Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

I've done some searching on-line but it appears there has been zero attempt by anyone, anywhere in the world to successfully convert a Eurovan into an electric drive vehicle. Has anyone else looked into the feasibility of this at all? I just sank a ton of money into my EVC and worry that this great camper platform will soon be left for dead as parts and service become ever more slim and none. It seems to me that electric conversions will become the only salvation for these beloved vehicles. Your feedback is welcome.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

TFB777 wrote:
I just sank a ton of money into my EVC and worry that this great camper platform will soon be left for dead as parts and service become ever more slim and none.

How soon?

I don't think electrickery works that way
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1456

T4 being converted with Tesla drivetrain.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

My old boss use to say, "Given enough time and money, anything is possible". There are some shops that specialize in electric conversion. Kreisel Electric and Arnold Schwarzenegger electrified his H1 Hummer.
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

I've been wondering the same thing over the years.

But until they sell some mass mark plug-n-play system I think the conversions will remain prohibitively expensive.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/world/classic-car-electric-ev-c2e-climate-spc-intl-hnk/index.html

For rare luxury cares the investment may be worth it.

But at $20-30k for the conversion, that's practically the cost of buying another Eurovan.

http://www.makemineelectric.com/faqs.html#13
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

With Ford selling a e-crate motor, it is closer to becoming a reality.
https://electrek.co/2021/11/03/ford-is-selling-mac...0-concept/

Also saw the VW e-bus concept in the new today.
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/id-buzz-microbus
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

Since they sold hundreds of thousand of T4's in Europe - and they are still popular over there, I'm hoping to see a T4 conversion kit to emerge over there at some point. The best thing about going electric is that we can remove the Achilles heal of the Eurovan as well - The damn transmission!
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

Fear not,

The modern replacement for the EVC in the US is the Tofino: https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bottom bed is the size of the MV and it has a great electrical system (Li).

Otherwise, enjoy your EVC. You will be able to get mechanical parts for it for some time. The cosmetic pieces will be "used".
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

Didn’t Starsky and Hutch drive a Tofino?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn’t Starsky and Hutch drive a Tofino?

I think it was a Gran Tofino.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

More hope for electric vehicle conversions: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58578061

Gran Torino... but you knew this. It was in the Clint Eastwood movie Gran Torino too.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

spacetiger wrote:

Gran Torino... but you knew this. It was in the Clint Eastwood movie Gran Torino too.

Clint Eastwood was a van-lifer bad@ss.

I don't think electrickery works that way
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

Ya, just tagging on with the funnies. I am enjoying the conversation. I feel like the writing is on the wall for the ICE within my lifetime (if I live for a while longer). Heck, I am having trouble finding hoses for the coolant system.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

spacetiger wrote:
Fear not,

The modern replacement for the EVC in the US is the Tofino: https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/

Otherwise, enjoy your EVC. You will be able to get mechanical parts for it for some time. The cosmetic pieces will be "used".

Yes to hanging on to our Eurovans as is for now.

That Tofino starts at $85k base model, ouch!

For that much you can also get a brand new electric Rivian truck, which just IPO'd today...
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:

That Tofino starts at $85k base model, ouch!

What would be the forum's guess on what a modern VW camper replacement would cost in 2021 (NASA shows the EVC cost $38,733 in 2002)?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

T6 California runs near 100k in EU
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

That is what I thought. We would be lucky to get a modern EVC for $85K; these small campers are very popular now.

That said, the lack of buyers back in the day is what killed off VW making a decision to bring T5+ back here. I hope the new demand will change VW's corporate mind as they could sell all the California models they would bring here.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

The Metris-based Camper is available here now in various forms...still - I think you are pushing $70K for the Weekender-type package. Exciting to see though. I saw one in person here where I live just a month or so ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

VAEV1993 wrote:
The Metris-based Camper is available here now in various forms...still - I think you are pushing $70K for the Weekender-type package. Exciting to see though. I saw one in person here where I live just a month or so ago.

I forgot about this option! I take it as a sign VW may consider jumping back in the US market. It fell out as an option because the weekender seats only 5; we need at least 7.

As a side note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8kHgmZIiQ&t=954s

A kinder review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C00aaAx3uzA
At around the 15 minute mark, there is a discussion about the "chicken tax" from 1963 which I found very interesting.

And a Metris camper video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBm9eMx744M

Last edited by spacetiger on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:59 am; edited 4 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan conversion to electric - Is it feasible? Reply with quote

It’s possible but certainly not economically feasible right now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: