Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox swap in a 52
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

Hi,

This topic has been covered, but i cant find any threads as of now.

Anyway. I`ve been told i need this adapter to fit a newer gearbox in the split bugs if i don't want to weld a bracket in.

Is this correct or is it just a nosecone swap and I'm good like in the later bugs?

https://wagenswest.com/product/lollipop/

Please dont turn this into a campaign for me to run the OG gearbox Smile
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

I have never used one but it looks like a pretty workable solution. Urethane motor mounts tend to be crap so that is my main reservation.

Keep in mind that you will still need a bus nose cone and hockey stick to use this mount.

The other option, is to install a late '52-'59 split case synchro transmssion with a '59 and earlier bus nose cone and hockey stick. This will all bolt in with no mods other than having to drill a hole in the top of the hockey stick for the shift lever lock screw. This won't be as robust as a tunnel trans but will give you synchromesh on 2nd through 4th and will be fine if you aren't running a big engine.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I have bought a T2 nose cone. What is a hockeystick?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

Notch_Norway wrote:
Thanks Smile

I have bought a T2 nose cone. What is a hockeystick?

The hockey stick is the shift rod that is mounted through the nose cone. It is matched to the style of nose cone, so you need the bus hockey stick for the bus nose cone.
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

Thanks, mate Smile
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

The name "hockey stick" is slang, because the overall shape resembles that of a sports hockey stick with its downward-bent "paddle" area and the long holding stick (W1K1 gallery). Here you can see small differences with the hockey stick "paddle" end, the dimple location, and the shape &length of the "Z" of the paddle end.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Per esde's explanation, here's a photo from a later Type 2 repair manual showing how the hockey stick fits through the nose cone (AndyBees gallery). Beetles and other VWs have different details but the principle is the same. The front end of the stick (the long end "handle") has the small dimple. This dimple is where you attach the small securing bolt of the shift rod's rear bushing and mounting cage. When you shift gears using your shift lever, the shift rod rotates slightly and moves front/back. This motion is transmitted into the transmission via the hockey stick.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

If you are going to use a later split case gearbox with 2nd-4th gears synchronized, then I'm pretty sure you can use your original nose cone and hockey stick. (this is a '53-'60 beetle gearbox)

If you are going to use a fully synchronized tunnel type gearbox, then you have to get creative. There are four different solutions, all of which have some drawbacks. (the "lollipop", a plate that hangs way down, a bolt on piece for the nose cone, and an aftermarket nose cone. they are all discussed in various places in the split bus forums) I didn't like any of them, so I took a different route.

On my '50, I took a '60s era tunnel type nose cone, and had a machinist turn it down on a lathe, and then weld part of a split case nose cone onto it so it fits into the stock mount. Then we used a bolt on mid mount on the transmission to help hold the weight so the nose cone would have an easy life. This solution worked well, and is total bolt-on, with no hacks to the car. The down side is that it is a bunch of work and expense (not that any other solution is particularly cheap and easy). I have driven it over 6500 miles with a 100+ hp engine, and it works just fine.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

Quote:

On my '50, I took a '60s era tunnel type nose cone, and had a machinist turn it down on a lathe, and then weld part of a split case nose cone onto it so it fits into the stock mount. Then we used a bolt on mid mount on the transmission to help hold the weight so the nose cone would have an easy life.

I think we need pictures because this sounds like a good solution.

Don
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Quote:

On my '50, I took a '60s era tunnel type nose cone, and had a machinist turn it down on a lathe, and then weld part of a split case nose cone onto it so it fits into the stock mount. Then we used a bolt on mid mount on the transmission to help hold the weight so the nose cone would have an easy life.
I think we need pictures because this sounds like a good solution.

Don

I'll try to get some pics. The hard part is finding a machinist/welder to marry the two nose cones together.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox swap in a 52 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
If you are going to use a later split case gearbox with 2nd-4th gears synchronized, then I'm pretty sure you can use your original nose cone and hockey stick. (this is a '53-'60 beetle gearbox)

If you are going to use a fully synchronized tunnel type gearbox, then you have to get creative. There are four different solutions, all of which have some drawbacks. (the "lollipop", a plate that hangs way down, a bolt on piece for the nose cone, and an aftermarket nose cone. they are all discussed in various places in the split bus forums) I didn't like any of them, so I took a different route.

On my '50, I took a '60s era tunnel type nose cone, and had a machinist turn it down on a lathe, and then weld part of a split case nose cone onto it so it fits into the stock mount. Then we used a bolt on mid mount on the transmission to help hold the weight so the nose cone would have an easy life. This solution worked well, and is total bolt-on, with no hacks to the car. The down side is that it is a bunch of work and expense (not that any other solution is particularly cheap and easy). I have driven it over 6500 miles with a 100+ hp engine, and it works just fine.

This is incorrect. You need a '59 -'59 split case bus nose cone and hockey stick which continued to use the rubber doughnut/retaining plate arrangement until they went to the tunnel transmission on the bus in 1960. You will also need the rear transmission cradle so you can use the later style rear trans mounts. This will be completely bolt in configuration although you will still need to drill the divot on the top of the hockey stick.

The '59 and earlier synchro (2-4th) definitely won't work as it is not setup for the doughnut mount and the '60 was a one year only part that is very different so it won't work either.

This is the late '52 (Zwitter) -'59 Beetle nosecone.

This is the '53 - '59 Bus nosecone. Note the much larger diameter of the shifter shaft area and the half round ridge that mates with the rubber doughnut mount.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: