Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brass particles in oil.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

I just overhauled a '70 1600. Had the case line bored, and drilled out oil galley plugs so the case could be perfectly clean, and it was. Crank was within limits, so I polished it. New cam and lifters, new 1641 pistons and cylinders, new Brazilian heads. Plus, new fuel pump, DVDA can, Just about new everything, but I've done 3 oil changes, most of them back to back. The last one was probably after a hundred miles. Every time the oil looks good until you shine a light in it, and you can see brass particles in the oil. Thinking the only thing being brass would be the distributor drive. I pulled all that and the brass gear looks perfect, and no signs of abnormal wear. Valve guides are bronze, and don't know if I'm seeing bronze or brass, but it sure looks like brass. Engine runs perfect, with nothing abnormal. Has anyone seen this before??
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Could it be aluminum that looks yellow due to the oil?, cam gears occasionally eat themselves up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Are the cam and lifters from the same manufacturer?

Sometimes, if from different manufacturers. One can eat the other.
I had that happen a few years ago.
Been there done that. Still have the worn out cam and lifters! Shocked

Monitor the valve/rocker clearance values and change the oil a few more times before deciding you have an issue.

Fine particles in the oil from a fresh engine build are fairly normal. But should clean up by (my guess) 3-400 miles. And start to reduce after 3-4 oil changes.

Dip a finger in the oil and feel if the particles are gritty or rather smooth feeling.
If you have a strong magnet. Dip that into the drained oil too. If it attracts the debris in the oil. Something is likely going south.
If it comes out clean. It's likely bearing wearin.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Since the case was line bored did they machine the dist. drive bore also? The two 0.024"washers that go on the bottom of dist. drive shaft should now use a 0.118" spacer (next to case) and one 0,024" washer next to dist. drive shaft or your lash will be off. It's hard to see wear without using prushion blue to see where the gears mesh.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's brass. When you shine a light into it, it's definitely gold color. I think I stated I pulled the dist drive gear, and inspected all that. The washers were fine. Don't misunderstand, these aren't 'particles'. It'd be more like a powder if you could separate it. It does seem less every time I change the oil. It's just getting expensive at $8 a quart. Thanks for the help and info.
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

I suspect it’s most likely bearing material. That’s how my oil looked when I toasted a cam bearing.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Pull your valve covers and look for evidence of gold particles around the valves. The bronze guides produce debris that looks like what you describe when they're wearing, see the picture from the gallery below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

I've pulled the valve covers a couple times. Probably need to do it again. Looking at the photos, that's a LOT of chunks. I don't have anything like that. New heads shouldn't be doing that, anyway. I'm trying to sell this, and don't want to screw over anyone.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

I suspect some of the replacement and aftermarket heads have brass rather then bronze guides, what do yours look like? brass will wear rapidly.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

There is nothing magnetic in the oil. You can't feel anything, and can only see it when you shine a light into it.I may just be panicky. But I don't like anything flowing thru the engine, no matter how small. So far, I bet I don't have much over a hundred miles on it. I'd have to go check. Like I said, these were new, Brazilian heads. I would think they'd be a better quality than Chinese.
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the oil when you drained it?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

You could replace the oil pump with one with a spin-on filter so particles won't go through the motor.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
You could replace the oil pump with one with a spin-on filter so particles won't go through the motor.

I have either filter pumps or FF on all my engines.

I still get the shimmery oil. The first few oil changes after a new rebuild.
But it goes away after a bit.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Pictures may help.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

On my 1200 there is a bronze bush on the Conrod small end.
If they were damaged the engine would get loud as the pistons would not be moving smoothly there would be unwanted sideways movement at the wrist pin.
That would require a rebuild .
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

This is in a stainless steel pan with a flashlight shining in it.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

The engine sounds good. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

It’s natural to see some crud in the oil. Changed mine yesterday about 10k on a 1600 dual port. I sound like a broken record but these damn engines are tougher than we think😀 use your favorite flavor of oil and change it a little more often the damn car will outlast you.

Mine had metal specs and some fine sludge. Tells me to increase frequency of change interval.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Run it!

This is normal. For a new build. Don't over think things.

planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Thank you 67rustadvenger, I've only done 2 of these. My first one was about 5 years ago, and nothing like this. It still runs perfectly. This one just has me worried. Like you said, I'm probably worrying too much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: