Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and cons of lightning flywheel
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

67 Baha, building a 1600 with 88 mm piston kit, Engle 110 cam, single progressive weber. I can resurface and lighten my flywheel or get a new stock flywheel. What's the pros and cons ???
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

a lightning flywheel sounds sketchy!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

no but on a serious note...a lightened flywheel allows the engine to rev faster, which can help in performance (racing) applications. Benefit on the street? none really other than they can be more "fun". Stock weight flywheels keep the engine from revving quickly (up OR down). Can definitely be a good thing for heavier cars like buses or a Baja beetle thats going to cruise around in the forests.

for what you're doing, Id keep the stock weight flywheel.
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Thanks for the "lightning" response Smile Stock flywheel it is then. Cheers
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

That, all of it Wink

On a second note, 1680 cc. - Baja, progressive,,,, That cam is NOT what you want. You want torque, not rpm power (I would expect)
Web 218/119 at the most.
I´m thinking CB 2234
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
That, all of it Wink

On a second note, 1680 cc. - Baja, progressive,,,, That cam is NOT what you want. You want torque, not rpm power (I would expect)
Web 218/119 at the most.
I´m thinking CB 2234

GreenZoomBug,
Listen to this guy. He's brilliant when it comes to building good, reliable engines, that do what they are intended to do!

Personally, I soak up every post from Alstrup. The man knows his shit!

Sled is no slacker either. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

I find lightened flywheels are great on Beetles. It helps get them off the line quicker. You don't have to be racing, just pulling away from a traffic light or stop sign it will make a noticeable improvement. And getting on the highway, you'll get up to speed quicker.

Now for a Bus you want the stock weight since it needs the energy that it stores to keep it moving.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Pros of lightening: quicker acceleration. Cons: jerky on decel, and carries less inertia for starting from a dead stop.

Pros of heavy: easier to drive because it has a smoother decel and you can load-up the engine to get going from a dead stop. Cons: slower acceleration.

I use lighter flywheels on everything. Even on a near stock engine, I'd compensate less inertia with more compression to get moving easy.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

probably be beneficial to know how light were talking?
average lightened flywheel is what 12, 13 lbs?
I've got one in my rail and can't say I've ever noticed anything negative at all. i thought about getting an aluminum / steel flywheel that was 6lbs but thought that might be going to far ...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Use your original german one.

It's chrome vanadium which is the best material for these

The new reproductions are chromoly which is almost as good.

OG is always best.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

I see a lot of pictures with new flywheels, I think they don't know it's cast iron and the original is steel.
A "8-dowel" cast flywheel should NOT exist, but it does, and they sell a lot of them I'm sure, and they are "lightened" a few pounds too.... even more profitable! requires less material to make, and reduces shipping costs Laughing

And they ARE just fine for mild engines, mexican VW taxis all had cast flywheels. Rarely hear any complaints about it.
But it's not as strong as a steel one, and I suspect 8-doweling them weakens the flywheel too much, better to maybe just use a scat gland nut torqued up to 350 or so with the iron flywheels.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

A light flywheel is one of those things you want at first, it sounds cool.

Then later learn that car actually leaves and hits harder between gears with a heavy flywheel.

In any application where power is limited (most N/A motors), a heavy flywheel can store alot of energy on launch, and between gears.

Road racing guys like them light as possible since they are on/off the gas so much.

For big cc turbo applications, it doesn't really matter. They don't need the energy. They have boost waiting.
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Thanks Guy's. I'm trying to wrap my mind around all these numbers.
From the Web site. I must be reading these numbers wrong, but it looks like more lift and less duration ? I'll send a email off to my engine builder see what he thinks. It maybe price and availability that drives this..

459/.422

280°/276°

242°/240°

218/119

GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

I don't know how this plays in, but l bought a quiet power exhaust system. I was told the 1.5" tubes were a bit big for my engine combo but that's all l could find.
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
That, all of it Wink

Web 218/119 at the most.
I´m thinking CB 2234

I looked at the CB 2234 cam and it said for "Maximum 1/4 mile Performance" You really have me wondering now. This isn't a 1/4 miler I'm after ..
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

That should be a good cam for a small single carb engine.
Don't worry about the hype.
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

An 8 dowel cast flywheel in a bus is no good ask me how I know Shocked
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

Customer just brought me a cast flywheel with wallowed out dowels.
Wasted out bad.
I told him it was "yard-art" now.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of lightning flywheel Reply with quote

I've made some huge 'wind chimes' from old ones ,,, wife made me take 'em down,, too loud she said Laughing must of been 'forged' cuz they rang real good Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: