Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kinked heater hose
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: kinked heater hose Reply with quote

When going over a newly purchased van, I found that in the process of removing the rear heater and joining the two coolant lines, the PO left a fairly significant kink in the line and there's not enough line to make for a smoother bend. Should this be a concern and, if so, any suggestions for smoothing the bend?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: kinked heater hose Reply with quote

Where's the kink? If it's in the loop to replace the rear heater, it's fine and don't worry about it since you don't want water flowing through that anyway. It would be like having the heater still installed but the valve off.

Duncan
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: kinked heater hose Reply with quote

I have exactly the same kink in a PO-installed loop to replace the rear heater. I concur with Duncan that it doesn't matter in terms of coolant flow - having coolant flow through the 'hump' of the replacement hose is not needed at all. I think people just find it easier to toss in a single coupling hose than two short hoses with plugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: kinked heater hose Reply with quote

I have a piece of kinked copper tubing I used for the same purpose.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: kinked heater hose Reply with quote

If you slice open (or just look at a cut end) a length of coolant hose you will see that it has reinforcing fibers, usually a nylon product, molded into the rubber compound.

These fibers have flex but they aren't designed to flex once cured into a 180° Quick folded bend.
Something has to give when this is done.
I was taught by Mercedes Benz in the Early 1970’s that once a hose is folded so severely you now have a weak spot from damaged fibers and over stretched rubber and thus a potential failure point in your cooling system.

Years ago when I was "refreshing" my 86 a well respected VW Vendor folded up the long front radiator hoses and shoved them into a box less than 1/2 the length of the hose!

Needless to say I had an idiot attack and let them know how wrong this is..... "we do it all the time" was their unconcerned reply.
Heavy sigh...... just another step backwards for society........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: