Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I wouldn’t trade my Westy for a loaded Sprinter camper, but dayum, this Winnebago is awfully tempting. I think I’d do it. Anyone else see this bad boy? It’s expensive but just about an ideal in size and amenities. It’s like a larger Westy and even has a shower and room for bikes inside. If I wasn’t shopping for a plane, I’d be all over this thing. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I would rather have 5 T3 Westies , one with a Subaru engine, thank you very much.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I've actually been looking at the Solis for more almost 2 years, not as a replacement for my Syncro, but more as a complement (I can see how it would work great for long roadtrips to Yellowstone or Glacer, while I use the Syncro for more local off-the-beaten-path outings).

Alas, my kids are in the teen phase and are starting to think that camping with the parents is not as cool anymore (plus we've already did Glacier and Yellowstone with the Syncro) so the need/desire for the Solis is fading out.

I think Winnebago did a great job designing a simple poptop camper for a family that ticks a lot of items - sure, it could be improved with Lithium, etc and some folks would prefer to have an AWD Transit as the chassis instead of a Promaster but the starting point is very good.

I found that the following Facebook group (Winnebago Solis Owners and Wannabees) is one of the most comprehensive and knowledgeable resources available for the Solis (https://www.facebook.com/groups/382676146010723)

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I saw one of these at a travel show a couple of years ago. Fit and finish was much nicer than a Eurovan Winnie and they've done a great job of modernizing what is essentially the Westfalia design.

I've spoken to a couple of van outfitters (asking for a friend Smile) about them and have been told that they're good for customizing because they're wider than Transits or Sprinters so the bed can be more easily fitted horizontally, but that mechanically they're not the same quality.

Also I don't like that super low-looking rear axle/bar on Promasters. It looks like a perfect rock target.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Also I don't like that super low-looking rear axle/bar on Promasters. It looks like a perfect rock target.

Laughing

Hah, yeah. The suspension design looks terrible and I can't bring myself to spend $100k on such a subpar base vehicle. Every time I see one on the road I shake my head.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Every time I see one on the road I shake my head.

Agreed.
In all your pics there will be pavement just out of the frame.
It would be a vastly different experience than what the Westfalia “offers”.
You can carry more sports eqpt. The increased space is alluring.

Westfalia barely has space for 1 sport.
If you want more than 1 sport, the 2nd sport needs to have compact equipment.
Hiking, napping, reading, photography, wrenching, flogging your phone, exploring, watching for other Vanagons etc.

That Winnebago could broaden horizons…..(paved horizons).
Its not for me while public lands are still open (in the West👍🏽).
Maybe someday though.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I've been a Van owner for 26 years and I'd trade in a minute if it weren't for the price. The Westy is great for solo travel but when you add family to the mix, it just gets too small and doesn't have the amenities I want as I get older.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I've been a Van owner for 26 years and I'd trade in a minute if it weren't for the price. The Westy is great for solo travel but when you add family to the mix, it just gets too small and doesn't have the amenities I want as I get older.

As would I!!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I traded in for 1998 GTRV Ford 4.6L V-8. Westfalia layout but 33% roomier. It’s actually the “Westfalia “ model.

I dislike the “10 pounds of rocks in a 5 pound bag” layout of many of the newer designs. Folding bench seats facing each other also bug me. And the price tag makes me faint…for a Dodge!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

Whats the cost of maintaining those new vans?
Do you have to get the oil changed at the dealer to maintain the warranty?
How much does a Sprinter oil change cost at Mercedes?
Does is cost more than the mortgage payment?

But they do more than change your oil, they check washer fluid etc. and update the van software.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

i would not find the joy i find in a Vanagon in the Solis. my Vanagon is my hobby and i find it to be affordable and fun. when it stops being those it will be sold.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I would rather have 5 T3 Westies , one with a Subaru engine, thank you very much.

But who would drive the other one to match all the gear and supplies one could carry in a Solis compared to a Westy? Wink
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

As I contemplate what I want to do in retirement, living on the road traveling sounds kind of appealing to me. And as much as I envision how cool it would be to do it a Westy, reality slaps me upside my head and says “NO!” Laughing

I know I wouldn’t want to do it in a large RV. Maybe a class C at the most but I think a class B with its smaller footprint would be better. Of these class Bs, this Solis looks awesome. The amenities as you mentioned, i.e. shower and toilet for me, in that size rig…yup!
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I've actually been looking at the Solis for more almost 2 years, not as a replacement for my Syncro, but more as a complement (I can see how it would work great for long roadtrips to Yellowstone or Glacer, while I use the Syncro for more local off-the-beaten-path outings).

Alas, my kids are in the teen phase and are starting to think that camping with the parents is not as cool anymore (plus we've already did Glacier and Yellowstone with the Syncro) so the need/desire for the Solis is fading out.

I think Winnebago did a great job designing a simple poptop camper for a family that ticks a lot of items - sure, it could be improved with Lithium, etc and some folks would prefer to have an AWD Transit as the chassis instead of a Promaster but the starting point is very good.

I found that the following Facebook group (Winnebago Solis Owners and Wannabees) is one of the most comprehensive and knowledgeable resources available for the Solis (https://www.facebook.com/groups/382676146010723)

Totally concur. Ford > Ram! Wink
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
i would not find the joy i find in a Vanagon in the Solis. my Vanagon is my hobby and i find it to be affordable and fun. when it stops being those it will be sold.

Yeah, but you're missing out on that Exxon Valdez turning radiusk Laughing
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

I prefer the cult that is vanagon / syncro.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

Starting at $112,000? I would rather have a small Class C. Lots more room. A 24' Lazy Daze, one of the best built in the business, is actually a little bit cheaper.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

My bossman gave me a ram promaster with a aluminum contractors body on it to work out of. Not impressed. V6, front wheel drive. Have to make a run at some gravel driveways, has no front traction. Have to climb in carefully so you don't knock your head. Overhead shelf makes you have to duck down to see the traffic light you are stopped at. Sunvisor is usless since it only swings straight down blocking the view of anything more than 10 feet in front of you. Hope you like to hear the engine scream, 6 gears and it is never in the right one. Seems awfully European, fix it again tony.
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

It's a promaster so hell no, I would however without a thought trade the syncro westy for a EAV converted Sprinter and probably through the tristar syncro and t2 65 deluxe in the trade also... heck I'd even through in both of the Ex's kidneys if needed
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drop your Westy for a Winnebago Solis pop top? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Starting at $112,000? I would rather have a small Class C. Lots more room. A 24' Lazy Daze, one of the best built in the business, is actually a little bit cheaper.

For 10k a towable trailer for camping.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: