Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lead paint in ceiling panel of 73?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lead paint in ceiling panel of 73? Reply with quote

A 1980 car probably still has lead contamination from the leaded gas from the 70s traffic that surrounded it. Lead Paint in new construction was banned in 1978 but stocks ran on for a while past that.
73bus_and_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead paint in ceiling panel of 73? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote that there is Asbestos in the heating system so that got me doing a bit of research and here is what I found.

There is no asbestos in the heaterboxes, the only place it was was in the "cuffs" that seal the heater pipes. - ratwell.com

However, the most authoritative answer on the topic of asbestos comes from latebay.com where someone posted a response from VW.

------------------------------------------
This is a reply I received from VW , concerning asbestos. Thank you for your most recent email

I have spoken to our Technical Department and they have informed me that the
Pre 1961 Type 1 vehicles generally had a convoluted flexible metal pipe between the heat exchanger and the cabin.

Early 1960's to 1971 model year (late 1970) used the same metal flexible type pipe between heat exchanger and cabin. However, it
had an insulating material around it and a flexible plastic weatherproof material around that. Although the insulating material
between metal and plastic is light in colour, it is not of an asbestos basis as it is neither required for insulation and not to
withstand any protection against heat, nor is it in the flow of warm air to the cabin.

From 1971 MY onwards flexible plastic tubing was used with internal woollen material type insulation.

The 1973 and 1974 MY type 2, use same principal as Type 1 1971 onwards, even though different heat exchanger type are available
depending on engine type.

During the 1960s, an asbestos ring was fitted on the front of the heat exchanger where the heat transfer pipe connected. This
generally broke and fell off early on in the vehicle's life when disturbed and wasn't replaced (During first engine removal or
heat exchanger replacement). When in place it's purpose was to separate the flexible plastic outer weatherproof sleeve of the
heat transfer pipe from making direct contact with heat exchanger, not affecting the warm air transfer metal section, it was not
in the flow of warm air for the cabin. Replacement parts were supplied from a rubber material.

Additionally, as with all vehicles, asbestos was used in some exhaust gaskets to cylinder head connections (front and rear) as
was the "O" ring at heat exchanger / exhaust connection.

I trust this information proves useful.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Yours sincerely

Sarah Brotherton-Ratcliffe
Customer Service Advisor
Volkswagen Customer Service

https://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/asbestos-in-heating-system.22661/
------------------------------------------
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead paint in ceiling panel of 73? Reply with quote

House paint and car paint is different too. I've heard some yellows, reds, and whites still have lead in them. When I buy Limco single stage at my jobber the labels still say "Limco Supreme Urethane With Lead".
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lead paint in ceiling panel of 73? Reply with quote

You are driving a death trap car with no airbags , tensioned seat belts, and 5 decades old safety technology and are worried about lead paint?

Oooof.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lead paint in ceiling panel of 73? Reply with quote

as long as someone doesn't clean their bus by licking it, or lick the painted areas on a regular basis, they will be fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: