Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Just got 1982 Westy with the 1.6 D i'm putting in a 1999 Cabrio
ABA I got it all fitting in under the lid I'am stuck on the wiring. It's OBD2
and I have all the Cabrio wiring. I looked on this site and others until my face
turned blue [like the color the van!] I am sure someone has a sketch or wiring
diagram how to wire it. Thanks in advance, Tim
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

probably a good idea to get your hands on the van bentley , and the red mk3 bentley as well

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

Look here....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=160
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

I'm only know ABA OBD1 to Vanagon but OBD2 should be quite similar. e.g this:

http://www.xjamiex.com/mk2resource/electrical/management/motronicvr6aba.html

shows similarities, differences, helps determine what wires to "keep".

Even if engine (management) had a leak detection pump, engine should run fine without LDP. Codes thrown for a missing LDP can be addressed later.

Can ABA OBD2 work properly with just one O2 ?

OBD1 works fine w/o VSS. Should be same for OBD2.

Connecting + (15) and B+ (battery +), good ground point, connections to dash, are common to OBD1 and 2.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

https://www.tdc-shop.com/

Just an option if you want to pay somebody to do the harness.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

I installed a '97 OBD2 Jetta 2.0 ABA into my '84 Vanagon and built this wiring diagram based largely on excellent info from Neil (Vanagon Nut). Ran excellent.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me 'in the moment', but it's been a long time since I referred to it. Maybe it will help if you can puzzle it out. I HOPE this is my final diagram - I don't have my jury-rigged operating manual with me at present so cannot confirm:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Thanks to Neil for weighing in below - Neil is a past master of the ABA wiring so has good advice - would not have been able to get my ABA up without his help)

Last edited by leecat on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

With all due respect to Lee (@ OP check his mad skills on the rear engine transverse VW I4 to Vanagon he did), it appears to me that Lees' wiring diagram is for ABA OBD1.

A few other points, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Lee's diagram appears to show an OEM power supply relay. Not shown, though implied I guess, is an internal positive connection from pin 30 to one side of the switch coil. The A3 OBD1 wiring diagram shows the fuel pump as same though I'm not certain VW didn't use a 4 pin relay there. Anyhow, proper generic 4 pin relays can be used for either or both. And as Lee's diagram shows for fuel pump relay, each relay would require "Vanagon B+" to relay 86.

Of note, the HO2S "module" is a relay. I've been using a generic 4 pin relay for that on my OBD1 ABA with no apparent ill effect. i'd think same could be done under OBD2.

The OBD2 A3 diagram shows fused 15 + to ECU; no relay is involved. 30 of fuel pump relay also supplies + to "a" buss. So, key to ignition on energizes part (or all of) ECU. Once engine turns/runs (fuel pump relay closes), positive flows to fuel pump, HO2S relay and to "a" buss for G3 junction to injectors and to E7 junction for other things.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
timole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks, No disrespect to anybody, but I think it is for OBD1 when I checked the pinouts they don't jive. Let's keep digging we're getting closer!
Lee or Vanagon Nut or some wonderful person is going to pull there notes out
and come to my rescue.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

OBD1 clues:

idle control valve similar to Vanagon Digifant type

blue colour EVAP purge valve

You can search ECU part numbers

A3 Bentley shows a pictorial and list of parts of OBD1 and 2 You really need that manual.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

VWhammers thread has a link to the ABA OBD2 pin out at A2 resource Idea

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9594365

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/management/motronicvr6aba.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

I have 2 Vanagon Bentleys , the one that covers all years and one that covers 1980 to 1982. ( Is that a rare one?) The Bentley for the ABA 1999 is in the mail.
Side note My girlfriend and I were trying to come up with a name for the van, out of the blue she comes up with BENTLEY not knowing that's the guy who wrote the book!
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

I know it does not help you now but I am back at the wiring on my van after a seven-month hiatus.

Pretty sure I have all the connections sorted and now I am just waiting on one of the seven pin round white connectors and matching terminals from brickwerks.

Those are the last bits I need to link my engine to the van wiring.

Anyway once the connector gets here I can build that harness.
Then I just need to shorten and lengthen a few wires to relocate some plugs, plug it all in and see if it works.

Once I get to that stage I will post up in my thread listed above with more details that might help people such as yourself.

I feel like, with the way tech and engines are advancing, the lowly ol' ABA swap is becoming a thing of the past and much of the documentation on how to do it is falling through the cracks.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

indeed the ABA is an antique/dinosaur at this point..
it's actually an rather rare car/engine to locate within a 5hr drive unless it's froma Cabrio.. all of the 93-99 jetta/golfs are long since soup canned.

it really won't be too long now that STOCK will be the preferred engine swap for our beloved vanagons.. just based upon engine availability,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

The good news is that there are piles of later model 2.0 8 valve engines that can be had for $500 or less all day long.

They are basically the evolution of the ABA.
They have no distributor and a much better flowing intake.
Certain years had a better exhaust manifold as well.

Both the intake and exhaust can be swapped on to the ABA.

If I had done a little more research before I did my engine swap I would have gone that route over the ABA.

I think on my next swap I am going to look into the 2.5L five cylinder 07K engine that can also be had for super cheap and makes 150-170 hp bone stock depending on the year you get.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

I thought the AEG 2.0 had a different oil pan because of the oil pump.
and requires a different adapter plate/kit.. (can't use the diesel bellhousing&oil pan combo).

I'm not well versed in AEG 2.0s.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

Hmm to be honest I am not sure of the oil pan differences with the ABA and AEG or later 2.0 if you are trying to use stock bits.

However, I am fairly certain that the AEG or later 2.0L eight valves can share oil pans with the ABA but you might have to change the rear main seal set up.

I'm no expert.

Anyway we are rambling on about a thing that has nothing to do with the OP's question I will suggest that we carry on this conversation in a new thread about such things.

To the OP, I hope to get my new parts this week to wrap up the OBD2 ABA wiring in my van.
As such, I hope to have some answers to your wiring questions.

4x4 build
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I thought the AEG 2.0 had a different oil pan because of the oil pump.
and requires a different adapter plate/kit.. (can't use the diesel bellhousing&oil pan combo).

I'm not well versed in AEG 2.0s.

indeed. same case for all the mk4+ stuff

would require one of the gen5 type swap kits like FAS, rather than all the diesel bits, to mount sideways back there.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
timole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with1982 Vanagon Westy ABA engine swap Reply with quote

OK, I got the book so do I have a pre or post Sept 1999?

And would be your friend for life if you got a sketch of the wiring for this swap.
Thank You
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: