Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck Distributor?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

I’m new at fiddling with distributors, but I’ll be darned if I can get mine out. Going to replace it with a 123 Ignition, so I’ve found TDC and verified that the rotor is pointing at #1. I have removed the nut and washer from the bracket that holds the distributor in place, and have also loosened the nut on the rod that keeps the distributor from rotating once you have set the timing.

The thing won’t budge, and I’m scratching my head wondering if I’ve missed something. I don’t see anything else in Bentley that holds this beast in place. Is this a typical thing where they get goobered up and stuck in place? Doesn’t seem like something I’d want to crank too hard on. Ideas?
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

Mine was a bear to remove, the O ring held the distributor in like glue. Use WD40 at the base and let it soak for a day then reapply. WD40 is the best bet because it softens and breaks down rubber seals / O rings. After a couple of days of soaking use a small monkey wrench on the base (not the housing that holds the points) and wiggle it back and forth. Once the old distributor moves a little you can pry it upwards with a good sturdy screwdriver or small pry bar.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

I’ll give it the old WD40 treatment then. When you say you ultimately wrenched on it at the base and not on the body, how did you get access to the base? I can’t imagine how much crap I would have to remove to get access to the base of this thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

Ah I see your point. If you have one of those strap wrenches it will work on the upper part. If you have to use the wrench on the upper body of the distributor try your best to keep it low near the plate where the points screw down so you don’t crack the body. You may be able to move it by hand once the WD40 did its job, mine sat for 34 years and I almost needed a nuke to get it loose.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

Got it, and makes sense. I’m not sure if this one has ever been out or not. Feels like not. 🤪

Thanks for the assistance. I’ll check back in when I’ve removed it.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

To remove the distributor, you only need to loosen (not remove) the 10mm nut that you would loosen to adjust the timing. Nothing else holds it in.

You do NOT need to remove the 13mm nut that holds the distributor clamp to the crankcase.

So yeah, you haven't missed anything. Should pull right out - only thing that could really hold it in the bore is the o-ring. Keep going!
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks to both Pops67Beetle and sjbartnik for your help. The WD40 worked pretty quick and I was able to twist it side to side with some significant effort that slowly eased with time. But no matter how hard I pulled up, I got nowhere.

So I pulled the AAR to make some space to be able to get something under the distributor body and pry it upward. Was able to get a pry bar in there and work it up and out of the case. That thing was in there! Could have pulled on it forever and not gotten the dang thing out, but it’s out now.

If you have any interest in the continuation of this project, look for my next post on the 123 Ignition and how that goes. Thanks again.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

RedSquare wrote:
If you have any interest in the continuation of this project, look for my next post on the 123 Ignition and how that goes. Thanks again.

You're going to really like that distributor! I have had mine for years and it's great.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

So what is the info on this 123 distributor??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

You're going to really like that distributor! I have had mine for years and it's great.

The other threads I’ve read on it seem to have positive feedback (including discussion from raygreenwood and Tram), so I was pretty comfortable giving it a shot. I’m looking forward to getting it installed and hopefully having fewer variables to think through when adjusting things. Very Happy
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
So what is the info on this 123 distributor??

Here is a pretty decent thread that explains the deal with this beastie. I actually don’t know anything more than what is shown here, but will have some first hand knowledge of how the car runs with it installed in the not too distant future. Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741004&highlight=123+ignition
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

I see, the distributor 123 is for fuel injected, wish mine was. my engine is similiar to the pre 68 models, dual carbs dual port heads stock exhaust etc. My current German 009 is fine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I see, the distributor 123 is for fuel injected, wish mine was. my engine is similiar to the pre 68 models, dual carbs dual port heads stock exhaust etc. My current German 009 is fine.

There are several models for both FI and carbureted engines and then different levels of connection & adjustability (USB connection, Bluetooth).

I'm currently using the basic version but will likely upgrade to the Bluetooth version so I can get a better look while engine tuning.

I bought mine directly from the company in The Netherlands because it's significantly less expensive (even when including shipping cost) and they're very supportive.

Last edited by ataraxia on Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

I don’t think these are specifically for FI cars. The one I bought was, but they make many other versions for carbureted cars. Give their website a look. (I don’t have any financial interest in their company.)

https://123ignitionusa.com/123ignitions/volkswagon/
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Distributor? Reply with quote

For EFI, 123 is a good way to go unless you have a a show car you are trying to keep original.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: