Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on Front Bilsteins ( Thanks )
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Question on Front Bilsteins ( Thanks ) Reply with quote

I just put a set of Bilstein B8 24-000345-ARs on the rear of my 73.
I have not purchased the front Bilsteins yet. Waiting a bit for $s.

My question is : In the photos of the Bilstein fronts for sale, it seems the upper tower is missing, do I use my old upper ? Seems a bit strange as I put a set of KBYs on the front of another VW a few years ago and they resembled the rears other than the top mount was vertical. Am I missing something ? I would like the whole front shock looking good as well as functioning better. The rears were easy.

My current fronts are the 73 originals and the washers and nuts are shot.
What size hardware ( bolts/washers/ nuts ) do and will I need ?

Thanks guys !

Last edited by yel-mel on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Front Bilsteins ( Pleeeeeease answer ) Reply with quote

You will need a couple of these kits:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't remember where I got these (its been several years), but they are standard Beetle parts.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Front Bilsteins ( Pleeeeeease answer ) Reply with quote

yel-mel wrote:
I just put a set of Bilstein B8 24-000345-ARs on the rear of my 73.
I have not purchased the front Bilsteins yet. Waiting a bit for $s.

My real dumb question is : In the photos of the Bilstein fronts for sale, it seems the upper tower is missing, do I use my old upper ? Seems a bit strange as I put a set of KBYs on the front of another VW a few years ago and they resembled the rears other than the top mount was vertical. Am I missing something ? I would like the whole front shock looking good as well as functioning better. The rears were easy.

My current fronts are the 73 originals and the washers and nuts are shot.
What size hardware ( bolts/washers/ nuts ) do and will I need ?

Thanks guys !

I would check with The The Thing Shop and other T-181 specific parts houses.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Front Bilsteins ( Pleeeeeease answer ) Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Here is what I am finding. I think it will work.
The white object in your pic.....I think is a roll of paper towel 😂
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Front Bilsteins ( Pleeeeeease answer ) Reply with quote

I would look for some brand besides EMPI, here is what CP Performance offers, don't know the brand but would call before ordering.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3993.htm
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Front Bilsteins ( Pleeeeeease answer ) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful as always !

I didn't realize that Bilstein does not make a B8 Performance+ for the fronts, just rears. Im going with the B6 fronts and B8 rears ( already on )
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb Question on Front Bilsteins ( Pleeeeeease answer ) Reply with quote

I went through this exact same process about a year ago and Gary helped me out too as far as identifying the additional parts that are required for the installation of the fronts.

The item in the photo that he posted that looks like a toilet paper roll is a dust cover. You'll need to order two of those too since the Bilstein shocks do not come with dust covers. As I recall the part number is 131 413 425A. These attach to the bottom of the bump stop. I have an extra brand new pair that I purchased for my Vanagon shock installation but found out that it required the larger version that was also used on Super Beetles. Send me a PM if you're interested in taking them off of my hands.

As for the B6 vs B8, I looked at both and went with the B6 for both the front and rear because I wanted the same shock all the way around and I had read that the B8 is for "vehicles with lowered springs or modified suspensions". Since my Thing's suspension is stock the B6 was the one to go with for my application.

Be sure to use Lock Tite when attaching the shaft of the front shock to the upper mounting assembly. Another tip is that you will most likely need to use a torch to heat up the lower bushing sleeve from your old shock when you remove it as these are notorious for not coming off with the shock. Also use a pipe wrench and not channel lock pliers to work it off so that you don't crush the sleeve while you're trying to work it off of the lower mounting shaft.

I noticed quite an improvement as far as handling after the installation. So much so I installed a set of B6s on our Vanagon Westy which now also handles much better...even in the wind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: