Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Easy or not, the OG looks like it's in really good shape after you're done. So, to make sure I understand correctly, no scraping? The OG did come up a treat though frenchroast. Nice work. Edit....... Sorry, I see you did do some scraping.....nevertheless still looks great.
Zozo, I guess your choices are: strip the rest of the corner and then blend in to match the existing colour ( the pre-fade spray ), continue to strip the bus until back to OG, or leave it as is. I would say you're not at the point of no return yet, so still a few options for you. Good luck.
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I realize that most here have chosen this path to restoring their OG, and I've followed the entire thread, because of aesthetics and economy versus a repaint. I own a 67 Porsche 912 like MDKG, though his is a coupe, mine is a Soft Window Targa. I'm pretty much sold on the search for OG......and have tried some exploratory scrubs to reveal my Bahama Yellow. MDKG, had six layers to strip, mine looks like an Earl Scheib Resale Red respray and a bright lemon yellow primer and then the Bahama Yellow. Got down to BY with some acetone on a rag and some vigorous rubbing in about 30 seconds. If the whole thing goes like that it would be great....but I'm sure that won't be the case. Pretty sure there are some hidden bondo madness areas lurking. My question though: is there any way to assess if this method of returning to OG versus a repaint would result in a higher , say, resale value? Even anecdotal evidence? I know that for most the consideration is not about ever selling your ride, but returning to the original colour specifically for you personally and frankly most of the buses I've seen here deserve the return to their original paint. Not worried if it isn't pristine, just want an honest return to the colour my car shipped with from the factory. Totally get the reasons behind getting back to the OG.....curiosity only.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I have definitely seen some VWs sell for more money because they are "original paint" even if they were stripped and partially repaired/touched up.

I don't know about Porsches, that could be a totally different market.
The general Porsche buyer may be more about mint or near mint condition and shiny paint.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Everett. Still plenty of interest in the Porsche world too for a "survivor". OG is still revered in a lot of circles. A great thread though.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Made progress on the 69 bug today. Finished stripping the decklid and did one 1000grit wet sand pass. There's still a slight bit of grey primer respray in spots to finish sanding off. I decided to sand the remaining primer because steel wool and mineral spirits wasn't removing it. The steel wool was also creating swirl marks even though it was super fine.
The license plate cover was deeply sanded down to bare metal in spots during the respray prep so I plan to spray that separately. Also, I don't have a paint depth gauge but the left side decklid OG may be pretty thin; I think I see a rouge shadow of OG primer. We'll see how it turns out after I finish wet sanding. If necessary, I'll think about leaving as-is or blending in a single coat. I'll probably finish sanding and polishing this week. I've figured out my paint removal technique now and am more comfortable using a razor blade.
When the L90C paint is uncut and unpolished you can really see how much blue and black there is in this shade of white. It almost appears grey when when contrasted against the white respray.
So far I estimate I have 20 hours in the decklid and apron. The work can be tedious but I'm happy with the results so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Looks like it's coming along nicely. It is amazing how much different the respray is from the OG.
peterfraenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

hi everyone, had a question. On my 76 Westfalia there is a yellow stripe that runs all the way through the bus. I’m trying to remove that yellow stripe and get down to the green that seems to be underneath. I’m not trying to get to “original” paint because i’m fairly sure the PO stripped it completely to repaint it (a not very correct sage green), however once they did that they just threw on some it appears crappy yellow house paint or something and called it a day. So i’m just trying to remove that top layer of yellow garbage and get down to the respray paint underneath ( i want the whole bus green). I’ve been chipping off the paint little by little with a razor blade but that isn’t seeming to be very effective in terms of getting it off without scraping the green underneath. i tried some acetone and 0000 steel wool with absolutely 0 result of getting the yellow off :/ so just trying to find something that will strip it without stripping the non factory grade paint job underneath that wasn’t done that well in the first place, thanks
peterfraenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

here’s some pics

Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

If it's house paint, any idea if it's latex, oil, or alkyd? Have you tried a pressure wash? Graffiti remover? Heat gun to soften? Try plastic razor blades for scraping if scraping seems to work. You may need to try a number, or combination, of approaches.
Raymondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Whats the safest way of trying to get your paint back to OG? Would it be 1000 grit wet sanding?

Id like to get my bug back to its original savannah beige its been sprayed about 7 shades of different purple and had an awful lot of fake patina on the roof that i stripped. I remember there being no primer between the new paint and the old when i did that.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Raymondo wrote:
Whats the safest way of trying to get your paint back to OG? Would it be 1000 grit wet sanding?

Id like to get my bug back to its original savannah beige its been sprayed about 7 shades of different purple and had an awful lot of fake patina on the roof that i stripped. I remember there being no primer between the new paint and the old when i did that.

so......................... you didn't read the thread? at all?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

So.... Motsenbockers fans, is this the same stuff? Says Lift Off but the rest doesn't look the same? It is the only stuff available at my Home Depot.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I’ve stripped a few cars with some of the things mentioned in this thread, and it’s definitely a case by case basis. I’m working on removing primer on a one owner pearl white pigalle’66 that was stolen from the original owner, then recovered. The thieves primered over the original paint, and put some sort of red paint in heavily surface rusted areas. This particular primer definitely doesn’t come off easily. I tried acetone first with 0000 steel wool, and that doesn’t work without a lot of elbow grease. Wet sanding will obviously work, but you won’t be left with a natural looking finish. I want to try the graffiti remover, so we’ll see how that goes. Easy off definitely doesn’t seem to work very well, especially in colder weather, so hopefully the graffiti remover will work well.
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

@jays58,

Curious if you tried any heat before/during testing with the acetone and steel wool?
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I'm in the process of stripping paint from my bus. Here is my process and photos. Hope this helps someone and if you see something I can do better, let me know. Took me a few small test sections to figure out the timing. Test test test.

The layers I see so far are: CLEARCOAT>SHINY PURPLE>GREY PRIMER>DULL PURPLE>RED PRIMER>DOVE BLUE

Step 1: Applied Goof-Off Graffiti and let it sit for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Used a metal scraper to scrape bubbly layers.
Step 3: Repeated steps 1 and 2 until I start seeing the RED PRIMER.
Step 4: Applied Goof Off and started using a 0000 steel wool to massage RED PRIMER to reveal DOVE BLUE.
Step 5: Sprayed area with water and wipe down to deactivate all Goof-Off.

*Photos below are the steps, but may be different sections

AFTER FIRST APPLICATION OF GOOF-OFF AND SCRAPE

APPLIED SECOND APPLICATION OF GOOF-OFF TO LEFT SIDE ONLY

AFTER SECOND SCRAPE OF LEFT SIDE ONLY

AFTER THIRD APPLICATION OF GOOF-OFF AND MASSAGE WITH 0000 STEEL WOOL, AND WATER WIPE DOWN AND DRY

Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Looks like some real progress there volkswagen60. The OG is looking decent.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I’ve spent hundreds of hours stripping paint but this was probably the worst part I’ve stripped back to og. Few different paint layers and then covered in bondo. Many places where the bondo was nearly 1/4in thick. Was given 2 58 decklids from a buddy last year. Stripped the first one back rather easily and attempted this one last year but the paint wouldn’t budge. I shoved it in the corner and tried again a month ago and finally broke through to og paint. Found the phone number which then ended up having a different phone number underneath it so I decided to strip back to the first phone number on it. Was able to save the phone number pretty good I think. Not perfect but a much nicer wall hanger now.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Larry Engelmann wrote:
Looks like some real progress there volkswagen60. The OG is looking decent.

Thanks!! Here’s a few updates!
And I post updates on my IG if you’re interested Very Happy

blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I was planning on repainting my bus, I don't know what sparked me to try to see if the original Niagara Blue survived, but I started striping it and I'm happy with what I found. Sure is slow going though.
There's factory paint>primer>ugly green>primer

Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

What are you using as a stripper? Coming up a treat though!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 53

Jump to: