Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hans - Our 76 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

We've been enjoying Helga, our 71 Westy. My wife's coworker told us that she had an old VW Bus in her driveway that belongs to her brother, who's been out of the country for the last decade or more. She wanted it out of her driveway, and told us we should come look at it. I don't need another bus, but what the heck, let's go check it out.

We pull up and find this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After pulling the cover off, we find a 76 Sage Green Westy, sitting on four flat tires, with a license plate that hasn't been updated since 2009.

This bus has the original complete Westy interior and even has an underdash AC unit. The engine looks like it used to run, but is missing the AC compressor. The floors look solid, and there appears to only be surface rust on the body.

I told her that we could probably do something with it. We made an offer that she promised to present to her brother.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

A couple weeks went by, and I asked my wife to inquire about the bus. By now, I'm pretty interested. The late bay is so different than the early bay. The interior layout is a big improvement, in my opinion. The swivel seat, the sleepable loft, the cool pivot table. It has a larger engine with taller gears. I'm starting to wonder if it would be a better roadtrip vehicle.

After a little negotiation, we made plans to go pick up the bus. When I arrived, she handed me a three ring binder with maintenance records, an open Georgia title (important for us in Alabama where they don't title old cars), and a Bentley manual. A friend and I aired up the tires long enough to tow it out of the driveway and pull it onto my car trailer.

Got the bus home and started cleaning out the stuff in the interior and get to know my new project. I think the interior is in exceptionally good condition and just needs a little cleaning really.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice, looks in good condition! Great score.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

That's great! Under dash AC too?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Sweet Pickles!!!

How about that Westy side tent???
’65 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Sweet
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Late Bay camper layout…..dreamy…
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

That’s a great score and being its a Georgia bus, has minimal rust/rot. I am privileged to own a Georgia ‘77 westy as well. It’s quite solid thanks to years of Georgia clay undercoating. That interior looks mint as well. If you decide to get the factory a/c going some day and need an original compressor, let me know and i will gift you my old one. I dont ever plan on using it, and its still in Ga.

I also have the condenser/fans/under dash, etc. if you need some bits and pieces.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Those late bay bumper guards are enough to make a lot of use jealous I'm pretty sure!

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

AND you have the two burner stove with the sink.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

After reading through the 76 Owners Manual, it appears I have a Deluxe Campmobile with all the options.

I have the dash table with leg

and the side tent, which appears to be in really good condition

I can't wait to see how this guy drives.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

First thing I did was to put in on the lift and blow all the debris out from everywhere. Old leaves, cock roaches, etc. I removed the wheels to check the brakes. I was very glad to see new cotter pins on the rears, and a fresh set of drums and thick shoes. The fronts look good too on first glance. I think I'll just flush fluid, bleed and see where that takes me.

I pulled the battery out, and see that it was new in July 2007. It's a Walmart Special and still has a receipt attached. Voltmeter reads 0.0. I added some bottled water and put it on a 2A maintenance charge for a couple of days. It's now reading 12.78v! I may have resurrected a 14 year old battery!

I think I'm going to put the same Grabber Generals on this bus, so I need to freshen up the wheels. I pressure washed and hand sanded the wheels. I'll paint these silver, but I had some epoxy primer in the gun, so I went ahead and sealed them. Who knew flat tires could be so useful!

Last edited by Mberglo on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the most expensive batteries that Walfart sells. Best batteries for the $'s.
In this case you might have the volts, but you will probably not have the power. Makes for a good story though.
JerrietheBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

That interior is beautiful. looking forward to seeing more of this restoration
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

So, CrRusty was spot on. The battery doesn't have any cranking amps in it. I pulled another battery out of another project car to see if I can get it charged enough to do a compression test.

Applied some Rustoleum Aluminum enamel to the epoxy covered wheels. At $11 a quart, it actually sprays pretty good. It's actually a little two shiny, but I'll live with it.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thats going to be a nice bus after some tlc.

Good luck buddy Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Wow, and I thought I had a great OG find with my 77.

I love having the maintenance records with an old car, it shows that the previous owner(s) took at least some time to take care of the thing instead of just driving in into the ground.

Can't wait to see the progress. Look like it will be a relatively easy restoration.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

I've got the plugs out of the motor, and I can easily turn the motor over by hand with a wrench on the alternator nut. I couldn't get my other project car battery to reliably spin the motor, so I bought a new battery. That battery was able to barely turn the motor over, without plugs, but sounded like gravel in a washtub. I pulled the starter out and it's toast. The bearings are completely shot. I'll order a new one, and maybe start over on my battery experiment!

While I was underneath, I pulled the fuel hose off the tank and found it dry. Either the PO drained it, or it evaporated after 12 years. Either way, its better than having varnish plugging everything.

Last edited by Mberglo on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Buy a starter from AutoZone. Lifetime warranty and there’s one in just about every town incase it dies on a road trip. The new Bosch starters are made in Mexico and they aren’t very good.

I’d pull the engine and the tank. Clean the engine up, replace all the vacuum and gas lines. New plugs, wires, points, condenser, fuel filter, air filter, new throw out bearing and clutch disc. Clean the tank and install a new sock. I’d pull the whole interior, clean everything and reinstall. You never know what types of gems or weed pipes are in the crevices of the interior.

Are you going to use another WW pop top canvas?
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

I ordered a starter from Rockauto. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine FLAPS having one in stock. All FLAPS have turned into accessory stores; steering wheel wraps and LED kits.

I plan to pull engine, but would like to hear it run before I do, so I know how much to disassemble when I pull it. I also ordered new FI seals, and will replace all the fuel hose before trying to start it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: