Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I bought replacement doors for my '63 (I have one piece windows and want to go back to stock)
They are in really good shape but you can see that they have been repainted a few times .
I wanted to know what the original color was (and I like to know what's underneath all the paint )
I started with a little rubbing compound and then worked on to paint stripper .
There is body filler and bare metal at the bottom of the door, but it is thinly applied
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the Ruby Red is the factory color

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Took a bit more off
The red was actually over the green
And under the green is steel

Java Green ?
Sargasso Green?
Ceramic Green?

So...
Factory Green of some sort
Ruby Red
Butterscotch Orange
Taxi Cab Yellow
Bahama Blue
And finally , back to a Java Green in a very thin coat

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Very inspiring thread! Too bad so many of the pictures from the earlier pages are gone. I saw a 356 and a Corvair so I guess it's ok to show my 912 project.

On first sight it looks OK and just has a lot of patina

But the red/orange respray is really bad and was sprayed over rubbers and other parts.

and there is some nasty water stains that can't be polished out

At many spots you see the original Coffee Brown already peaking through

As I live in The Netherlands and unfortunately you cannot buy many of the products mentioned in this thread I have to find other products/brands.

I am working very cautiously so I did a couple of tests with acetone on a q-tip first at some hidden spots so I know there is coffee brown

underneath the badge there is only bare metal Sad

At most spots it is two layers of red/orange paint and primer but on some panels it is just one layer of red paint and I found a method that I believe has not been described here.

Here's a before of a panel in the engine compartment (I already did a spot on the left)

then I tape the whole panel with ductape

press it on firmly and just rip it of

Tadaaaa!

and after polishing

I have now started on the roof with graffiti remover and paint stripper so I moved past the point of no return Smile

It's quite cold here now so the graffiti remover and paint stripper I found do not work that well as they would with higher temperatures and also it is not much fun to work in my cold garage so I will probably make more progress in the summer
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Did a larger part of the roof with paint remover

Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Wow MDKG, that paint removal must be a very satisfying job to do.
That original paint looks very good! Thankfully the previous owner didn't seem to prep before applying the red paint.

Love the duct tape method Applause
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Started removing paint from roof of my '67 bus. It is cold (20*), I tested with the graffiti stripper and oven cleaner but they didn't have any noticeable affect on what appears to be a decent respray in dated baby blue color scheme.

I used sand paper: 180 dry to knock down the blue, followed by 320 dry to start revealing the white primer, followed by 400 wet thus far which reveals glimpses of the original pearl white color (kinda beige in the picture). I polished up a little of it with 1500 grit wet to make sure it was salvageable. The dark spots are little filler fixes on roof dents that were under the blue paint, but applied to bare metal.

I think it will clean up good. I may wait until summer and see if I can make some of the chemical strippers work, especially in the tight places (rain gutters, vents, etc.).

I've got pearl white paint laying around, so some touch up should be easy.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

This thread is awesome!

Will Ez Off Oven cleaner damage any engine parts once rinsed off with water?

Should i mask the engine when trying it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

My father and I are also removing some layers of primer spots and aftermarket paints on our '67 13 window deluxe bus.

When we started, the lower half was painted in some kind of dull light grey paint. On the inside of the filler cap and many other spots we still could see original sea blue paint (L360). So we took some sanding paper and tried to remove some of the aftermarket paint - we chose a spot that was hidden, so it wouldn't be that bad if we messed it up.

But it all turned out fine. So we started with a sanding machine (papers: 120, 180, 240), removed the first layers of grey paint and then we used wet sanding papers. At first 600 or 800 (very careful!) and at the end 1000.

This is what our bus looks like at the moment, can't wait to see it completely in original paint again!

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Just starting. Looks like under the metallic blue I have primer, then what appears to be a thin dove blue repaint (lighter and less blue) and then what I think is original dove blue. I tried the graffiti remover method it wasn't doing much so I went with 1500 wet sanding by hand for that spot

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Now that I've gotten some work done on the exterior of our project, here's how we're stripping our '56 to OG Jupiter Grey.

I read all the various threads here on TS and found a method that I'm happy with. Bear in mind, my exterior OG paint was heavily scuffed, then red oxide primer, a green primer and then the evil white gloss topcoat. The white and maybe the green are enamel and the red is lacquer from the way they react. First I sand the whole surface carefully to remove most of the white and get down to a little of the green. Then graffiti remover goes on and soaks for a time. Next I use Scotchbrite or steel wool pads and acetone to remove most of the layers of gunk. Next step is rags and more acetone until the surface is smooth of most residue. Bear in mind that I won't be able to save the OG as my final paint as the painter really sanded/scuffed it hard before primer but I want to use the original as my basis for the new topcoats if possible. Here's a couple of shots of the roof during the process:

The interior was a totally different matter since the painter got lazy. He barely scuffed the Jupiter and then just sprayed a heavy coat of the nasty white. He did a good job of coverage, though...... Rolling Eyes Here I used the same method but with a LOT less elbow grease needed and the OG paint looks great after a little rubbing compound and polish.

Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

acetone, 0000, a micro cloth, and a piece of wood to occasionally scrape (works better than plastic paint scrapers).

I'm floored that what i thought was oxidation is actually gray primer.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Got this bus now for a month, originally was from bundespost in Germany, after that it went to Greece and now back to Belgium..

Has been resprayed there with lots of filler.

So i'm going to try to put it back in it's original yellow, the filler peels right off at some places showing a perfect OG paint.

Hopefully will get some good results with graffiti remover..

[/img]
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips guys. So I'm using the Goof Off graffiti remover with pretty good results. The problem I have is getting in to little nooks and crannies without scraping little surrounding spots down to bare metal.

I'm using a nylon abrasive brush with a handle which knocks down large areas pretty well. Then for the finer stuff like in the cracks I'm using a blue scotch brite abrasive pad.

So how do I get in those tight spots without disturbing the surrounding area?

Thanks
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

The little nooks and crannies are definitely harder. I had pretty good luck with a bit of graffiti remover, let it soak a little, and then use a plastic scraper with a small tip to gently work the aftermarket paint loose. It's tedious but works well.

On the subject of graffiti remover--has anyone else found that it works better on a hot surface? I stripped the interior of our oval in the shop on rather cool days and the remover only worked fair. I just did part of the outside on a hot day in the sun and the stuff seems to work better...….
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'll try a plastic scraper. Or maybe some plastic razor blades? Maybe I'll try the hard to reach places first so I don't wear the surrounding paint? Thinking out loud.

As for heat, I haven't personally tried, but I have read that using a hair dryer or temp gun, working in the sun, etc... does help the paint come off easier.
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Think I am at 1/4 now with the brown on the 912

Hit some repaired spots at the edge of the hood so painted it flat black

Steps I take now:

1. Remove the top 2 layers with a razor blade
2. Brush next layer with paint stripper and wait a few minutes (not too long)
3. Remove layer with putty knife (less damage compared to razor blade I found out)
4. Repeat 2 and 3 if necessary if last primer layer is still too thick
5. Brush on more paint stripper
6. Gently rub with a wet Scotch-Brite pad (fine)
7. Wipe of with damp cloth
8. Remove remaining primer with fine steel wool (00000) soaked with aceton
9. Wipe of with damp cloth
10. "Nutralize" with cleaner (I use Meguiars no water wash)
11. Polish with D/A machine
12. Wax

For the edges I sometimes use a precision knife or wetsand with 600 or 800 grid and I learned that it is best to start with the difficult spots first otherwise I mess up the already finished parts around them.
licketysplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

That's pretty much what I just tried as well:

Spray nooks and crannies with goof off graffiti remover

let sit for about 10 min

scrape with plastic putty knife

Wipe clean with rag

repeat.

Here's a couple pics: the top of the bulge I did with a nylon scrubber and you can see it damaged the surrounding areas down to the metal

The bottom of the bulge I did with a plastic putty knife. Did not get down to metal at all. Very Happy

JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

i’ve got a question for you guys. not sure if the light blue is my paint or white that’s underneath?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

JaimeReyes wrote:
i’ve got a question for you guys. not sure if the light blue is my paint or white that’s underneath?

Based on your other photos, it's most likely the light blue.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

licketysplit wrote:
That's pretty much what I just tried as well:

Spray nooks and crannies with goof off graffiti remover

let sit for about 10 min

scrape with plastic putty knife

Wipe clean with rag

repeat.

Here's a couple pics: the top of the bulge I did with a nylon scrubber and you can see it damaged the surrounding areas down to the metal

The bottom of the bulge I did with a plastic putty knife. Did not get down to metal at all. Very Happy

Excellent results. That's pretty much been the same outcome I've had since starting to use the plastic scrapers. It takes a bit of time but you've definitely got it going your way now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 53

Jump to: