuff $600-2000

And then if you have no talent or no real ambition it's all a waste of money anyway Wink

I’m doing a 70 Clementine Orange Beetle right now. I’m in CA.
$500 for 1 gallon single stage TPC restoration shop line with hardener.
$45 one gallon of Upol Gold filler
$150 2 gallons of Poly Prime. I like to block at least twice.
$100 Epoxy primer and hardener for sealer
2 rolls of 150 grit $90
1 roll 320 $45
Tape etc
$950 in materials.

Then cutting and buffing…add another $150 in materials.
So $1100 just in materials.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

So there you go. We have a consensus.

It will cost roughly $1000 or more in materials. I would not do the work for less than $4000.

So, I think it's safe to say... For a QUALITY job it will cost at least a grand if you do it yourself or upwards of $5000 to pay a shop to paint the car and do the proper body work required beforehand. It can easily go over that if you want expensive paint or something too.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

Wait, the single stage urethane I get from TCP global is usually under $200 for a gallon w/ hardener. How are you getting $500?

I get my primer and reducer from SPI.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Wait, the single stage urethane I get from TCP global is usually under $200 for a gallon w/ hardener. How are you getting $500?

I get my primer and reducer from SPI.

Are you using AU restoration shop line? What colors? How long ago did you buy pa8nt from them? They charge more for anything in the red spectrum. That $500 including local shipping.
I know when I did my double cab two years ago a gallon of blue AU was about $300.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

Yep, acrylic urethane. The most expensive one I could find was a candy flake red and it was $240 for a complete gallon kit including hardener with free shipping.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Yep, acrylic urethane. The most expensive one I could find was a candy flake red and it was $240 for a complete gallon kit including hardener with free shipping.

Looked at the receipt today
$280 1 gallon AU paint
$150 1 quart AU
$60 hardener
Tax on the rest

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

Is having paint shipped to you really a good idea? How are you gonna get up in that guys face when he apparently has mixed your gallon while he was doing heroin?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What does a nothing paint job COST in materials only? Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
Is having paint shipped to you really a good idea? How are you gonna get up in that guys face when he apparently has mixed your gallon while he was doing heroin?

TCP global is a fairly big longstanding company with a reliable reputation. The colors they offer (not the custom mixed/color match ones) are made in large batches, maybe even measured with computers and such. They have many colors to choose from so it might make sense if want to paint a whole car and don't need an original color. I would use the same batch number tho for the whole car. I've also bought multiple different quarts before and then mixed up a custom color (I wanted a muted slightly blueish gray which they didn't quite offer.)

I had a gallon of paint get damaged and partially leak in the mail once. TCP offered me the choice of a replacement or a refund.

But yes, if you need a perfect match... I would have to agree buying online is a terrible idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: