Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability and appearance since part of the top pans are visible?

I am looking for something in satin black. I know there is por15, and I have used VHT epoxy rattle spray in satin black in the past, but the UVs eventually dull it.

I just tried KBS coating black top coat, but it is brush on top coat urethane and the gloss was more than I like and it came out somewhat blotchy with some brush marks. It was a lot of work since I have not removed everything on the inside and done this maintenance in quite a few years, but the results were not what I had hoped for.

You do not see a whole lot when everything is back in with the mats and seats covering most and it is good to know everything is protected for years to come, but I do see the top of the tunnel and from the seats to the body on either side so I will have to try something else in those areas. I wish I had a compressor and could shoot something in a 2k paint but that is not an option for me.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

There is 2K paint in spray cans available from Eastwood in various degrees of gloss, but check your local auto paint stores for similar products.

Once the can is "activated", you have a limited time to use it all up, but it is much more durable than regular spray paint.

My "tunnel" is covered with upholstery material that matches my seats (black "basketweave"),
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but I think black wrinkle paint would have looked just as good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

Yes, I have used the 2k rattle cans from Eastwood and Spraymax before and they are very good paint, but the chemicals in them you have to take respiratory and skin protection seriously before using.

I have never seen vinyl on the tunnel. That looks good along with the basket weave seats. Prob much better than my smooth vinyl that lets you slide some.

The main parts you see is the tunnel as you photographed as well as right next to the seats to body panel areas. Maybe I will sand a bit to level things out and just spray over those areas.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

I powder coated the pans and then applied Raptor Liner. It is normally sprayed on (like I did), but you can also apply it with a roller. It gives a fairly matte finish that has some texture.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
There is 2K paint in spray cans available from Eastwood in various degrees of gloss, but check your local auto paint stores for similar products.

Once the can is "activated", you have a limited time to use it all up, but it is much more durable than regular spray paint.

My "tunnel" is covered with upholstery material that matches my seats (black "basketweave"),

but I think black wrinkle paint would have looked just as good.

Those seats are gangster. Were they custom made?

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

No to custom; the front seats have Beetle covers. My rear seat covers were made to match almost 40 years ago. I think the name of that company was "Coachman" (long gone).

The photos in the Thing owners manual show "basket weave" seats. That was my inspiration back in 1983.

The "basket weave" material is nice; it keeps my butt from sliding around.

I always dream of having better front seats, but after over 40 years in the Thingdom, I've never done it. I really enjoy Thing road trips, but after 400-500 miles, I've had it (I'm an old guy).

One of these days.........
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you apply to the top of your floor pans for durability? Reply with quote

Me too!

I keep looking at the Scat procar with the low backs for the front.

I friend of mine had some in his Thing and I asked to sit in them and was impressed.

I am still running smooth vinyl Thing seats though and I know all too well of the sliding around!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: