Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

A couple considerations......(Since the money part doesn't really matter)....

#1.) Physical dimension management. Since this motor is or an oval....engine compartment is a little tighter. 74 x motor with stock (or shorter) rod length = compact motor?

#2.) To me....78 on down is always a little more "everything" friendly (minimal case mods, safe head mods, etc.) so I'm almost convinced 78 x 90.5 is just the perfect engine size for equal money spent.

All things equal does 78 or 74 carry a worthwhile advantage over the other?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

74 stroke with 5.325" rods should be just about stock width, and not require any crazy work to fit into an early car, at least not more than fitting a 1600 in.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
74 stroke with 5.325" rods should be just about stock width, and not require any crazy work to fit into an early car, at least not more than fitting a 1600 in.

In regards to engine width, one thing I forgot was piston style.

Let's assume stock length rod.....

78 x 90.5 b-pistons offset enough to equal 74 x 90.5 a-pistons?

(Oh....and one more thing I believe makes these motors ideal is no or minimal barrel spacing due to near-stock width thus ideal deck height?)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

AA brand B pistons should be just right for 78 stroke

Mahle 90.5 B pistons are 1mm shorter, so, maybe deck the case 1mm if you use those.

74 stroke with 5.325 rods should be .030 wider per side, but you won't notice, how deep the heads are cut is a bigger factor in the actual engine width.

1904CC is a good size to max out "stock size" heads IMO

If you go with larger valves, 78 stroke for sure, and also consider thickwall 92 if using the panchito heads. Plenty of flow and they were made for big bores
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

ALWAYS deck the case. If you use shims of a zecent quality it doesnt matter.
If you go 78 x 94 bore you can chose the csp/Mahle "c" pistons. Along with a stock length rod that will give you an egine approx 4 mm narrower than a stock 1600
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

I like 90.5 because you get a "plenty thick" cylinder without having to punch out case & heads so much. (planning to use AS41 case on this one)

Heads will be mildly custom 40 x 35.5 setup running either W110 or FK-65 cam. (Gonna be a torquey, smooth running sleeper)
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

Fair enough. Just giving options for a narrower engine with a little displacement.
But AT LEAST get yourself a proper cam, instead of something from 1970. There are several better ones on the market in the same segment.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

I'd go with 78. B pistons are lighter than A pistons...

X2 on considering thickwall 92s...

They make thick walls that are 90.5 opening at the case and are only larger at the head mating surface... something to think about.
- So it would be the same machine work to the case... thicker cylinders... bigger engine... Win, win, and win... Wink
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

I built a 78 x 92tw over the winter , 5.5 rods(can't pass up free H-beams)
1970 ish? FK8 cam advanced 4*
t3/t4 turbo
Holley Quick fuel 680
all I can say is this thing is 'Snappy quick' Laughing
but it's wider then my 2180 (Porsche rod length) Rolling Eyes Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

This day and age, you're not confined by simple "A" and "B". Order 90.5 cylinders, and custom-order your pistons to make the engine as narrow as you want. Or buy oversize Ford Modular pistons that have clips instead of press-fit.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Fair enough. Just giving options for a narrower engine with a little displacement.
But AT LEAST get yourself a proper cam, instead of something from 1970. There are several better ones on the market in the same segment.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I don't plan to go crazy trying to make it "narrow" but I figure, might as well map it out now, shooting for as close to stock width as "convenient".

As for cams....despite Engles being old, remember cams don't age....It's not like our type 1's have VVT or something. It's simply lift & duration & they mostly had that worked out long ago. I ran an FK-8 on my 2007 back in the day and it was fine but I shifted first gear at 7,200rpm. I don't want to do that this time. A w110 or FK-65 are both fine cams for that purpose. (i.e. moving the power threshold down a bit)

Quality parts??........that's a whole 'nother Oprah.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

At a basic level it's a fine plan.
But then again it isn't.
So you've got 25% more displacement, and make your heads 25% bigger, sound logic.
You'll get something that runs like a 1600 with an engle 100 cam, except 25% bigger. Which is OK but not very exciting. BUS motor? put a single carb on it? offroad? Pretty good for that, but not the most exiting "sleeper"
At times it can be a struggle to find heads with chambers large enough to get the compression LOW enough to use a mild cam, at least was 10 years ago .
Don't know if you like chinese heads or not, some of those have bigger chambers, the panchito has a BIG chamber, so you can flycut that DOWN to your desired compression, instead of HUNTING for uncut heads and having to enlarge the chambers.
Which one is "narrower"? Wink

40x35.5 valves is another "standard" that we have ALWAYS had the ability to customize. Why is it a standard? I don't know. Would re-arrange that a little.
More port velocity brings the powerband down and torque UP, valves just the right size for the ports and 75% flow ratio, maybe you only need 39x34 valves..... less chance of cracking, more cam duration can be used, more compression can be used. MORE exciting than custom cutting cylinders and head studs and tins to make your engine 5mm narrower per side than a 1600, when you can make your engine compartment that much wider with a mallet REAL QUICK Razz

And the other thing is, on a STREET car, I think there is such a thing as too much low end. It's kinda jerky. I have a 2007cc in a 1960 bug, web 110 cam, Plenty of low end IMO, but could use MORE mid range torque, always.
And another thing is your IDF carbs can HANDLE cam duration, and more compression helps the carb signal, so, it kinda goes together.
But they are sensitive to exhaust system misbehavior, too much exhaust flow can send you to chasing jetting problems that aren't jetting problems.
My new set of heads have 40x34.5 valves, maybe I am overly obsessed with ratios.....but it's working so far.
Pat Downs is putting panchito heads with TINY 40x35.5valves on a bunch of 2275cc monsters.....for STREET cars. See what I'm sayin?
big valves &small cam VS big cam smaller valves? What's the difference? the cam after all just controls the valves. The difference is velocity, and flow ratios, or what kind of intake and exhaust system it has may work better one way or another.

WIDTH? Only real thing that hits is the valve covers might get close to the lower edge of the inner wheel well. You can trim the cylinder tins pretty easy. Where the carbs end up depends on the manifolds. If you use a 36hp style shroud, get manifolds so the carbs can be tilted inward. It's a stale air car anyway. Tho would be cool to have a 36horse width engine, but that's like, 10mm per side? I don't see it happening.
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

As for cams....despite Engles being old, remember cams don't age....It's not like our type 1's have VVT or something. It's simply lift & duration & they mostly had that worked out long ago. I ran an FK-8 on my 2007 back in the day and it was fine but I shifted first gear at 7,200rpm. I don't want to do that this time. A w110 or FK-65 are both fine cams for that purpose. (i.e. moving the power threshold down a bit)

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but I had to cringe a bit at this one. You really don't need to explain cams to Alstrup. He has been at this for decades and I would struggle to name anyone with a more complete understanding of engines in general, and air cooled VWs in particualr and that does include camshafts. There are only a few guys on here and out there who have that level of knowledge and experience.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

StefansBus wrote:
RandyV wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but I had to cringe a bit at this one. You really don't need to explain cams to Alstrup. He has been at this for decades and I would struggle to name anyone with a more complete understanding of engines in general, and air cooled VWs in particualr and that does include camshafts. There are only a few guys on here and out there who have that level of knowledge and experience.

No disrespect whatsoever. I probably should remember Alstrup from years ago, but I'm no spring chicken myself and was tearing down the world's fastest VW dragster motor 30 years ago, learning from the best, imho.

I'm just saying that *my* cam choice is simply a matter of lowering the threshold of power availability and there is certainly nothing *improper* about a w110 or FK-65 (or K-7, K-8, etc.)

I'm also not opposed to hearing what cams might be better, apples for apples (Web?) and why. (thumbs up)
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

If you want to stick with Engle, I’d go with the W125 or FK8…especially if 78x90.5 or 92

The W125 provides plenty of torque down low and runs strong to 6500ish

It idles smoothly with dual IDF’s…

I recently used the W125 in my 78x90.5 engine with CB Panchito heads…9:1 CR, dual 40 dells
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
AA brand B pistons should be just right for 78 stroke

Mahle 90.5 B pistons are 1mm shorter, so, maybe deck the case 1mm if you use those.

74 stroke with 5.325 rods should be .030 wider per side, but you won't notice, how deep the heads are cut is a bigger factor in the actual engine width.

1904CC is a good size to max out "stock size" heads IMO

If you go with larger valves, 78 stroke for sure, and also consider thickwall 92 if using the panchito heads. Plenty of flow and they were made for big bores
Good to hear your opinion on the 1904 size regarding the stock heads. I've heard this from others also. This winter I'm building a 1904 using the factory fuel injection as a torque monster experiment. Already have all the parts so what the hell. I've talked to a couple people who've run 1915cc with the factory F.I. and they love it...4500 RPM and below
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

StefansBus wrote:
RandyV wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

Part of why we see so many good people leave the forums I think Sad
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
StefansBus wrote:
RandyV wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

No disrespect whatsoever. I probably should remember Alstrup from years ago, but I'm no spring chicken myself and was tearing down the world's fastest VW dragster motor 30 years ago, learning from the best, imho.

I'm just saying that *my* cam choice is simply a matter of lowering the threshold of power availability and there is certainly nothing *improper* about a w110 or FK-65 (or K-7, K-8, etc.)

I'm also not opposed to hearing what cams might be better, apples for apples (Web?) and why. (thumbs up)

I personally am a big fan of Engle cams and run them in MOST of the engines that I build. The ridiculous wait time for Web Cams, actually sent me right back to Engle. Personally, I like the FK-7 for a low end torque cam over the W110, although it requires ratio rockers, it is easy on the valve train and tends to be quieter. In a smaller displacement engine it still has a bit of a lopey idle, but very easy to street, and it is smooth as silk in a bigger displacement with dual IDFs. Either way, the cams you have chosen would work just fine, I just hope they don't leave you wanting more...maybe that's just me
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

Part of why we see so many good people leave the forums I think Sad

Well, I doubt somebody like Alstrup would be leaving a forum because people voice their own opinions.

I'm still open to hearing about more modern cams that could contribute differently to the cause.

I'm a machine tool dinosaur in the industry and sometimes newer is better and sometimes it's not.....and learning about it doesn't shake my resolve. It's all about the learning.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 74 x 90.5 vs 78 x 90.5....and stuff.... Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:

I personally am a big fan of Engle cams and run them in MOST of the engines that I build. The ridiculous wait time for Web Cams, actually sent me right back to Engle. Personally, I like the FK-7 for a low end torque cam over the W110, although it requires ratio rockers, it is easy on the valve train and tends to be quieter. In a smaller displacement engine it still has a bit of a lopey idle, but very easy to street, and it is smooth as silk in a bigger displacement with dual IDFs. Either way, the cams you have chosen would work just fine, I just hope they don't leave you wanting more...maybe that's just me

Ha ha....beat me to the punch by 3 minutes. Wink ANd perhaps Web isn't the only one. I live 5 minutes from Brothers and I know Renato does custom grinds too and I'm not opposed to that, although he himself has even told me, the basics are still the basics.

And I agree on ratio rockers and would probably just as soon do that for higher lift/duration (i.e. above 500"/300^) just figured if I keep those lower, I might entertain a 1.1 ratio cam too. (W110 is such a stalwart)

Any specific lift/duration opinions?? (Web be damned?)

TIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: