Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Center cap for chrome wheel
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill iler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

can anyone here help identify the correct center cap type for the Accessory chrome wheels on my 74?

I can see in certain brochures a chrome center but can't tell if it is a bullet shape.... or more of a 'flat' center cap. Cannot determine if it had a logo or crest on it, etc. Diameter of hole appears to be 2.75 inches.

Any link to a site selling correct ones would help- there are so many options that look 'close'
I do not know the style name, either.

photo of the rim attached below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

I have a set of these wheels and am also missing the orig caps. The chrome accessory wheels are very to find and the center caps are even more rare.
I have not seen a good close up picture but I do know they would have had a black Wolfsburg crest in the center.

Here is the closest looking ones. They are a modern Center Line cap # C-20
I am going to get some Wolfsburg logos made to put over the Centerl Line one. I'm going with these until I find the originals....that could be a long while..

I enjoy hunting for the dealer accesories
bill iler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Found those online- w/center decal $165 a set, plain bullet style are $40/set...( Rolling Eyes my wallet is liking the plain for now).

PS If you need someone to share your costs of creating the 'correct' center decal lmk- I might be up for it- I like to find accessory/period correct items onto my VWs too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

The Thing Shop sells a perfect copy of the center cap.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

Al Capulco - I have not seen these at The Thing Shop. They have the very large caps that went with the large center white spoke wheels ( 6 1/2" centers ).
If I am wrong....let me know ,it would be a good find.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

Al
I looked up a picture in gallery of your Thing.....very very nice.
Can you show a close up picture of your caps, are they original VWoA ?
Would like to see the graphic emblem.

On specifically Acapulcos ; what would most likely have been used for wheels by dealers, if not the stock. The VWoA Chrome Wheels or the Sport Wheel Covers ? Thoughts......
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

I think you have to ask for them. The center caps I have on my Acapulco are from the Thing Shop. They are a nice copy, only difference is that they are in color and the originals were black. If you look in the VOA dealer accessory catalog you will find that the chrome wheels were the only accessory wheel for the Thing model. They were made by Superior, in North Hollywood, CA. I will post pictures of the cap later. Hard to say if the wheel covers were used more than the chrome wheels. I know they didn't last very long and are very hard to find.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

Here is the center cap for the chrome wheel.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

Good picture and info.

Thanks 😀
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Center cap for chrome wheel Reply with quote

bill iler - Did you ever find the center cap you were looking for ?

How did it turn out ? Any pictures to share ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: