Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Heres the deal. I just got a 64 EZ camper that is originally white and I have begun stripping the second aftermarket cheesey paint job. I noticed that the cheesy paint job comes off very easily with a razorblade only where they primered it underneath. When the bus was repainted, it was only spot primered in various places. I guess they just scuff & sprayed the rest.
I have had good luck on other busses with Easy Off oven cleaner but this particular bus isnt goung to be that easy. The razor blade isnt working where it is directly on top of the OG paint.
Is there a product that you know of that will loosen the crappy paint before ruining the OG paint underneath? Thanks

=====================================

Moderator Summary
Products recommended to try to strip back to original paint:
* Chemical Strippers
* Putty knifes (plastic, get a bunch as the edge will go dull after a while)
* Razor Blades (plastic are best)
* Scotch-brite pads (No-scratch ones)
* Steel wool - Super fine #0000

Strippers
3M Safest Stripper
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Citristrip:

Graffiti Remover

Notes: Or similar products

Jasco Paint and Epoxy Stripper

Notes: Can be harsh, probably best to try other products first and you must act quickly once it starts peeling

If you have anything else to add to this summary, PM Everettb with information
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I cant help with you current problem.
you use easy off? how so, just spray on crappy paint and let it sit for a while?

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right. We talked about this a little yesterday. This is a picture I took to send to 20tre in NC of a bumper I bought from him. When I got it it was painted all white, bumper, trim, and insert. I used aircraft stripper. Now if you look close you can see, I only sprayed it from where the outside of the bumper guards would be to the end of the bumper. All that white in the center is after market the two ends of the blade are OG white now.

Now keep an eye on it. I am planning on repainting the entire bumper so it didnt matter but there are a couple of quater size spots where it went all the way through. It goes back to what you were saying at the show, do little sections at a time. I was trying to do both sides at the same time and some spots got away from me.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not work for the type of paint you are working on but when I was cleaning the engine compartment of the Thing with Castrol Super Clean I noticed it removed more of the oxidization off of the house paint that was used as the camouflage paint than the factory paint on the Thing. So I used blue paper shop towels, soaked them with super clean and kept it soaked by spraying alittle more on every ten miutes or so on each towel for about an hour and the cheap paint lifted off the OG paint. I found it will also remove rattle can paint if left on a few minutes. It is worth a try and wont' hurt good original paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasco Paint and Epoxy Stripper. Work quickly in small areas and have a huge bucket of water and a big old sponge ready to throw on it to deactivate the chemicals if it starts to blister the original. I'm getting pretty far on my '53 Panel and should have the majority of the Bus stripped by the end of this week if not sooner. I also use a dull paint scraper, a razor, light steel wool, and 3M abrasive mesh pads for rubbing, scuffing, polishing softened paint off, etc. BE CAREFUL! Remember, it's better to take your time than to have to touch up a thousand spots.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinCompton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have more pics of their results?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim, to remove non-OG paint and primer, I have had great luck with Graffiti Remover. Start out with a small area and don't let it stay on the paint too long, just a few seconds. Use a towel to wipe it off and you will be amazed at how easy it is. It will remove top layers of paint and primer, but be careful because it will go through the OG paint too. As long as you start out slow and get a feel for how long to leave the remover on, you'll get it. Better to wipe the remover off too soon, until you get a hang of it. No matter what kind of remover you use, remember to wipe all of it off completely, or it will continue to eat through the layers. In the case of the pics below, we were not trying to get to OG paint, just down to where the logos were.

Primer removal on front logo - "before"

Primer removal on front logo - "after"

Passenger's side logo - "before"

Passenger's side logo - "after"

Dash - "before"

Dash - "in process" There is no red paint left on the dash after this pic was taken. I don't have an after pic, sorry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was amazing. BTW, that ICE logo bus kicks ass. Period.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinCompton wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=77398

Jasco Paint and Epoxy remover, 3M abrasive mesh pads, and TONS of patience. Just that half of the long panel took about 8 hours today. I don't want to know how many hours I have into this stripping project so far, definitely over 100.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 1/3 of the Thing was covered in brown paint. Unfortunately I didn't take any before shots.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=18032
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=18033
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSkim wrote:
That was amazing. BTW, that ICE logo bus kicks ass. Period.

Thanks, the ICE BUS now belongs to my buddy Brad (Jawohl), and he has a lot of fun with it.

It's all about the patience, believe me. I would so much rather strip a layer or two of crap and get down to something cool and old, than just have new paint sprayed. Amyone can hire a painter, it takes actual sweat and many, many beers to remove paint. A real bonding time with your bus too!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are scaring the crap out of me!!! after reading Brendans post about over 100 plus hours i damn near crapped my pants. i was going to attempt doing mine on 4th of july weekend if the weather is nice but that is a long ass time!!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus, I think you're missing the point. I've long believed that OG paint is the way to go. If you know that OG paint is under some crappy paint, why not go for it and try to bring it out. It's not something that you could get done in a weekend or maybe even two, and not something that you would want your half-drunk non-VW loving buddies to help you with either. I bet that Brad and I have 50-60 hours at least into his bus, just on the paint and logos, and it's not done yet. What this endeavour will get you is a bond with your bus and bring it closer to originality (if that's what you want). Nothing worthwhile is easy.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
you guys are scaring the crap out of me!!! after reading Brendans post about over 100 plus hours i damn near crapped my pants. i was going to attempt doing mine on 4th of july weekend if the weather is nice but that is a long ass time!!!!

Hey Paul, GO FOR IT!

Start small on some inobtrusive area, find what works, and repeat.
The good news is that they probably painted the whole thing the same way over large areas, so cleaning it off should work just about everywhere once you find what works in a small part.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i am going to do it. i know it is going to result in OG velvet green below the blue white with a lot of rust and bondo thrown in!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type877 wrote:
Skim, to remove non-OG paint and primer, I have had great luck with Graffiti Remover. Start out with a small area and don't let it stay on the paint too long, just a few seconds. Use a towel to wipe it off and you will be amazed at how easy it is. It will remove top layers of paint and primer, but be careful because it will go through the OG paint too. As long as you start out slow and get a feel for how long to leave the remover on, you'll get it. Better to wipe the remover off too soon, until you get a hang of it. No matter what kind of remover you use, remember to wipe all of it off completely, or it will continue to eat through the layers. In the case of the pics below, we were not trying to get to OG paint, just down to where the logos were.

Primer removal on front logo - "before"

Primer removal on front logo - "after"

Passenger's side logo - "before"

Passenger's side logo - "after"

Dash - "before"

Dash - "in process" There is no red paint left on the dash after this pic was taken. I don't have an after pic, sorry.

damn ken- freakin' sweet. i love the comparison, very nice job guys...bring them back -
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
KevinCompton wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=77398

Jasco Paint and Epoxy remover, 3M abrasive mesh pads, and TONS of patience. Just that half of the long panel took about 8 hours today. I don't want to know how many hours I have into this stripping project so far, definitely over 100.

Damn - alot nicer then the baby-shit brown. your doing that panel justice-
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I wish I had thought of stripping the paint off this way. Because my bus probably would have came out pretty good. Well other than where the rust is and the rust. Laughing

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
Damn I wish I had thought of stripping the paint off this way. Because my bus probably would have came out pretty good. Well other than where the rust is and the rust. Laughing

I thought I saw pics of the nose where you were starting to strip it down?
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
KevinCompton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Skim wrote:
Quote:
DubStyle wrote:
Damn I wish I had thought of stripping the paint off this way. Because my bus probably would have came out pretty good. Well other than where the rust is and the rust.

I thought I saw pics of the nose where you were starting to strip it down?

I think maybe your thinking of dubluv, although he tried it on the rear, not the nose.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 53

Jump to: