Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyleeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

Hey all. New to The Samba. Moderately mechanically inclined, so excuse me if I describe something wrong. Drove my 83 air cooled Westy from DC to Denver last week and now it won’t start at altitude. Never had this issue before, or ever on the trip either.

Ignition kicks in and starter rolls, but engine doesn’t turn over or kick on.

Things I’ve checked - battery charged, gas in the tank, AFM set to lean mix for low oxygen.

Any thoughts? Storing it in a very small garage so I hope the air isn’t too stuffy when trying to start.
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

jimmyleeds wrote:
... AFM set to lean mix for low oxygen. ...

I do not understand what you mean by this but you can play with your timing (lose distributor and maybe counterclockwise 10 minutes or so).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9717861

(if you have a FED, I do not know how this plays out with the CAL)

English is a second language to me
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

jimmyleeds wrote:

If the starter is spinning the engine, then the engine is turning over, while I presume that if the "engine doesn't kick on" it means that when it is being turned over by the starter it is not firing and starting up.
jimmyleeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
jimmyleeds wrote:

If the starter is spinning the engine, then the engine is turning over, while I presume that if the "engine doesn't kick on" it means that when it is being turned over by the starter it is not firing and starting up.

Got it. Again, sorry for the lack of terminology. The engine is not firing or sputtering at all. Just the starter sound.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

Does the exhaust smell of raw gas when the engine is being cranked? If so disconnect the CSV "cold start valve" and see doing so will allow the engine to start. Do verify that you have spark at the plugs.
jimmyleeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Does the exhaust smell of raw gas when the engine is being cranked? If so disconnect the CSV "cold start valve" and see doing so will allow the engine to start. Do verify that you have spark at the plugs.

Will give this a shot in a few! Any pointers as to how to disconnect the CSV?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

jimmyleeds wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Just pull the plug off, noting that the clips that hold the plug to the CSV aren't all that user friendly.
jimmyleeds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
jimmyleeds wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Just pull the plug off, noting that the clips that hold the plug to the CSV aren't all that user friendly.

Nice, that worked. Set the AFM to run rich so that I don’t have to pump the gas pedal when it’s warming up. Do I just leave the CSV unplugged for the time being?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘83 Air Cooled not starting at altitude Reply with quote

jimmyleeds wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
jimmyleeds wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Nice, that worked. Set the AFM to run rich so that I don’t have to pump the gas pedal when it’s warming up. Do I just leave the CSV unplugged for the time being?

Yes, but if it gets really cold it may not start well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: