Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Here's the situation. Our beloved Nelly-kiki hit a dear and was totaled. However, the only things that are really wrong with her is the front end is busted up. We have the option of finding an old van and cutting off the front of it and putting it on Nelly OR finding a Pop top with a shabby interior and cruddy engine and moving all our good stuff over to it. The problem is Pop tops tend to be a bit harder to come by and tend to be a bit more expensive. BUT I am seeing nice tin tops for a fraction of the cost. Thinking that maybe we could get a tin top and cut a hole in the top and install our Pop top but have no idea if that would work.

NOTE: while I feel pretty competent when it comes to working on these old beast, body work is not my forte.

Thoughts?
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Search is your friend: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Lots of posts on that here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7591620

GoWesty has some thoughts:
https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=34
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Not that hard to do and lots of Syncro Westys are conversions from Tin Top to Westy’s.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

The Reimo pop top kit is an option to consider as well:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

They aren’t very common in North America, but they are available. The installation is very DIY possible, and a lot less involved than a “proper” Westfalia top. Any of the High top conversions are also something to look into.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

I converted my tin-top Syncro to a Westfalia in a way that looks mostly factory. I enjoyed the process, but I genuinely believe that installing a "front clip" on your van would be less work than doing the pop-top conversion, unless your van requires frame-straightening.

Just as an example of pop-top-swap frustrations, it was truly amazing to see how much trial-and-error adjustment was involved in getting the pop-top to deploy smoothly and getting the "luggage rack" adjusted to avoid wind noise. It's all these little things that add up to the time difference in the work involved. You can plan to spend a day getting the pop-top tent installed if you replace the (likely damaged) tent you get from a pop-top donor.

There's another bonus in doing the "front clip" approach. You will gain access to all those things we all have to do to our Westys at some point anyway:

1. Replace the Clutch clevis pin and/or the worn-out hole in the clutch pedal lever end.
2. Replace or service the heater blower motor;
3. Service and lubricate the windshield wiper assembly;
4. Fix windshield pinch-weld rust.
5. Replace the radiator.

Either way you decide to go, document your steps with pics so you can show a future buyer that the job was done right.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
but I genuinely believe that installing a "front clip" on your van would be less work than doing the pop-top conversion, unless your van requires frame-straightening.

i 1000% agree. i haven't done a vanagon roof but have done roof swaps in the past. they kind of suck to do.

there is like 4 trillion spot welds. it's a daunting task doing 50 feet worth of spot welds

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

i did this in a sort of non-traditional way and welded into the C pillar and added L brackets for bed supports....

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

front clip for sure....there is a post on here where the front was fixed as an insurance job at a shop with Ferraris.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Here is the link to my build thread where I have “grafted” a Westfalia pop top onto a tin top

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712964&highlight=
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

How much do you use your upper bunk for sleeping?

Many people, including me, have converted tin tops to pop tops using the “hole only” method. Here’s one of many threads on this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8783068&highlight=#8783068

I love it. But, because the tin top exterior roof is taller than a factory Westy, you can’t just move the bed platform over. Crazyvwvanman kind of introduced this method to the forum and says you can just keep the mattress downstairs. I can’t speak to that I just built a platform, store stuff up there when camping, and use my full width tintop bed. It works great!

It’s also not even close to pretending to be factory. My van runs great and has very little rust for the east coast. If I were to sell it, I’d ask at least 5k less then I would if it was a factory weekender, probably even 7-8k less . Don’t really know as I haven’t given it serious thought, again, LOVE IT

As you can see in that thread and others, no previous body work skills required and great time/labor balance. It took about 30 hours of my work once I got the top home with a very handy friend helping for 5 or so of those.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

OzzieJo wrote:
Here is the link to my build thread where I have “grafted” a Westfalia pop top onto a tin top

OzzieJo did a very nice pop-top-swap and documented it beautifully (unlike my swap with zero photos). His thread shows all the work involved. For many without OzzieJo's skills and patience, the project could die the "Death of a thousand (spot-weld) cuts". Kudos!
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

I'm going to go against the grain here. While a roof clip is larger and more awkward to deal with, I would say that the body work involved with cutting and pasting one in is less complicated and/or involved than redoing a front clip. The westy equipment swap over adds a second level of work, but I think the roof swap is easier than a front clip.

Hans

Hans
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Front clip easier?

Just imagine trying to get the A pillars in the right spot so the doors close properly. And the 50,000 wires? Shift linkage being touchy, getting that in the right spot? And what about the seam across the top? Unless you lap it and fair it all in with bondo, sounds like a nightmare to me. The frame and all the cooling stuff? Fugedaboudit.

It could be done, but at what expense in terms of time not enjoying a different T3?

Agree about the Reimo being far easier from all I've read on the forums.

Duncan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Agreed. While there are many pop-top conversion threads, OzzieJo's is packed with information and inspiration. Recommended.

Howesight wrote:
OzzieJo wrote:

OzzieJo did a very nice pop-top-swap and documented it beautifully (unlike my swap with zero photos). His thread shows all the work involved. For many without OzzieJo's skills and patience, the project could die the "Death of a thousand (spot-weld) cuts". Kudos!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

If the OP's forte is not body work, perhaps consider the 'adding a pop top' route by starting with a sunroof Vanagon.

I believe there are a couple threads on here regarding that build - especially if you don't really use the upstairs bed except for a storage area. Looks like a lot less work if I recall correctly, mostly mucking around with the hinge mounting area. Much more doable than chopping big holes in the roof or doing a full roof swap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Yes a lot of people did that including me.
The easiest route is by the Mosaik Joker style. You have to cut a hole only in the middle section.
The original Mosaik kit had a strenghtening frame around that hole which can be remade or just use some angle iron on the side beams for the H bar and some wooden slats around the perimeter of the sheet metal like on the Reimo kit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Over the decades I've done a lot of body work.
I'm no pro but I get by........

Nose clip or pop top?
I'd for sure opt for installing a top!

Then again, post some photos of your damage.
A lot of damage can be repaired quite easily without major surgery.

We live in an age of "Replace It" rather than Repair It.

My Dad's WWII buddy was a tin beater.
He kept a scrap book of every car he fixed. It went back to the Wood, Tin and Fabric construction ....... Model T era up into the 1960’s.
The stuff he put back on the highway as a whole car was stunning!
That level of skill has largely vanished from the Auto Body repair industry.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

ddye wrote:
Here's the situation. Our beloved Nelly-kiki hit a dear and was totaled. However, the only things that are really wrong with her is the front end is busted up.

We need pix, both to evaluate the damage for recommendations and for the cringe factor.

You might also want to post here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440675&start=740

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone turned a NON-pop top into a pop top? Reply with quote

Easiest poptop install is a Riviera ASI. No body work skills? No problem. If you can cut a square ish hole in the right place then you are good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of pictures here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: