Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Climate controls??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

For those who struggle like me to remember the correct position for each of the four climate control sliders to direct heat/air to the right place, this label from GW is a godsend:
https://www.gowesty.com/product/air-conditioning/24794/climate-control-decal-for-vanagon?v=

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Think of it like this..

Regular ———— Dry Eyes
Warm ————-Hot
Hot feet ———— Warm feet
Nothing ———— basically nothing
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Remember this acrostic and you'll never need to look at a label again:

WTF?

W is for Windshield Top lever. (Throttles air flow to the windshield vents from full off to full on.)
T is for Temperature 2nd lever. (Throttles flow of hot coolant to the heater core from mostly off to full on. Ideally fully off, but most leak by some even when they're supposed to be closed.)
F is for Floor 3rd lever. (Throttles air flow to the floor vents from full on to full off.)

Then there's R. Makes it really WTFR.

R if for Rear Bottom lever. (Throttles air flow to the rear vent(s) above the side window(s) from full off to full on. Westies only have one on the passenger side.)

The OFF direction is at the pointy narrow end of the slim triangle and the ON direction is at the blunt end of the triangle in the diagram.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

It's much easier than that.

The defroster symbol for the front windshield shows all four levers to the right. For that to work, the air to the window needs to be to the right, thus full window air is to the right and to the left is off. Again for the defrost to work, the temp has to be on high, thus it's off to the left. And for the window defrost to work, all the air has to be directed to the windshield, thus both the foot wheel and the rear air have to be shut off. So the foot well, which is the third lever and you can feel it if you put your hand down, is off to the right and full on to the left. Ditto the fourth lever which is rear air. The rear is not very important and so it's at the bottom of the list.

You don't have to remember, just look at the symbol and it will pop back into mind.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

I hadn’t heard of the WTF but it certainly is a good way to remember.
I knew that all to the right was full defrost and it is easy to maneuver from that point.

My rear ram air lever (bottom one) is stuck mid way.
I need to take a look at that before the real cold temperatures descend upon me.

DAVE

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

I knew a guy who did a beautiful job creating an internal damper to close off the outside air so in cold weather the heater didn't have to work so hard. Maybe you know him and could duplicate what he did?

Duncan
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Remember this acrostic and you'll never need to look at a label again:

WTF?

W is for Windshield Top lever. (Throttles air flow to the windshield vents from full off to full on.)
T is for Temperature 2nd lever. (Throttles flow of hot coolant to the heater core from mostly off to full on. Ideally fully off, but most leak by some even when they're supposed to be closed.)
F is for Floor 3rd lever. (Throttles air flow to the floor vents from full on to full off.)

Then there's R. Makes it really WTFR.

R if for Rear Bottom lever. (Throttles air flow to the rear vent(s) above the side window(s) from full off to full on. Westies only have one on the passenger side.)

The OFF direction is at the pointy narrow end of the slim triangle and the ON direction is at the blunt end of the triangle in the diagram.

Jim Davis

Interesting way to remember for a water-cooled Vanagons but does not apply to early air-cooled models.

For air-cooled:

Lever #1 - Warm Air Distribution: Right = Windshield & Side Window, Center = Foot & Side Window, Left = Foot/Rear/Side Window
Lever #2 - Temperature Control: Right = Hot, Left = Cold
Lever #3 - Fresh Air Distribution: Right = Decrease, Left = Increase
Lever #4 - Rear Air Distribution: Right = Decrease, Left = Increase
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Clever ideas, but I think I will stick with my label!😉👍

Tornado Red
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

While I like the Label for the controls, I'm so used to German HVAC weirdness having owned several 80's E-28 Five Series BMWs with their even more mystical slider controls and symbols, that the Vanagon seemed right at home with me when we got it..... Google a picture of that panel and you'll see what I mean.
Recirc feature meant you slid all the levers over to the right, we were forever having to explain the controls to any relative that borrowed one of our 528e's since they were used to Japanese HVAC controls that had easy to understand drawings showing what was happening with a Vent selection...... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

i remember seeing a new hvac lever set with a red knob for the cold/hot lever. i didnt think to buy that when i was replacing all of the broken knobs after we got our van and cant seem to find it again... but being able to quickly spot the heat knob would be handy.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
i remember seeing a new hvac lever set with a red knob for the cold/hot lever. i didnt think to buy that when i was replacing all of the broken knobs after we got our van and cant seem to find it again... but being able to quickly spot the heat knob would be handy.

My temp one has blue dot on one side and red dot on other

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

It's easy,
Reach out with your hand, feel the levers, slide up to the top lever, go down one.
You have the temperature lever.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:

It's easy,
Reach out with your hand, feel the levers, slide up to the top lever, go down one.
You have the temperature lever.
Dave
Yep, so much easier than the new cars where you have to take your eyes off the road to use a touch screen Evil or Very Mad !

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but no one seems to have mentioned that levers 2 and 4 have bumps on the sides so night work with eyes on the road is no prob as you can feel them. Sometimes if the defrost is all the way to the right, the temp on low and the foot well to the left, it can be hard to know by feel which is one down from another.

Duncan
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

If they glowed at the end of each slider knob with a dim LED that wasn't distracting, that might be a cool upgrade to have, but as noted, they're a simple affair and you just learn to live with them.

Plus they won't go out or need a software update like the Touch Screens that MsTaboo posted about..... Razz Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Visual aid
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Interesting about the bumps on the control levers.
Never gave them any thought.

My Temperature lever and my ram air to the rear lever both have bumps on the knob.

Curious ……..

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

That’s the one! I found that location a bit hard to see from the driver’s seat, so I placed mine on the dash near the lower right corner of the instrument cluster.

Tornado Red
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

Here are my 90 control knobs, see the bumps on the edges of two of them?
I never noticed the little square of radiating heat next to the red dot until I looked at the photo.
What does this mean?
Red dot is hot but the square heat waves???

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate controls?? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Here are my 90 control knobs, see the bumps on the edges of two of them?
I never noticed the little square of radiating heat next to the red dot until I looked at the photo.
What does this mean?
Red dot is hot but the square heat waves???

Dave

“Defrost” icon…

Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: