Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

People placing WTB notes on your Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

If your Bus sits outside where people can see it, covered or not, then you are used to finding WTB notes on your windshield. I keep them all, not to contact them to sell my Bus, which I've owned for 32 years now, but as a collection, or reminder. I have gotten over 30 of these 'WTB' notes in the last 10 years, but today I got one like I've never seen before:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First police officer in my collection.

Why do I never call any of these back?

1) Don't want to sell it - most important - no For Sale sign anywhere on it.

2) Most of these people want to pay you what it was worth in 1985, you tell them the actual number these are being sold for, and they look at you like you slapped them in the face.

3) NONE of these notes ever say how much they want to give you.

If you are going to put a note on my Bus, put how much money you think I would entertain, that's all that's going to get my attention, period. If a buyer can't be bothered to check market value, this non-seller can't be bothered to tell them, no.

Anyone else have a collection of these notes, or stories?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

I have only received verbals for my other VWs.

I could see someone leaving a note for themselves, and I agree with your response.

But maybe they "have a friend" and are just making the initial inquiry on behalf of them, so they can't speak for the buyer on price. You might reply "Mine is not for sale at any price, but one in this condition usually goes for $xx,xxx" and leave it at that. I would make the call with Caller ID blocking on, though. No need to disclose anything more about you or your Bus.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

I had one guy stop me on the way into my place, from a truck out on the road - yelling from 30 feet away,"Hey is that your Bus, do you want to sell it!?". I say "NO", guy then blocking traffic in the road yells "Let me give you $10,000 for it!!". It was difficult to make a loud enough PFFFFT! to be heard 30 feet away, but I made it happen. He might as well have said to me, "Hey dummy, I know you've done all that work and the hard times spent keeping that Bus, but let me sell it for more than I buy it from you for, you're an idiot right?" This was 4 years ago, for the Bus in my gallery.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
If your Bus sits outside where people can see it, covered or not, then you are used to finding WTB notes on your windshield. ...............
2) Most of these people want to pay you what it was worth in 1985, you tell them the actual number these are being sold for, and they look at you like you slapped them in the face.

I bought a bus in 95, swapped the trans (PO said it was a howler), installed an engine, new battery, new brakes. Found a rear bumper, jailbars, and misc other items. Got it going nicely.
Then was offered 1/3 of what I paid for it. This was in person.
Ya, I don't bother to call them back. Laughing Laughing
A year or two later I drove it 800 miles to a show and was swapping parts. Guys kept asking to buy parts off the bus. "Will you sell the rear bumper?"
How much for the roof rack? safari windows? emblem?

I guess I might call if I was interested in selling. I drove my kombi to a show recently, and someone who I was talking with said he was interested in getting a bus, I said I might sell it. He asked a price, and I said, well, it's right here. Take a look and make and offer.
He didn't make an offer.

Took my 53 to a show in 2018, and had a few things out at the swap. A guy offered me $5K for the bus. Five thousand for a bus I drove to the show. Rolling Eyes
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

I park in front of a building next to the busy high-end Market where I work, it is our business offices & Bakery, people wander in and ask about my truck, usually they laugh & tell them it's not for sale, it happens 3-4 times a Summer, I've told the folks that work in that building to tell them I want $50,000, no takers yet... Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

I don't ever get notes, but I get people asking me to sell the bus I am driving from time to time. I tell them that is is not for sale, but what would they think something like it should sell for. They are usually at about 10%-20% of value.

Way more often, I have people tell me that my buses are valuable. Plenty of people tell me that I am sitting on a gold mine. My response is that they are worthless if I never sell them.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

I rarely get notes anymore but I have gotten them in the past.

I do get people asking me sometimes.
For some reason it's usually guys screaming "Will you sell it?" across a gas station from 2 rows over. This has happened a bunch of times.
I usually pretend I don't hear them because I'm not going to scream across other people to answer.

The best story was when I was in my '55 Kombi at a swap meet.
I had another Bus for sale at home and I put a for sale sign in the window with details on the other Bus.
A guy came up and seemed annoyed it wasn't the Kombi for sale.
He asked me how much I would sell the Kombi for (it wasn't for sale) and messing around I said "You can't afford it"
He went crazy and start screaming at me that I don't know what he can afford, blah, blah, blah.
I laughed and told him it wasn't for sale so it didn't matter.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The best story ..

About 5 years ago i was at a cruise night and a guy was asking me about the car and said he wanted to build a fast Beetle. I took him for a short ride and after he asked what it would cost to build one like that. I told him more than what i'd sell it for. He walked away by came back an hour later with $5000 and said it would be a down payment and he could get the rest tomorrow.

I told him i wasn't ready to sell so he gave me his card.

I saw him get into a BMW i8 and leave.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

Yeah, I always get the "incremental guy". "Will you take 50K, will you take 75K, how about 100K?"
Like a test to see where I break. I love my bus, but I would not sell it unless his asinine offer exceeds twice the true value to ensure I make money and buy another Bus. One thing you can't buy is the Fun the Bus offers, even the troubles sometime, but a few Bus guys I meet are just in it for the novelty, to be "Hip". It just doesn't drive like a R Rover, Testicle, or Beemer, and why is that?

I know where I stand with most b/c I have an oil fan that runs when the motor is shut off, they say "Is that electric?" I say yes, look underneath, there is a special Belly Pan for the batteries. He will tell his friends he saw an electric splitty, but he will leave out he wasted my and his time.
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

Sorry, not a note but:

The day after a neighbourhood meal, somebody we know sent me a message telling how much I wanted for one of my busses because my wife said to her girlfriend to put an offer and I should be ready to talk.

MY WIFE!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

I use to get notes on my 1959 double cab all the time..now people in town just either see me with it all the time and know its not for sale, and word spreads fast around town,plus they see me driving it so they don't even bother anymore.

but I still will leave a note on a car if it looks like its been sitting or if reg is out of date,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

As with others i used to get notes all the time but not any more. For the most part people want to share with me what my bus is worth i guess to make sure i am aware. Mostly at gas stations.

From time to time i do get strangers stopping at my home to ask me if it is for sale. You can tell they are flippers wanting to buy that "old bus"

Part of owning a bus...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

Pau wrote:
Sorry, not a note but:

The day after a neighbourhood meal, somebody we know sent me a message telling how much I wanted for one of my busses because my wife said to her girlfriend to put an offer and I should be ready to talk.

MY EX-WIFE!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Fixed it for ya.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
As with others i used to get notes all the time but not any more. For the most part people want to share with me what my bus is worth i guess to make sure i am aware. Mostly at gas stations.

From time to time i do get strangers stopping at my home to ask me if it is for sale. You can tell they are flippers wanting to buy that "old bus"

Part of owning a bus...

It’s a public service to engage them five phone calls and then tell them they got outbid
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

Not my bus, but still a relevant story.. So back in the dark ages before cell phones existed I accidentally slid my 69 bug off the road. Minimal damage, but it was hung up on a sign pole and I couldn't get it free. I ended up having to walk to a payphone to call AAA, and when I got back to the car there was a note under the wiper. It said "Sucks about your bug, wanna sell it?" with a phone number. I didn't call them.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

That's how I got mine. 1995, had to go to work the day after Thanksgiving, Scottsdale Airpark. Driving past the Waste Management offices, I notice a solitary split, alone in the parking lot. Not in a hurry to get to the job I looped through the parking lot, stopped and checked things out.

As I had just sold my boat, I needed a new hole to throw $$$ into. I had a 1960 panel in the late 60's and remembered a little. I left my card. The owner called a few days later and interviewed me as to what my intentions were with his bus.

I assured him my intentions were honorable and I would not be chopping it up for a dune buggy. The price was nice, just what I got for the boat. When I asked if he had the back seat he told me he had the entire Sundial camper interior at his house. The deal was made, the rest is history.

Yes, I still have it.

dgsaz
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
That's how I got mine. 1995, had to go to work the day after Thanksgiving, Scottsdale Airpark. Driving past the Waste Management offices, I notice a solitary split, alone in the parking lot. Not in a hurry to get to the job I looped through the parking lot, stopped and checked things out.

As I had just sold my boat, I needed a new hole to throw $$$ into. I had a 1960 panel in the late 60's and remembered a little. I left my card. The owner called a few days later and interviewed me as to what my intentions were with his bus.

I assured him my intentions were honorable and I would not be chopping it up for a dune buggy. The price was nice, just what I got for the boat. When I asked if he had the back seat he told me he had the entire Sundial camper interior at his house. The deal was made, the rest is history.

Yes, I still have it.

dgsaz

I'll give you 5K ! for it, right now, green cash ! w/o seeing it ! right now, real money ! I've heard that 1000's of times
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

No one usually asking to buy the mango but i get the occasional "oh if it had xyz windows they get a ton for them at the auctions". At that point i nod and carry on with what i was doing.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

Still fairly new to the hobby, but I had a cold call text message earlier this year, my first, I felt honored. No idea who the number was or who they were referring to - "Hey, my buddy (name I never heard of) said that you have a split window for sale. I have been looking for one for a while now. I can give you $10000 for it".

1. No idea who his 'buddy' was, I save all contacts VW related. 2. My bus isn't/wasn't for sale. 3. He didn't even have a picture of it to make an offer haha.

I also had my single cab at a mechanic the other year getting some tires. My mechanic whom I've known for 20+ years calls me and goes "I've had at 8 people stop today to ask if it's for sale, what should I tell them?"
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: People placing WTB notes on your Bus Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
"I've had at 8 people stop today to ask if it's for sale, what should I tell them?"

You tell them yes! The answer is always yes! I've sold several VW's that I planned on keeping forever. But when someone shows up with a stack of hundreds thick enough, hell, I'll walk home. I get that some people have extreme sentimental attachment to a certain car. Maybe your Dad bought it new, or you took your wife on your first date in it 50 years ago or something. And that's totally fair. But for the majority of us, let's be honest, they made millions of Buses. If someone wants mine more than I do, and they're willing to pay the "I don't want to sell it" price, they can have it.
I'm not talking about selling just for the sake of selling, at fair market value, and not being able to replace it. But if it allows me to upgrade into a better, more valuable VW I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford, I'll take the deal in a heartbeat.

As for the window notes, like most posters here, I've always found they were just dreamers who were willing to 'take it off my hands' for $500. I guess you can't fault them for trying.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: