Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

Went and looked at this dune buggy today. Can anybody tell what this is? I looked but didn't find any marking or cards under the dash etc. Gotta love those farm tires on the back and the extra springs on the shocks. Even with those it feels soft in the back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dlyle on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

What it looks like to me is a really good start to a fun Manx copy Buggy. Beyond that... not sure.

Lift that carpet and see if there is anything left of the floor pans and calculate that into what you pay for it. Nice find, I hope you can get it for a decent price, it has lots going for it.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

It looks to me to be a Safari Body. There are images of the advertisements online somewhere.

I have one in white and I have seen quite a few online and in person at the Manx Club Meet.

It's a great start to a buggy....I drive mine everywhere and have over 70,000 miles on it since it was built in 2004.

The Safari has a distinct hood/dash that is pretty easy to spot.
The flat area on the bottom and a small ridge running down the center of the hood along with the dash edge resting on the buggy body are a characteristic of the Safari.
There are two other bodies made by the same company but you have the standard Safari like mine.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pugwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
Went and looked at this dune buggy today. Can anybody tell what this is? I looked but didn't find any marking or cards under the dash etc.

Yep Safari.......https://barnfinds.com/porsche-powered-1969-safari-vw-dune-buggy/
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
It looks to me to be a Safari Body. There are images of the advertisements online somewhere.

I have one in white and I have seen quite a few online and in person at the Manx Club Meet.

It's a great start to a buggy....I drive mine everywhere and have over 70,000 miles on it since it was built in 2004.

The Safari has a distinct hood/dash that is pretty easy to spot.
The flat area on the bottom and a small ridge running down the center of the hood along with the dash edge resting on the buggy body are a characteristic of the Safari.
There are two other bodies made by the same company but you have the standard Safari like mine.

]

Thanks for the info everyone. I agree looks like a Safari.

Clonebug, does yours have a body lift? This one does and from what I can tell if it were removed the body would hit the front shock towers. Even with the lift it is nearly touching.

This one I'm looking at probably doesn't have a current registration or special construction tag so I'll have to think about it. Last tags were from 1979 so not sure when it last ran.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

Mine is on a 64 pan.....swing axle and link pin beam.
It does not have a lift on it.

I'm guessing that one is on a 68 pan with swing axle rear and ball joint front.

The Safari body has molded in bumps for the K/L shock towers to sit in. It is a tight fit and mine will rub a little bit and squeak enough to annoy the wife.
The upper shock bolt threads were stripped and it has through bolts and that makes for the tighter fit.

Depending on where you are live is going to decide how you go about getting it titled and registered for the road.

I myself bought a 64 bug with a good title and used that and it's been on the road for 17 years....never even been pulled over in it.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Mine is on a 64 pan.....swing axle and link pin beam.
It does not have a lift on it.

I'm guessing that one is on a 68 pan with swing axle rear and ball joint front.

The Safari body has molded in bumps for the K/L shock towers to sit in. It is a tight fit and mine will rub a little bit and squeak enough to annoy the wife.
The upper shock bolt threads were stripped and it has through bolts and that makes for the tighter fit.

Depending on where you are live is going to decide how you go about getting it titled and registered for the road.

I myself bought a 64 bug with a good title and used that and it's been on the road for 17 years....never even been pulled over in it.

This one has a chassis number starting with 1804 which I think is a 1958-59 but I could be wrong on that. Engine is is 8887234 which is possibly from a 1964.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

I always assumed my old buggy was a safari, also. I had the bumps on the hood. And thumb tack holes.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:

I always assumed my old buggy was a safari, also. I had the bumps on the hood. And thumb tack holes.

If you have the two bumps on the hood then you have the Safari Trail Body.

There is one more body style also made by Safari but I have never seen one for real yet.

The Safari and the Safari Trail seem to be the more common of the three.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

Yup, I think that one was called the Safari Trail. They had the two bumps on the hood.

Last edited by dlyle on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
This one has a chassis number starting with 1804 which I think is a 1958-59 but I could be wrong on that. Engine is is 8887234 which is possibly from a 1964.

That would be a January 1958 chassis, but it appears that you have even older rear brakes, oval window era rear brakes. I see the wheel cylinder at the bottom and it appears the backing plate is larger where it fits over the edge of the brake drum. You also still have a splitcase transaxle, used through 1959 (also in 1960, but that one is different.) The motor appears to be a 40 horse unit, and the buggy still appears to be 6 volt. Its a cool vintage buggy, what ideas for it do you have in mind?
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
dlyle wrote:

That would be a January 1958 chassis, but it appears that you have even older rear brakes, oval window era rear brakes. I see the wheel cylinder at the bottom and it appears the backing plate is larger where it fits over the edge of the brake drum. You also still have a splitcase transaxle, used through 1959 (also in 1960, but that one is different.) The motor appears to be a 40 horse unit, and the buggy still appears to be 6 volt. Its a cool vintage buggy, what ideas for it do you have in mind?

Thanks for the info. Yes, still 6 volt. If it becomes mine I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I'd take inventory and see if it will run. From there I'd clean it up and have fun with it. Of course I'd have to get some new tires on it and go through the brakes to get it roadworthy. I did notice it has a small 5 hole bolt wheel pattern and I didn't see any adapters.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

The guy is asking $3,200 for this. Non running and with a bill of sale only so it would need a special construction permit.

Doesn't run but motor spins freely. What do you guys think it's worth?

I offered him $1,500. I see running and registered buggies for $3,ooo and less.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

Asking price is just that, right? What others are willing to pay is another thing.

Good luck with your offer. If you get it at that price, I would consider myself lucky.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Asking price is just that, right? What others are willing to pay is another thing.

Good luck with your offer. If you get it at that price, I would consider myself lucky.

Thanks for the response. So what would you say it's worth?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

It's worth what you are willing to pay. Everybody has a different pain threshold.
I got mine for 14, but it was far from complete. But it was a "pain" I could tolerate that day

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Identifying this mystery dune buggy Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
dlyle wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

It's worth what you are willing to pay. Everybody has a different pain threshold.
I got mine for 14, but it was far from complete. But it was a "pain" I could tolerate that day

I knew you were going to say that! It is a cool buggy but that's above my pain threshold for what it will need.

Those wheels on your buggy look like the old Hands wheels you could get on Corvairs and Sunbeam Tigers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: