Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hans - Our 76 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

My FLAPS stocks them, but you can beat Rock Autos prices.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

I sent the fuel injectors to Mr. Injector to have them cleaned, tested, and flowed. While they were out, I replaced all the fuel hoses and filter. Fuel Injection hose is expensive. I spent $100 just for 12 ft of hose. I bench tested the fuel pump, and it works! Before I put my new injectors and hoses onto the tank, I put plugs on the tank and added three gallons of gas. I let it sit for 24 hours while rocking the bus back and forth periodically. I drained that gas through a paint strainer back into the gascan. It was clean! I connected the fuel lines, replaced some vacuum lines and buttoned up the engine. I previously had spark, but now my timing light is showing I don't. So I installed points and condensor. Finally got it started, and it sounds great! I was able to drive it a couple hundred yards and besides the alternator not charging, it seems like it's going to be okay!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Woot woot!!!

That paint and top should clean up real nice. Hope you rock the patina on this one. 😉
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yea, I don't have any plans for a full strip and paint. I'm looking forward to buffing the rust. Very Happy
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

What’s up with the drivers side overrider?

Try a 50/50 CLR/water mixture in a spray bottle. Spray the bumper and scrub with a green 3M scrub pad. I bet that takes care of the rust stains.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

The bumper guard is how I found it. I do want to try to put it back in place.

I don't think I want to remove the surface rust. I really plan to wash and machine buff/polish the original paint.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
While they were out, I replaced all the fuel hoses and filter. Fuel Injection hose is expensive. I spent $100 just for 12 ft of hose. I bench tested the fuel pump, and it works!

Did you go to the BMW dealer???

3.28 a foot at Belmetric...

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-ap...08v1i1n060
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Local FLAPS had hose for $3.xx but it wasn't rated for fuel injection. FI hose was over $7 per foot.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yeah I paid like $40 for 7 feet from NAPA.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Question about the fuel injection: After running around my property for 20 minutes and everything running great, it failed to start the next morning. I didn't touch the gas pedal, but cranked the engine for 20 seconds, with no sign of detonation. I gave up. Came back an hour later, and it started after 3 seconds of cranking. Temps the first time were probably high 40s. Second time, probably mid 50s.

Thoughts?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Could the Auxiliary Air Regulator or the Cold Start Valve be acting up?
Do you still have voltage on the battery?

My 78 FI 2.0 starts right up in the cold, yours should too!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Electric pump? I read you should turn the key to on 3-4 times before starting to prime the fuel pump.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Electric pump? I read you should turn the key to on 3-4 times before starting to prime the fuel pump.

This does nothing on L-Jet, the pump does not operate until the starter motor is operating.

Your advice is fine for D-Jet but the Bus doesn't have D-Jet. Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

This does nothing on L-Jet, the pump does not operate until the starter motor is operating.

Your advice is fine for D-Jet but the Bus doesn't have D-Jet. Very Happy

Ah makes sense, I read that when troubleshooting with the 914, which, has D-Jet.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

A little update. The bus now starts and drives beautifully. The cold start issue never repeated. The alternator wasn't charging, but I researched it here, tracked down a loose connection at the regulator and resolved that issue. Taking it for a drive, the steering was awfully loose. I ordered new drag link and tie rods. After swapping the draglink, it now drives like it's supposed to. I'll do the tie rods later.

I drove the bus to work today, and it does 65mph on the highway effortlessly. I think I could like this bus.

I spent some time with my new Torq buffer that I got for Christmas, and cleaned up the original paint. There are several spots of surface rust on the exterior, and some pretty cool rust stains. I was careful not to buff those out entirely. I'd like to keep some patina on this one. I'm not sure if I should paint the bumpers and top, or leave them as they are. What would you do?

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

might want to get a usb borescope from amazon or something and check for rats nest above the oil cooler and under the engine tin before you go driving too much. also make sure you have the foam engine seal in place around the tin.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Definitely paint the bumpers and the top.
’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Rich - you specifically hoped I would "rock the patina" on this one.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

Paint the bumpers and top, but leave the other rust "as is". It's a 45 yr old vehicle so should have a few battle scars. However, for some reason, that doesnt seem to apply to pop-tops and bumpers. A little looks cool, but too much looks unfinished.
Great looking bus, and love the green or orange buses.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hans - Our 76 Westfalia Reply with quote

We ordered new BD canvas for the top, and removed the fiberglass and bumpers for paint. The overriders are going to take quite a bit of work to clean up, so I'll save those for another day.

The engine compartment had some significant rust due to battery acid spills. In fact, both battery trays were gone to the point that someone decades ago, installed wooden trays, and now the wood was even rotted. I installed new trays and fabricated a piece to fill the void where the dealer hacked it apart to install the original AC compressor.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: