Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN # lookup???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: VIN # lookup??? Reply with quote

Hi all...just wondering how I would find vehicle history on a 1956 bug? It isn't owned privately and I wanted some history on it before I consider a purchase. Any help is appreciated! Thanks...I have the VIN and a somewhat recent plate # also .
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN # lookup??? Reply with quote

not sure how you would be able to find any history on it without asking the previous owner. your DMV wont give out personal info on PO's. also it being a 56 most online car history places wont have any info, or help you because of the year.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN # lookup??? Reply with quote

The only thing we can help you with here is to point you to the chassis/body serial # chart. From there you can figure out what month of what year it was built.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryanator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN # lookup??? Reply with quote

Ok, thanks guys....it's a matching # car but my main concern is it's a ragtop and was wondering if there's a way to tell if it's factory or not...I understand that it's even hard to tell by the VIN plate...some have a 1-17 code and some don't I guess?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN # lookup??? Reply with quote

ryanator wrote:
Ok, thanks guys....it's a matching # car but my main concern is it's a ragtop and was wondering if there's a way to tell if it's factory or not...I understand that it's even hard to tell by the VIN plate...some have a 1-17 code and some don't I guess?

If it were my car and you simply could not tell, I'd just say it's original. Screw it, if it was done that well and it's your car then enjoy the roof hole and say it's factory until proven otherwise.
If there's a headliner installed you *can* carefully loosen the front edge and inspect under the headliner. Up around the front is usually the hard part to copy factory panels and assembly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: