Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600dp Engine Idle Issue
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caramzn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

I'm a DIY, learn as you go noob and I couldn't find a similar issue as mine so here we go.

I have, what I was told is a 1600dp engine in my 1968 single cab. The engine code is a D-3608074. My engine starts fast and easy, goes through the warm up phase however when it lowers down to an idle it dies out every time. I rebuilt the carb and have the same issue (see YouTube link below).

Where should I begin my diagnostic?

https://youtu.be/l088jaXoSHo
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

How are you adjusting the screws on the side of the carb?, how about the stop screw on the choke cam? Have you ever done anything with the manifold boots or manifold to head gaskets?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
caramzn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

The only screws I've adjusted are the mixture screw, which is at 10 half turns out from bottom, and the idle screw which is at 5 half turns out from bottom. From what I've reviewed, these settings would put it at a starting point and would be running rich so I would be able to start adjusting from said starting point.
Everything else is tightened snug, not over tightened but probably not as they should (new to working on classic cars so this is also first time working on a carb). I have not checked the boots or gaskets for leaks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

Have you checked to see is anything is clogging your idle jet? Is your throttle stop adjustment right, the lever sticking up at the back left of the carb, which should be one of the first adjustments you make.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

check the throttle shaft for ware could be leaking air its not uncommon.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

Make sure the electromagnetic cut off valve is tight.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1600dp Engine Idle Issue Reply with quote

Do we know which carb is on his engine? And where it was made?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: