Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Power to headlights
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

1973 Bay Window Bus

Lost power to headlights (tested with key on), although gauges light up and turn signals work.

Bus runs fine as well.

Am I looking at headlight relay or ignition switch?

Help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:
Am I looking at headlight relay or ignition switch?

Yes......., start at the ignition switch, look for a black/yellow wire and test it for power, it leads to the fuse box at the feed side of fuse #10, another black/yellow wire connects beside it and goes to the headlight switch's terminal #X, both should have power whenever the key is on. From the headlight switch a white/black wire leads from terminal #56 to the high/low relay, that wire is only powered when the key is on and the headlight switch is pulled out all the way, if you are getting power to that point it's time to suspect the relay if all the connections are clean and tight and all 4 fuses are good.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_8_72_1700_1.jpg

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

Replaced relay, nothing changed. Replaced ignition switch and it fixed it.

How do these things fail? Took it apart and not seeing any burnt marks and it was a relatively new unit.

Thanks again for the help!
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:
How do these things fail? Took it apart and not seeing any burnt marks and it was a relatively new unit.

In short, crap from china. Defective in design and mfg. No good solution. It's a shame, really.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

Man I love the look of a matching color metal dash, just wanted to say

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:

Ignition switch or headlight switch?

I have the same symptoms. Everything else works, except headlights. They were working. Then they weren't.

Coincidentally, my ignition switch had went bad, so I had to hot wire the bus for several trips before I got a replacement. I hoped that would fix the headlights, but alas, they still do not work.

My next step will be to get out the meter and start testing.

My 1968 Campmobile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
AirKooledGarage wrote:

I have the same symptoms. Everything else works, except headlights. They were working. Then they weren't.

Coincidentally, my ignition switch had went bad, so I had to hot wire the bus for several trips before I got a replacement. I hoped that would fix the headlights, but alas, they still do not work.

Totally different circuit on a 68 compared to the OP's 73, your ignition switch has nothing to do with headlights.

Fuses are the most often offender, just because the look good doesn't mean they are making contact with the holder tabs, next in line would be the relay. But testing the 5-6 joints in the system between the #30 wire to the headlight switch and the bulbs would be where I'd start, grounds for the headlights screwed to the buckets too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: No Power to headlights Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hikelite wrote:
AirKooledGarage wrote:

Totally different circuit on a 68 compared to the OP's 73, your ignition switch has nothing to do with headlights.

Fuses are the most often offender, just because the look good doesn't mean they are making contact with the holder tabs, next in line would be the relay. But testing the 5-6 joints in the system between the #30 wire to the headlight switch and the bulbs would be where I'd start, grounds for the headlights screwed to the buckets too.

TY BusDaddy
I'm going to move my question over to a new thread.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: