Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator to Alternator conversion 1971 Hightop 1600
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodhi Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Generator to Alternator conversion 1971 Hightop 1600 Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed somewhere on this site, but I'm on a phone and this site is not phone friendly at all especially with searching. I know I read somewhere to make sure I get a Bosche and not Chinese, but beyond that it is a question. (Model # and or amps) Stock 1600 engine...and stock generator, however gen is shot and needs rebuild. Want to convert to alternator with Deepcell secondary batteries with isolating switch and power inverter for secondary electrical systems in campmobile. Any help...MUCH appreciated.

The Bodhishark ☯️ )~^,>
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Generator to Alternator conversion 1971 Hightop 1600 Reply with quote

Bosch AL82. Dont buy the conversion kit with all the chineseium tin and stand. Source a used alt stand and good german tin and fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Generator to Alternator conversion 1971 Hightop 1600 Reply with quote

Here’s a place where you can get a conversion kit.

Kustom1Warehouse

This doesn’t mean they’d sell you great quality parts though. I’d get a Bosch alternator and don’t buy some Chinese one because it puts out more amps. I think in the past Kustom1Warehouse sold rewound Bosch units that might have been around 70 amps but it’s been several years.

I don’t think I’d care if the tin, strap, or stand was Chinese but the belt pulley is important to get a good quality one. They are like $30 instead of $5 but won’t break on you and leave you stranded. The pulley takes a lot of torque so you want a strong one.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Generator to Alternator conversion 1971 Hightop 1600 Reply with quote

I run duel battery's one isolated no inverter and my 38 amp gen does the job I also use a solar panel when camping . its way easy to rebuild a gen it maybe minimal but it works. alt are great I just have many gens so I use them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: