Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fresh air box delete
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Fresh air box delete Reply with quote

Has anyone deleted the fresh box on a 70 bug?

I am running 1 1/4" CPVC pipe from the heater channel up to the trunk, then foil taping the 3 way adapter to the CPVC.

Connecting the side vents on both sides will be easy.

The problem will be adapting the center vent that fits into the fresh air box to the paper heat/defrost hoses that has me worried.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh air box delete Reply with quote

I'd be hesitant to use any sort of plastic piping in a VW Beetle's heating system. Since the heated air comes directly from the exhaust heat exchangers, it can reach temperatures far in excess of what a water-cooled engine's heating system could produce -- perhaps high enough to cause softening or even melting of the plastic, along with potential for nasty / noxious fumes from the heated plastic as well.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...

Last edited by baldessariclan on Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh air box delete Reply with quote

Don't know about a1970 air box, but if its like the one in my 75, the centre vent does not connect into the fresh air box. It is plumbed to the 3 way Y connector with plastic ribbed flexible hoses, one from either side. Fresh air is supplied to the same vent openings as the defrost air is.
Parts are available from CP-1 if you need them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air box delete Reply with quote

Thx. for the replies. Since the bug was stripped and missing a lot of parts I was guessing about the defrost system. I finally found some exploded view pictures that show what you are talking about.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh air box delete Reply with quote

CPVC pipe has a much higher “softening temperature “ than standard(uPVC) plastic pipe. It is used for hot water up to 90C or 200F.

There are already plastic parts in the defrost system which were not CPVC and are still intact after 50 plus years. Whilst the temperature of the exhaust is high, the temperature in the heat exchangers is relatively low due to the large air flow the fan delivers.

So I’d say the heat won’t be a problem but with all plastics I can’t answer the question on smells/fumes as there are plasticisers in the plastic which can be leached out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: