Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: 3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy Reply with quote

As the title says, I'm wondering if one of you 3d gurus thinks this is possible? It seems that the biggest challenge (aside from cutting the sunroof opening a bit), is filling the ridges on the westy roof. I would think that an adapter could be printed (likely in two pieces) to fill the voids and make weather proofing and seating easier. I'ld be happy to help pay for R&D and use my AZ based van for a test case.

Maybe make an interior trim piece as well to give it a finished look?

Thoughts?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
As the title says, I'm wondering if one of you 3d gurus thinks this is possible? It seems that the biggest challenge (aside from cutting the sunroof opening a bit), is filling the ridges on the westy roof. I would think that an adapter could be printed (likely in two pieces) to fill the voids and make weather proofing and seating easier. I'ld be happy to help pay for R&D and use my AZ based van for a test case.

Maybe make an interior trim piece as well to give it a finished look?

Thoughts?

Yes, I create 3d printed parts and was thinking the same thing on a new-to-me van I just got with a leaking sun roof..... Everything you mentioned plus if there was a way to make the install thinner than the deep interior trim I see in the install pics here.

If not me then who?... The likely thought is the 3d printing guy I see on here just because he already makes stuff and I'm totally capable of your want to work together... Maybe you get a unit for me and I'll create it trim kit and you get a complete trim kit for your unit and if we decide to make something available to others well share the proceeds somehow.

Here's a similar idea I made for a roof rack on the rear hatch

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy Reply with quote

perfect man, I love it. exactly what I was thinking.

I think by making the outside adapter raise the height by 2", the interior piece provided would fit correctly.

What unit do you think we should use?

I would imagine the big vendors would want to pick this up, if it's as slick as we hope..

I'll shoot you a DM
Mike
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy Reply with quote

On the Maxxair fan the interior trim ring can easily be cut down to fit a thinner roof. Is that a concern for you or am I misreading your post?
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy Reply with quote

that was one of my concerns. thanks for that feedback.

mostly just looking for an easy exterior solution so as not to have to add fiberglass or tons of self leveling putty for the gaps.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D print install kit for Maxair/Fantastic Fan on Westy Reply with quote

i would readily pay for such an adapter but NOT if it raised the exterior height due to garage door clearance. i'm fine with the adapter bulk inside.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: