Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mStrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what the torque setting should be when tightening this oil drain bolt on a diesel T3 vanagon? I prefer not to guess what “snug” means. Also is there supposed to be a crush washer on it? If so what would be the part #?
Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

Never a washer on that kind of drain plug.
Bentley says 15 ft lb for drain plug torque.

page 17.4

Mark
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

is that the original bolt for the factory diesel pans? i have a brickwerks reproduction pan and it came with those normal copper washer + shouldered bolt versions on both ends of the pan

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620788

Lots of info here.

I have a new pan (purchased from Brickwerks that I think is the same that VanCafe sells...) that has two plugs that both require crush washers.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

do note that I have personally had a freak incident where the stock plug like the OP shows backed out and fell out of the oil pan while on the road coming home.

the miracle saving grace was that this happened within 1 house down from turning into my driveway. I was greeted with a large pool of hot oil on the driveway as I exited the van.

I now cross drill the bolt head and safety wire it to something.

if it can't spin it can't depart the pan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mStrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

Mine didn’t have a washer with it so I guess it’s an original pan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

There are two different diesel Vanagon oil pans. One of them was for the non-turbo engines and the other was for the turbo engines. They are the same aside from the following differences. The turbo pan has a bung for the turbo oil return line, it has a drain plug at the front AND the rear of the pan and both plugs are the typical crush washer design. The non-turbo pan has no bung for the turbo oil return and has the single tapered drain plug pictured at the beginning of this thread.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
do note that I have personally had a freak incident where the stock plug like the OP shows backed out and fell out of the oil pan while on the road coming home.

I now cross drill the bolt head and safety wire it to something.

Good tip. Thanks.

My older style oil pan has hair line cracks at area where cone on bolt seats; as is it will always have a very slow minor slow leak.

@ the OP: use care not to over tighten that drain bolt.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Vanagon oil drain bolt torque spec Reply with quote

I think VW produced 5 versions of the pan.
Also there is at least 1 aftermarket version.

The photo the OP put with his questions shows the earliest pan drain plug.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: