Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

I'm trying to make decision on seating arrangements in my Westfalia. I will be traveling with my wife, two kids 8 and 10, and OCCASIONALLY my oldest daughter who's college age. I need a removable 5th seat for when she decides to camp with us. My van has the floor rails for a single slide in seat, which seams like a good option. It would be a little bulky, but I could slide out the seat when we're camped and she'd be comfortable and have some space from her younger siblings. The other option is installing a rear jump seat. I'd have to do some modifications to make it work, but I like how much less space it takes. What I don't know is how comfortable it is, or how she'd feel riding backwards on a long road trip. Anyone else in a similar boat? Any other pros or cons?
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

I had an '84 aircooled Westfalia and mounted the slide in centre single seat. In 1985 my wife and 3 teen age children did a trip from Calgary to Grande Canyon, Disney Land, and back up the US west coast to Calgary.
The centre seat was perfect.

Everybody faced forward,
The seat slid out easily at night to put into the annex so all 5 of us slept in the van - rain or shine.
There is storage space under the seat, and
The seat also acted as a nice chair while on the ground in camp grounds.

But I have never had the rear facing jump seat to compare it with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Years ago I took four of my Grandchildren from Jersey to Montana in my 86 "weekender" with the old rear facing storage box seat.i

That seat was the golden throne! There were fights on who got to sit there until we developed a seating rotation schedule.

Zero problems with riding backwards.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Never heard of the single middle row seat before. It makes a lot of sense since it can be put on the ground outside to either sit there or make for more room inside. I'll bet it's heavy and awkward as I know W'burg makes bullet proof seat bases. Seems like with a little effort it could even work out to be a portable potty slot.

It would be nice if the slides were a little bit farther forward so the rear people could get good leg room. The single could be in the middle so their legs would go up the center aisle.

A nice item. A normal double, which is reasonably available as many take them out of tintops, could be harvested to either convert or be turned into a base for a standard front seat on a swivel. When turned around it could be a hassock or just face outward. Gets a fella thinking.

Duncan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Yep. You can fit a single or double middle seat in a westy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Judging from the adjustable arm rest and the loop at the from bottom edge of the seat, it is a DS front seat mounted on a swivel. Looks like it would be super useful.

Are these seats common? I can't believe that after almost 40 years of
T3 ownership, I never heard of them.

I've never been a fan of the middle seat mounting with the channels which make foot work a bit dicy without shoes. Also disliked the requirement of removing the aluminum cap at the edge of the sliding door. I tended to either remove the channels or cover them over and just ignored having anything in the middle. After the hockey bus career taking 5 or 6 kids to a game came to an end, the seat never when back in. In fact, although I have a jump seat behind the PS front, it has only been used once in 8 years.

Duncan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Judging from the adjustable arm rest and the loop at the from bottom edge of the seat, it is a DS front seat mounted on a swivel. Looks like it would be super useful.

T3 ownership, I never heard of them.

I've never been a fan of the middle seat mounting with the channels which make foot work a bit dicy without shoes. Also disliked the requirement of removing the aluminum cap at the edge of the sliding door. I tended to either remove the channels or cover them over and just ignored having anything in the middle. After the hockey bus career taking 5 or 6 kids to a game came to an end, the seat never when back in. In fact, although I have a jump seat behind the PS front, it has only been used once in 8 years.

Duncan

The single middle seat bases are hard to find. They go for about $200 when they appear. Yes it is just a front seat slid on the base rails, easy peasy.

As for the tracks getting in the way I set up the pergo so I can fully cover over the tracks with one slab of flooring, no metal edge either. YMMV.

The Western Syncro build
vtmtber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

My kids are 15, 11 and 7 so we needed another seat as well. I added a jump seat years ago and it is one of the best things I have done to my Westy. The kids love it and it's very functional while camping too. I rarely take it out but I can in less that 10 seconds if I need the floor space.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

The single middle seat was a somewhat common option in 84 (Wolfy), 85, and 86 models of full campers.
I've had maybe a dozen of those seats, prolly still have 3 or 4.
The seat base has a locking compartment that used the same key as the glovebox does.

The loop you noticed isn't part of the seat itself but rather part of the swivel mechanism welded in place on this single seat base as well as the front seat positions of Westy campers that came with kitchens. When you remove the seat from the base the loop stays behind on the base.

Mark

DuncanS wrote:

T3 ownership, I never heard of them.....

Duncan
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

vtmtber wrote:
My kids are 15, 11 and 7 so we needed another seat as well. I added a jump seat years ago and it is one of the best things I have done to my Westy. The kids love it and it's very functional while camping too. I rarely take it out but I can in less that 10 seconds if I need the floor space.

I have never seen a factory jump seat with arm rests and a headrest… owner mod?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Arm rests do give it away as an owner mod. Notice the upholstery is brown and the DS is grey. The head rest matches the front seats.
Note the difference between the stock armrests for the jump seats and the front seat adjustable ones in the pic below.

Modifying a two seat middle base to accommodate a swivel mechanism would be pretty easy.

I just spent a bunch of time reworking my middle seat and worked on the base which ultimately didn't get used, but could have been saved for that very purpose. I'd like to make a base for the jump seat so it can be used outdoors. Folding legs so it wouldn't take up too much space when stored.

Duncan
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:

I have two pairs, 91 ish. I've never seen one without headres, though they would be easily removed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

If you go with the non-factory installed jump seat, there are lots of safety concerns to take into account because the original design was engineered and us DIY guys just kind of figure it out. The bracket mount, floor mount, and seat belt attachments wouldn't meet the same factory safety standards. Not saying don't do it (I did) just that you'll want to know what you are getting into.

I put some back steel in the wheel well behind the bracket because I think the vans that came with jumpseats had some sore of reinforcement. Also, where the bracket attaches to the floor should be welded in place -- Foreign Auto Supply sells a kit, but it wouldn't be difficult to make.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

I just saw this mod in a van for sale https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2497730, if it's done well, I think it's a great way to bring a family on a road trip (more leg room, all kids seeing each other, etc). You still cannot open the fridge but I think you are able to swing the table in between.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
pck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:

Haha! I guess now there is a third option. For a single seat I'm not sure what this offers over folding jumpseat though.

DeLvxe wrote:

If you go with the non-factory installed jump seat, there are lots of safety concerns to take into account because the original design was engineered and us DIY guys just kind of figure it out. The bracket mount, floor mount, and seat belt attachments wouldn't meet the same factory safety standards. Not saying don't do it (I did) just that you'll want to know what you are getting into.

This does concern me. Safety is top priority for me.
Right now I'm leaning toward the single seat on rails, but maybe mounting the swivel underneath so they could sit and face each other if wanted.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

pck wrote:

Right now I'm leaning toward the single seat on rails, but maybe mounting the swivel underneath so they could sit and face each other if wanted.

The single seat base can be slid onto the tracks in the floor facing either forward or rearward. So a swivel is not strictly needed.

The Western Syncro build
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

It is more comfortable to travel on a forward facing seat, however it is much comfortable to camp with the back facing jumpseat installed.
Single front facing midle seats are hard to get, so I would go with the jumpseat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
vtmtber wrote:

IIRC the backrests are the same on the front seats and the jumpseat, so you can change those.
Or you can weld on the armrest brackets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

Look at the rear seat. It has one adjustable armrest on the right side and non adjustable one on the left. The brackets are different, but just bolt into the same holes. Haven't gotten around to replacing the left one yet.

Jump seat safety. Unless you are driven into from behind at a serious rate of speed, all the forces on the jump seat are to the front, so reinforcing the PS pedestal may be overkill. The sockets on the floor see sheer forces so using high grad bolts with a backing plate should also be OK.

Duncan
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jumpseat vs middle row seat in Westfalia Reply with quote

I've owned all 3 versions of extra seats.

I had an '84 Westy with both a single middle seat, as well as the double middle seat. They are quick enough to install and remove, so I didn't mind changing them to suit whatever needs I had at the moment. I found I kept the single seat installed most of the time. The biggest issue was if we were camping, the seat had to be moved outside. If we didn't have the side tent set up, or the weather wasn't the greatest, it created a little bit of hassle.
The singles seem to be way less common than the doubles, so if you're impartial ether way, the double will be easier and cheaper to find.

I then bought a '90 Westy, and installed a rear facing jump seat. That was by far the best setup for us. Especially on the long road trips when the kids were really young, my wife liked to be able to hop into the back to help them with a snack, or whatever else little kids always seem to need a hand with. I thought it might be in the way a bit, but even on a 2 month road trip with 4 of us in the Van, it wasn't a problem. Since you can remove it in literally 10 seconds, the odd time we would put it outside at the campsite. But for the most part, it just stayed where it was.

Of all the options, I would personally do the rear facing jump seat again without hesitation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: