Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakecamp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

My transmission is starting to wear down on my 82 Diesel Vanagon. I am looking to either rebuild it, or find a 5 speed transaxle that is convertible. I am not sure what type of transaxle is best to swap for though. I have read that Porsche or Subaru may have a similar transaxle that is compatible, but I am not finding much information on this. Can someone please help me to decide what is my best option.
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

83's came with a 5 speed. the longer nose of the 5 Spd required mounting the engine further aft. I have an 82 and an 83, and it's remarkable how much stuff is different between the two. 1st gear in the diesel 5 Spd is a real stump puller, and I only use it when starting on a steep hill. 5th is slightly taller than 4th in the 82. It's not, in my opinion, a big upgrade.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

The biggest question on what you should do depends on what the future holds for that stock 1.6d engine. If you plan to keep that motor, then you need to stay in the relative gear range you have now. If you are thinking of bumping up to a 1.6td or moving up to 1.9d or 1.9td, then you should think of going to taller gears to take advantage of that new power without having to run at such high RPMs.

Hans
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

If you have a stock 1.6 non-turbo then the stock diesel 5-speed is a big upgrade from the stock diesel 4-speed. 1st gear is 8% shorter than the DM 4-speed 1st gear. 5th in the stock diesel DX 5-speed is a 10% taller than the 4th of a stock diesel DM 4-speed. The DX 1st gear ratio ends up the same as the DZ 4-speed first ratio and DX 5th is 16% taller than the DZ 4-speed 4th.

If you have a more powerful engine, then the stock diesel 5-speed with appropriate R+P change to match your engine is an even bigger upgrade from any possible 4-speed gearing. With the 5-speed and appropriate R+P you can have really nice gear spacing through all the gears, relatively low RPM cruising in 5th at highway speeds and an easy drop into 4th for grades.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

But isn't the DX an 091/1 trans? The 82 diesel trans has its selector shaft on the side farther forward than the later water cooled transmissions. I believe the DX falls into the later category with the selector shaft farther back. It should be possible to mount the DX, but I believe you would need to convert to the later shifter and linkage, as well.

Hans
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

DX is an 094 trans. The 094 is much the same as the 091/1 but has a longer nose. The shifter location is the same as the 091/1 and different from the 091. Yes, the shift linkage would need to be changed. Really easiest would be to swap the entire linkage, trans nose mount, AND the engine carrier bars in order to put the engine in the correct position. Gizmoman on here swapped an 094 into his '82 using the '82 mounting parts and engine location so it is possible but more custom work.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

Duh, of course, the DX is an 094🙄. But yes, it has the same shifter and linkage as the 091/1, which was the point I wanted to make. I will be traveling down this road one day when I put a 5speed into my '82 Diesel chassis.

Hans
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got your mind set on a 5 Spd. I'm in no way saying that you shouldn't do it, but you do have to swap out a bunch of stuff to make it happen. I just pulled my 1Y out of my 83, which I'm cannibalizing, and put it into my rust free 82. In the process, I prepared a 4 Spd out of an AC van to go into it. The 1Y was a huge upgrade in the 83, but the very short gearing of the diesel 5 Spd meant that despite the fact that the power was there to do it, I never wanted to go over 55 because I always felt like I was wringing it's neck. Now that I have this 4spd AC trans mated to it, I'd say that it's an ideal setup. If the gearing were taller, I'd be downshifting all the time, but it is noticeably more relaxed at 60. Perhaps if I had an AAZ, I'd want it taller, but for now I'm really happy, and I didn't have to swap out carrier bars, shifter, etc.
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Transaxle Swap for 82 1.6l Diesel Vanagaon Reply with quote

Jakecamp07 wrote:
My transmission is starting to wear down on my 82 Diesel Vanagon. I am looking to either rebuild it, or find a 5 speed transaxle that is convertible. I am not sure what type of transaxle is best to swap for though. I have read that Porsche or Subaru may have a similar transaxle that is compatible, but I am not finding much information on this. Can someone please help me to decide what is my best option.

The thing you have to keep in mind is a 49 hp engine, mated to a taller ratio transmission, is not necessarily going to result in a faster vehicle.

Those little 1.6s need to have the crap revved out of them just to barely push a 4000 pound Westfalia Vanagon around.

If you are pulling the tranny, perhaps consider an AAZ swap (much more powerful) or if you have the time, a TDI?
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: