Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

As discussed in a previous thread, I am going to try a Holley Sniper EFI kit on my '72 Bus. I tried to buy the smaller 1100 Sniper but got delay after delay on it being shipped so I cancelled that one and got the 2GC for $1200.
My kit arrived today and here's what it looks like, I guess Holley doesn't mind if you end up with aluminum shavings in your intake...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by xoo00oox on Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Hmmm...., I guess the deburring and cleaning guys were away at a re-education "retreat" that week. Confused

I'm dying to see how this works out, I've been peeking at the other threads now and then with interest for a few projects.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Hmmm...., I guess the deburring and cleaning guys were away at a re-education "retreat" that week. Confused

I'm dying to see how this works out, I've been peeking at the other threads now and then with interest for a few projects.

I just sent them an email with pictures asking them what up with that, let's see what the respond with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Watching with interest.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, keep up the good work.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Damn that sucks
Also, can't wait to see the results!

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Will keep an eye on this thread as have been reading up on them

What size of engine are you looking to put this on?

Shame about it not being ready to use out of the box, hopefully, it's a one off
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

I've been running the holley 2300 super sniper on my Oval for while and no issues and really happy with the performance. Its 2 liter engine. I picked another holley 2300 super sniper for my 1970 Bay and waiting on the engine to be built going with another 2 liter.
Here is a pic.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
I've been running the holley 2300 super sniper on my Oval for while and no issues and really happy with the performance. Its 2 liter engine. I picked another holley 2300 super sniper for my 1970 Bay and waiting on the engine to be built going with another 2 liter.
Here is a pic.

Very nice to see and hear this. Do you use your car in below freezing temperatures?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

It has been three weeks now that I contacted Holley with pictures of the aluminum fragments and no response from them. I sent them about 8 emails, I wanted to see what they have to say about it but I guess they just don't care.

I drove my bus into my shop the other day and dropped the motor out. I decided to take to motor out so I could clean it up and go over it well and put in the missing air flaps.

The carbs are in my classifieds right now if anyone is interested.

I pulled all this off and sent it to my local NAPA so they could put it in their parts washer- I'd much rather pay to have it de-gunked than spend my time doing it.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

My motor was missing the thermostat, bracket, pulley, cable, and flaps and I wanted to replace them so the engine will warm up properly in cold temps.
I paid a visit to a local old timer's shop and he directed me to one of his old buses that has a stash of type 4 engine parts, check this out...

He had about six NOS thermostats still in the box.

I started mocking up the EFi unit to see how it will all fit.

imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

That looks good. What size engine is that?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
That looks good. What size engine is that?

It is an AW code engine, so unless someone changed things over the years it should be an 1800.
Crashly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

I am thinking about doing the same on a 2 liter. I just installed a sniper on a 383 offroad racing engine and I love it. Where did you get the intake runners and manifold? It looks similar to the emp setup that I currently have.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

That's just the universal 2BBL intake manifold that has been available for years. I got it from the same old timer I got the thermostat from. It is available new at most of the big Aircool VW suppliers.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

I got all my sheet metal and fan shroud back from NAPA, all nice and de-grimed. This is sooooo much nicer than spending 8 hours scrubbing parts in a parts washer!

The Holley kit comes with a temp sensor. On a typical installation it would be used to measure the coolant. Since we don't have antifreeze in our engines I decided to use it to measure the oil temp. I know VW used cylinder head temp for their EFI system and maybe this will prove to not be the best decision- we'll see!
I picked a spot and drilled and tapped a it on the case where the temp sensor will be saturated in oil. The threads are 3/8" NPT (taper threads).

imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

You can see in my pic above, mine is in the fuel pump block off plate and seems to work fine. I think it's mainly used for the warm up part of program. I think mine is set at 165 degrees then goes into self learning.
Does your self learn, once you get basic program going? I am anxious to get my bus set up with the super sniper.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

If you find that it takes to long for the oil to heat up you could go this route.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=131292&start=45

https://thedubshop.com/modified-coolant-temp-sensor-type-4/
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
You can see in my pic above, mine is in the fuel pump block off plate and seems to work fine. I think it's mainly used for the warm up part of program. I think mine is set at 165 degrees then goes into self learning.
Does your self learn, once you get basic program going? I am anxious to get my bus set up with the super sniper.

Interesting, I'm glad that is working out for you just mounted in the fuel pump block off. Do you use your car in below freezing temps? This is self learning as well.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

the 914-4 uses a sensor in the plate there.
here's info from this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687191
chompy wrote:
Theres a cool adapter you can replace the cover with so that you can put an oil pressure/temp sensor. Check out ratwells site. Can't remember if that used an oring or paper gasket but i thought it was paper...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: