Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 autostick - correct equipment?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

1968 Autostick, motor #AK194213 (early 70's motor)

After doing some research, I found that the autostick requires specific pieces of equipment.

I am not sure how accurate these model numbers are, but I certainly don't have any of these. What issues, if any, can I run into, by using what I have, rather than replacing for what should have been installed originally?

Carburetor stand should have been #167-1. I have a R9 261
Distributor should be 205P. I have a 205AA
Carburetor should be 34 Pict 3. I have a 30 Pict 3

I have not had this bug running yet, so I can't say if it "does this" or "does that"
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

since you are looking into the original distributor which has vacuum advance you will want the distributor to match your carburetor. I would advise using the first three part numbers and the letter digits as there are other "P" and "AA" distributors. The "205" only designates the part as a distributor in VW nomenclature, you need to be more specific with auto stick parts.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

The autostick version of the carb and dizzy are optimised for smooth acceleration. If you have the wrong versions, then the car should still idle and run fine at top rpm's, but you might bog down during acceleration.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Here are some more exact numbers that I have

Distributor - 113 905 205AA
Starter - 003 911 023A
Control Valve - 330 101 011
Carburetor - 30 PICT 3
Carburetor stand - R9 261

Does that help?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Is yours a single or dual port setup?
I'll get to why I am asking after your response.
Can you post photos of your setup? It would help immensely.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

it's a dual port. well, that's kinda hard to do.
Since I could not get the engine to turn over / start, we have decided to break the engine down and remove it. Which would lead to cleaning it up, and making everything right. When I get all that done, I will reinstall and hopefully it will start up. I have removed a lot off the engine before dropping, and this engine needs a lot of work. a lot. A lot of little things are missing (mounting hardware), hoses broken, fuel lines not connected, etc.

SO I am trying to get all the components that I should have, and test them to make sure everything is working as they should. Before I reinstall the engine. Which is what prompted this thread.

I'm hoping I'm not over my head with this, but I'm taking it as a learning experience.

I have removed a lot of the top half of the engine already. Was going to remove the mounting bolts in a day or so, to actually drop the engine.

The manifold is all cut up, and the heat risers are welded shut. so i definitely need to replace that.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Well here's the deal:
Your AA distributor and 30 PICT-3 carb are a good match for each other, but they came on the early (68-70) autosticks, which were 1500/1600cc single ports. Since you have a later dual port setup, they are not optimal and could maybe give you driveability issues. Honestly I am not sure how much difference they would make other than the fact that the distributor advance curve on the later autosticks was quite a bit different.

So you have a couple of options here depending on how genuine you want everything to be and your budget. You could:

a) keep the distributor and carburetor you currently have if they are good, and use them on the current dual port setup after you get a replacement intake (this would necessitate the use of an adapter between the 30 PICT-3 carburetor and the dual-port intake if you don't already have one, since the intake opening on the dual-port was a bit larger than the single port.) This is probably the cheapest route to go but may give you driveability issues, and the engine would need to be timed as if it was an earlier model (0° TDC instead of 5° ATDC as it was on the later models.) We can get into that later if this is the route you decide to go.

b) Swap the distributor to a 113-905-205 AH distributor and the carb to a 34 PICT-3, which would be correct for the 1973 AK dual port engine. Finding a 34 PICT-3 would be no problem but the AH distributor may be a bit tough, and might cost a bit, but this would give you the absolute correct combo for the dual port setup you currently have.

c) Swap the intake and heads to single port and run the distributor and carb you currently have. This would most likely be the most expensive option since heads are not cheap, and you would have to track down the specific autostick single port intake since it has the vacuum port on the neck.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here with more knowledge than I have regarding the intricacies of each of these options, especially option "a" since it will affect the overall engine performance. My personal preference would be to look into option "b" first. It's a little more expensive than option "a" but probably not nearly as expensive as "c" and will give you the best combo of everything (engine, distributor, and carburetor).

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

SInce this car is no where near original and is in really rough shape, I am almost certain the the bugs owner doesn't care about things being "true". It's got the wrong engine in place anyways. I am heavily leaning towards option A.

I will have more pictures tomorrow or Tuesday, but that adapter you mentioned for the carb, I am pretty sure that's in place already. I took the carb off the manifold and noticed it looked rather different than what I've ever seen. It certainly looks like a double "base".

I will get more info tomorrow when I get home.
I know I definitely need to replace the intake manifold. I will get the existing model number and see what I can find, if it's the correct one obviously.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Wasn't thinking about the "before" pictures, before I started stripping the engine. Here is an overall shot of what I started with.

The manifold I currently have is 113.129.701BA

Other than reference material, I have nothing to go by, since I can't even confirm when the last time the engine ran. Majority of the hoses were dry rotted and fell apart when removing. One also being the ATF hose that went up into to the right fender area. I am showing a photo of this ATF line that I'm speaking about

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Hmm. have you tried sourcing parts yet? I would make a list of everything you will need to be replacing (especially the autostick related parts since they may be harder to find), and then look for them on the classifieds here, on ebay, on vendor sites etc so you can be sure that a) all the parts you are going to need are obtainable before getting too far into it and b) it is within your budget.

1600 SP engine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

I haven't started searching for anything yet. Was going to wait till I had the engine out, and then start the list.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:

Carburetor stand should have been #167-1. I have a R9 261

I think you are looking at the incorrect (right) side of the base flange. Wrong. Modification State Numbers are on the LEFT side of the base flange.

Also, VW 167-1 was a 30PICT-2 carburetor.

In a couple of my images below, you can tell it's the left side because you can see where the throttle cable attaches.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

I think I'll be ready to drop the engine tomorrow or wednesday, but when i do, i'll get more photos
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Here, probably, is the intake manifold you need:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2428831
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Thanks. I saw that one but I was confused by that item on the top/front of it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Thanks. I saw that one but I was confused by that item on the top/front of it.

That's a valve for the EGR system that came on some later models. It can just be taken off.

I have also seen a couple of type 2 intakes that AFAIK are the same and had the same large vacuum port on the intake neck (on the type 2's this was used for brake booster vacuum):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2441047
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1973937

Someone else can chime in and confirm whether these would fit.

1600 SP engine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the one that is currently on the bug i have, I was going to ask what the two thing on the front is.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Here is a picture of the one that is currently on the bug i have, I was going to ask what the two thing on the front is.

Same-- mount for the EGR valve.

Taking a second look at the intake Tom linked, not sure if that extra "platform" can be removed. Don't think I've ever seen an intake like that before.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

Here's what the entire EGR valve and downpipe looked like:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2466424

You can see the mounting bracket that those two bolts you have on yours bolt up to.
Don't know that I've ever seen one like the one Tom linked.

1600 SP engine
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 autostick - correct equipment? Reply with quote

does that go through the left side and down through the engine tin?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: