Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Free stuff
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Free stuff Reply with quote

What's the deal?
Maybe I could give this stuff away if I offered free shipping?????
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2506369
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

Well... Just like the guy who put a good working used fridge out by the curb with a free sign on it. It sat there for a week and someone suggested he put a price on it.

...it was gone the next morning...

Sometimes it's about perceived value.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

It's a generous offer, and I'm sure someone will take you up on it. But honestly, I (and most VW people I know) already have buckets and boxes and bins of 'stuff' like that. I have so many parts that are too good to throw away, but I doubt 2% of them will actually get used again. By me or anyone I offer them to. I've even had trouble giving away piles of odds and ends like that at swap meets, and usually the guy who takes them is:
a) going to try to resell them
b) going to leave them in a bin in his garage for another 20 years

Hopefully you'll find someone who can put them to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
It's a generous offer, and I'm sure someone will take you up on it. But honestly, I (and most VW people I know) already have buckets and boxes and bins of 'stuff' like that. I have so many parts that are too good to throw away, but I doubt 2% of them will actually get used again. By me or anyone I offer them to. I've even had trouble giving away piles of odds and ends like that at swap meets, and usually the guy who takes them is:
a) going to try to resell them
b) going to leave them in a bin in his garage for another 20 years

Hopefully you'll find someone who can put them to use.

You are right.
I, too, have piles of "good stuff" ----but when I need something I forget about (or can't find) what I have and buy another part only to discover later that I had one. Perhaps I should not restrict the "gift" to end users and let somebody try to make a buck. At least that way I wouldn't have guilt feelings about putting "good parts" in the landfill.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

Sometimes ya just gotta let it go, you tried and no takers. As stated most have all that stuff and more.
When I closed my shop and moved to another state, I had a big sale. 4 for 1 you bought one box and got 3 free Laughing worked pretty good
Sometimes when I sell or give away things on the samba I include extras.
It is never all gone is it Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

4 days and you're wondering why no takers? Give it a while, bump it up a few times. Not everyone is on here every day...
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

is that blue coil 6 or 12 volt, Chuck?

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Well... Just like the guy who put a good working used fridge out by the curb with a free sign on it. It sat there for a week and someone suggested he put a price on it.

I was visiting my dad about a week ago and cleaning up around his shop we discovered his air compressor was inoperative not worth fixing and too bulky for him to use. We placed it by the curb and it was gone in less than 30 minutes. To brighten things up I hung some motion activated LED lights so he can see better. The old fluorescent lighting sat by the curb for several days before a scavenger took it. I like the idea of repurposed material items, don’t you?

I scored on curb alert item while visiting him. I got a 5 gallon VP plastic racing fuel can with wide mouth fuel hose. Just sitting by the curb half full of rotten gas. All it needed was a thorough cleaning, retails for 39.95 plus shipping new😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
is that blue coil 6 or 12 volt, Chuck?

Hiya Dave:
The coil is 12 volt as is at least one of the Bosch regulators------I found no marking on the other, but I suspect it is also 12V.
While there are no guarantees, the electrical parts all came off of operating cars at least 20 years ago.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Taking your suggestion, I have raised the price from "FREE---you pay $22.65 shipping" to "$23 shipped". Laughing
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

I tried to give away....FREE...an entire front end assembly from wheel to wheel including all tie rod ends, steering box, etc. from a 1962 sunroof. I ran the ad until its expiration right here on The Samba, guess what, no takers. People are just to lazy to get FREE parts. When I was younger, I would have driven all night for such an item. I guess if you want to give it away AND pay the shipping you might have takers. During this same time , and I checked, people on the east coast sold beams, spindles, and steering boxes all used. The only thing I can figure is they had it delivered, (shipped) directly to their door. Also, I dont think putting a price on a used VW part is the answer. The piss off factor is way to high. I have seen someone at a show put $5 on an item clearly worth $100 and someone came by and offered $1. How many time have you seen this?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

Take it to the swap meet and give it to the guy next to you.
When they aren't looking Laughing
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Ha! I did that with a couch once $500 obo sign, someone took it the second night. I'm sure once they got it in the house they noticed the smell, I worried for a week they were going to bring it back.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
I tried to give away....FREE...an entire front end assembly from wheel to wheel including all tie rod ends, steering box, etc. from a 1962 sunroof. I ran the ad until its expiration right here on The Samba, guess what, no takers. People are just to lazy to get FREE parts.

You might be right.

I too had a complete low mile front beam from a '68 Bay Bus roll over. Mint condition drum to drum. Advertised it as come and get it for free here on the Samba and on a local Faceplant VW site for several months. No takers. The problem always came down to "Are you here in the city?" "No you have to get in your car and drive."

I refused to take it to the scrap metal dealer and finally got rid of it 2 years later by offering to meet the guy part way. I drove 2 hours, he drove 1. When he saw it he couldn't believe I was giving it away it was so nice.

Well ya! Duh!

I also had a '73 Westy roll over and after I took what I wanted (engine and transaxle) I did the same with it, offered it for free, come pick it up, lots of parts here. I also offered to bring it to the city if someone would pay the gas. It sat here for 4 years until a young guy with a trailer came and got it. Once it hit the city suddenly it was in great demand and I watched on Faceplant as it changed hands rapidly several times in the next 3 months!

Are they just lazy or are they terrified of what lies beyond the city limits and the street lights?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

I just sold my million mile beam without spindles on craigslist. $10.00 Glad to see it gone from the garage.

I also haunt a couple of reloading sites where it is offered as "pay-it-forward" to new reloaders, etc.
Quote:
I have buckets of 38 special brass. Come & get it.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
I tried to give away....FREE...an entire front end assembly from wheel to wheel including all tie rod ends, steering box, etc. from a 1962 sunroof. I ran the ad until its expiration right here on The Samba, guess what, no takers. People are just to lazy to get FREE parts.

You might be right.

I too had a complete low mile front beam from a '68 Bay Bus roll over. Mint condition drum to drum. Advertised it as come and get it for free here on the Samba and on a local Faceplant VW site for several months. No takers. The problem always came down to "Are you here in the city?" "No you have to get in your car and drive."

I refused to take it to the scrap metal dealer and finally got rid of it 2 years later by offering to meet the guy part way. I drove 2 hours, he drove 1. When he saw it he couldn't believe I was giving it away it was so nice.

Well ya! Duh!

I also had a '73 Westy roll over and after I took what I wanted (engine and transaxle) I did the same with it, offered it for free, come pick it up, lots of parts here. I also offered to bring it to the city if someone would pay the gas. It sat here for 4 years until a young guy with a trailer came and got it. Once it hit the city suddenly it was in great demand and I watched on Faceplant as it changed hands rapidly several times in the next 3 months!

Are they just lazy or are they terrified of what lies beyond the city limits and the street lights?

I do think it is all three things now that you mention it. They are LAZY, terrified of what lies beyond the city limits and they stop when no more street lights are present. Again, in the 60s, I would have driven all night to get just the spindles. Now, most all get the CHEAPLY made Chinese CRAP delivered right to their door. More money than sense. It will take a whole lot to turn back this clock. I have never seen it so bad.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

UPDATE
Views=221
Takers=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2506369

EDITED UPDATE
A wise man (who shall remain unnamed) has stepped up to the plate, so the box of wonderful stuff is gone, gone, gone. Very Happy

Last edited by iowegian on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

I have a '92 Jetta 2 door and an'89 Jetta 2 door parts car, both run. They are very rare cars here, lots of 4 door Jettas but not 2 door. I drove 10 hours one way and paid $800 to get the parts one 4 years ago, it was the only one I could find. Last winter I decided I had too many project cars and advertised a package deal on these two cars, come and pay the $1200 I have into them and drive/tow them home. Lots of new parts thrown in too. Two guys call hot on it, loved the picture I sent - neither one showed up when they learned the cars were not in the city.

So they sit - for now. I refuse to spoon feed these guys anymore!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

In my downsizing mood I decided Dad's '69 Bay window had to go too. Again advertised here and on the Faceplant VW site. The local guys on Faceplant made fun of the Bus, told everyone it was a total rust bucket and that I wanted far too much money. I never put a price on it, just offers, come see it. No one from there ever came to see it.

A car flipper from the coast called asked what I had in mind for price. By then I was so ticked off I quoted what I thought was way too much and he said "Hold it for me I'm coming. He caught a flight out, brought a, battery, new fuel pump and new rubber brake lines (it hadn't run in 20 years), put them on and drove it home 15 hours through the mountains in the winter!

I hated to see it go so far away but screw these local guys!

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Free stuff Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

EDITED UPDATE
the box of wonderful stuff is gone, gone, gone. Very Happy

Way to circumvent the rules Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: