Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

I just looked at the cocomats.com site (cursory look) and I see the mats have a rubber backing with nibs. I don't want nibs on the backing, as they will go directly over my original rubber floor mats and I don't want that abrasion (the nibs are intended to grip carpet and not slide.) I also don't like the vinyl edging material, I prefer fabric. My '56 bug has mats like I want but they came with the car and I have no idea where they came from. Any other sources?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

Cocomats.com are NOT the original Coco mat company. I know much more about this than I originally let on. You see, years ago, I almost bought out the original makers of Coco mats. I really liked them and they were about to go out of business.......just had to actually buy out the existing stock, but it was rolls and rolls of the coir matting. The NEW mats offered by Cocomats are NOT as the originals, but they are a close second. the best you can get anywhere. Except, Wolfsburg West has a little different and cheaper product (I dont know where Tony gets his) I have them installed in my 63 Ragtop. All, as far as I know have the vinyl on the edge and the plasticized backing with nibs. I have forgotten more about this deal than I remember except that NOW they are called BETTER.
Maybe it is for nostalgia sake, but I also think they WERE better then. Now they carry MANY different styles, sisal, nylon, patterned,etc. They are not at all like was sold in the 1960s and 70s. I also believe that Volkswagen sold these under their ZVW program. Again, I dont like the nibs either, as most people who spend the money (and they are no longer cheap) want to cover their existing floormats to protect them. But it is impossible with the nibs. And remember, this is said by the current makers to make them better. No it just offers another feature that many dont want.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I just looked at the cocomats.com site (cursory look) and I see the mats have a rubber backing with nibs. I don't want nibs on the backing, as they will go directly over my original rubber floor mats and I don't want that abrasion (the nibs are intended to grip carpet and not slide.) I also don't like the vinyl edging material, I prefer fabric. My '56 bug has mats like I want but they came with the car and I have no idea where they came from. Any other sources?

I just pull out my rubber mats (and underlayment— the rubber backed coco mats are thick!) and use the coco mats directly on the floor. I use the rubber mats for show.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

Finally received my Coco Mats. Very impressed with the quality. They are much heavier than I expected. The two front mats weigh a combined 12 pounds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

Oh yeah!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

Very Nice Marc Cool
I have been considering a set too!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your Ghia's Coco Mats Reply with quote

I've not seen many examples of Black & Red Cocomats in a white or ivory car. Here's a nice example. It adds a nice splash of color to an otherwise black and white picture.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: