Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!

I am starting this thread to show the progress on my 1965 Volkswagen Beetle. I started really working on the restoration in 2020. When I purchased it in 2017, it basically sat in a garage for a few more years until I just jumped head first into it.

I rolled it out of storage. My grandpa helped me get it started and I drove it to a car meet dust and all. It barely made it up a inclined exit ramp. BUT we made it! Drove it home and started the process of where I should start.

I will be jumping around whether it be working on the chassis or the body and etc. I put a new spare tire pan and front nose piece on as well as the rear rails due A LOT of rust.

I do have a youtube page, Instagram and Facebook. If you could do me a favor and like/follow/subcribe to any of those I would appreciate it! They are where you'll find the most updates!

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/_alchemydesigns_/

FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/Alchemy-Designs-105202578625030

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgdeTu_E1pFYxFcDm4dJvHg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bnuts01 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

The first thing I did was replace the front apron and spare tire well. Ground out the welds with a 3M belt file tool. Cleaned area where I will be installing new sheet metal. Used weld thru primer and test fitted the panels. Finally welded the panels in place.

Last edited by bnuts01 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Next I worked on the rear. As you can see the bumper mounts are rotted. Ordered some new ones. Fitted it with the fenders and decklid on. Then welded it into place.

Last edited by bnuts01 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnuts01
Samba Member

I split the body from the chassis. You could hear the metal and rust breaking off ever inch i lifted it up.

Last edited by bnuts01 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnuts01
Samba Member

I removed the old pans and trimmed and fitted the new ones.

Then I had FULL weekend to work on the bug and some wood projects.

Sand blasted the chassis and epoxy coated it with a new epoxy I've never sprayed before. Martin Senour 5274. Laid on with a basic Devillbiss Starting line 1.8 nozzle size. I HOSED it on and it laid our SMOOTH.

Yes that's a Cherry picker and engine stand holding it up. I also used an old red wagon to move it around. Work with what you got.

You can see the blasting and final on this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsN9UeI1RY

Still needing some TLC since I ran out of sand.

Last edited by bnuts01 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
bnuts01
Samba Member

saved
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

saved
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

saved
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

saved
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Nice work there!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli

Last edited by sportin-wood on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Wow - saved 4 times! Laughing

Nice work there.

I saved them because I wasn't sure how many I'll need to catch up to my social media stuff. Haha

Thanks!
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Nice progress. What did you paint the pan with? Did i spy another bug in the background?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Nice progress. What did you paint the pan with? Did i spy another bug in the background?

Pan was sprayed with Martin Senour 5274 Epoxy. It flowed really nice and actually powders up well. Not like some DTM epoxy where it gums the paper and causes swirls in the layer.

There is actually 2 more! A 1967 which was my uncles and there's a 1957 behind that which is my dad's car from high-school. Some of the videos and pictures you'll see a 924 which is my cousins.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

I saw the front end stance in the first picture and wondered what was going on. Looks like torsion bar adjusters and coil-over shocks. Nice.
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
I saw the front end stance in the first picture and wondered what was going on. Looks like torsion bar adjusters and coil-over shocks. Nice.

The previous owner must have put in the adjustable front end. It has someone's stamp on it but I can't make out who it is. Then decided to weld the "locking bolt" to the bracket... so I have to fix that

The coilover may be on for a bit but more than likely going to scrap. I hit them with the sand when blasting haha. I also think they ride like a lumber wagon when they have those one. Not saying It drives like a cloud but IMO it's noticeable from a stock shock to coilovers.
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Been a hot second since I have posted on here.

I got the front end repaired. Previous owner stripped the torsion bar stop nuts. Removed old ones and welded in some new ones. Epoxy coated and then painted black. No before pictures unfortunately.

Then I made a couple of engine stand into a rotisserie. Some angle iron and bolts later, we have an operational rotisserie!

I proceeded to prep the chassis for bed liner. Wheeled it into the booth and made 15-20mils of thickness with a little texture to it. (Note: A factory paint job is roughly 4-6 mils of thickness!).

I don't plan on putting carpet back into it, but still have the option too if I change my mind.

Then I decided to add some shelving. Cleaned the walls and tossed this up quickly. I have an additional shelf I can add later once I get those bigger boxes out underneath.

Next I will probably focusing on making the chassis a rolling chassis again so when the body is done I can just drop it into place.
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Started my weekend out by cutting the driver side heat channel out. Once I did that, I kept opening up a can of worms... Rust after Rust...

Pulled out the sheet metal and starting measuring.

The passeneger side (pictured) shows the amount of rust. The driver side was the same if not worse...

Everything pretty much in place before I had to clean up. Now just get the otherside fitted as well and start welding.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Great work and thanks for sharing the photos.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Beautiful!!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
bnuts01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bnuts '65 Beetle Rustoration Reply with quote

Welded in the panel. Ordered the inner heater channel panels and didn't realize they came with the outer section attached... SOOO that'll be the weekend project.

Also removed the wiring harness as well as finish up welding the rear engine bay.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: