Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat in cabin
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greaser2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

Even with heat control to off I’m getting some hot air on the driver side. Passenger side is fine. My thought is the valve on the heat exchanger is not closing well. I have tried to fittle with it by hand and it seems to close as far as it wants too. Looks like have to remove the entire heat exchanger to get to the valve and try to get it to close 100%. Is this true? Anything else I should try first?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

Greaser2 wrote:
Even with heat control to off I’m getting some hot air on the driver side. Passenger side is fine. My thought is the valve on the heat exchanger is not closing well. I have tried to fittle with it by hand and it seems to close as far as it wants too. Looks like have to remove the entire heat exchanger to get to the valve and try to get it to close 100%. Is this true? Anything else I should try first?

Check to see if you have a little slack on the control cable at the control valve. If you don't, then the cable is too tight, and the valve won't close. An m-8 socket and ratchet should be all the tools you need to re-set it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

I have one flapper that gets half cocked in the heat exchanger on the drivers side,and stays partly open, I have to open and close it a couple times to get it to close flat on the opening

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

I had to add a helper spring to one of mine to assist with closing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
I had to add a helper spring to one of mine to assist with closing.

Smart Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cpaz5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

If you have already gone through all the interior cabin flaps and cables (as suggested already) and chase the issue back to the heat exchanger's internal flap, then it's likely a broken spring on the back of the flap. I've changed out a handful of them over the years and most recently last month on my current square rebuild. There is a small torsion spring that keeps the flap oriented when closing and that spring often rusts and fails eventually. I've made springs in the past but this time found that a spring from a toggle bolt was just right.

Taking it apart and replacing the part is not overly difficult, but it is tedious and fiddly. If you aren't mechanically inclined, I would not recommend taking it apart. Coincidentally, even the Bentley manual has some brief discussion of taking the exchangers partially apart for repairs (like this one). Good luck.
Greaser2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat in cabin Reply with quote

I pulled the exchanger off this weekend, not difficult at all and the flap appears to work perfectly. Put it back on and loosened the cable a bit more. Will test drive it to see if it persists.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: