Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove water inlet without key
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

My bus is at the body shop right now getting painted, and I forgot about this key for the water inlet. I don't think I've ever used it. I certainly have no idea where the key is.

I've already ordered a replacement set for all 3 from Go Westy as the plastic here is corroded and cracked, so not too worried about preserving it. Any suggestions on getting this off without damaging anything important that I would still be needed with the replacement?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the set I bought from Go Westy: https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23582/complete-gowesty-hook-up-box-replacement-bundle-

Thanks!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

I just tried a bunch of keys until I found one that opened mine.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

Elliott wrote:
the plastic here is corroded and cracked, so not too worried about preserving it!

Given what you said above, I would just stick a flat-head screwdriver in the door hinge and bust it off to expose the screws.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

A wire with a short 90deg bend.
Does anyone have a pic of the key?
It’s not a “lock” its just tamper-resistant.
Mainly owner-resistant too. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

Did away with mine, just use a cork now. Smile
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

You don't even need a key to replace the whole assembly, only to add water there during use.
It wouldn't help at all to have the key. (that early style uses a real key)

Once the screws through the black plastic are out the assembly should come free and pull away from the body.

Then you have to remove the filler hose clamp and that may be a small struggle depending on how much slack the hoses have.

Mark
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Did away with mine, just use a cork now. Smile

yes, a champagne cork works great.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Once the screws through the black plastic are out the assembly should come free and pull away from the body.

I think the flap covers the bottom two screws - at least that's how it looks in the OP's photo. I don't remember if that was the case with mine.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

I think the flap covers the bottom two screws - at least that's how it looks in the OP's photo. I don't remember if that was the case with mine.

yes, but the flap doesn;t have a lock..in his pic he has the flap up and screws removed.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
SCM wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

yes, but the flap doesn;t have a lock..in his pic he has the flap up and screws removed.

Oooh, I see what you mean now! Yeah, just unscrew the whole box and disconnect/cut the water fill hose.
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

Thanks all...it's at the shop and the owner set me this pic so I haven't been able to play with it myself, but you've all got me wondering if it's just stuck and should be able to pull off like the other two boxes. Gonna drive by there tomorrow and check it out.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

There's bugger-all slack in the OEM filler hose. Best undone from the inside - undo the bottom of the hose first then the outside cover can be pulled away. There's still the overflow/vent hose, but that's more flexible.

Removing the keyed cover makes no difference to how to remove the whole assembly - it's irrelevant.
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
There's bugger-all slack in the OEM filler hose. Best undone from the inside - undo the bottom of the hose first then the outside cover can be pulled away. There's still the overflow/vent hose, but that's more flexible.

Removing the keyed cover makes no difference to how to remove the whole assembly - it's irrelevant.

Thanks...so you think maybe it's just not coming off due to no slack in the hose?

Is it easy to get to from the inside? I'll be stopping by the shop tomorrow after work, and might not have a lot of time to figure it out.

Thanks again!
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

Elliott wrote:
fxr wrote:

Thanks...so you think maybe it's just not coming off due to no slack in the hose?

Is it easy to get to from the inside? I'll be stopping by the shop tomorrow after work, and might not have a lot of time to figure it out.

Thanks again!

There are two hoses. One is the filler and the smaller is a vent. You may be able to reach in though the open space where the electrical box is. Maybe you get lucky and the hose clamp screws are pointed the right way.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:

There are two hoses. One is the filler and the smaller is a vent. You may be able to reach in though the open space where the electrical box is. Maybe you get lucky and the hose clamp screws are pointed the right way.

Yeah, hour tomorrow is your lucky day otherwise, iirc, those boxes are behind the fridge.

And then there is the hack job - Since you have never used it, you could always just cut the hoses getting the more open dude plug and replace them later.... With this approach Likely who ever uses it next will fill your interior with house water

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

To replace the whole assembly theres no need to open the keyed filler, it wont revel anything its the 4 outside screws that hold it in. Fyi I like that old style better then the new ones Go Westi and everyone else sells, I think the new design is ridiculous and when you do go to fill it dont be supprised when the water doesnt go down as there is a rubber flap inside that needs to be opened with what I dont know, I just cut mine out and I can now freely pour water in from a can or hose. Besides the new ridiculous door you cant pour water down the new ones!I wish I has that old key locked one that was standard with the van.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove water inlet without key Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Does anyone have a pic of the key?

Mainly owner-resistant too. Wink

For the record, here's one from my '90 chained up in my key graveyard. Ive never used it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: