Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to get VDO tach working with Redline VW EFI?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63Fiberbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: How to get VDO tach working with Redline VW EFI? Reply with quote

I have a 2 1/6” VDO Cockpit series tachometer that worked fine with my MSD 6AL ignition; however, when I connected tach to the newly installed Redline EFI, I get “no indication”. As I understand it, the green wire w/white stripe from Redline ECU provides a standard “high side” output for input to tachometer, and that’s how I have it wired.

I read the VDO literature and can’t find guidance for ECU inputs; but I did find information about 3 DIP switches on the tach and tried all combinations but still don’t get an indication.

Anyone have this setup and can provide troubleshooting advice?
Thanks
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get VDO tach working with Redline VW EFI? Reply with quote

Call Ruben at Powerhaus or Kris at Paradise. They install and tune the Redline system all the time..
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get VDO tach working with Redline VW EFI? Reply with quote

You may need to get something like this.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELTAV3.htm...BKEALw_wcB

I made my own version to use the ISP West T3 tach with the MS-EFI system I'm running, but I can't remember where I got the diagram/component list from. Maybe a quick web search would pull it up for you. It was a fairly simple circuit since I didn't need to change # of cylinders, just to give the proper voltage spike for the older "style" tach.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Fiberbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get VDO tach working with Redline VW EFI? Reply with quote

thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: