Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locked full time posi rear axles
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Parrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

I purchased a 3 rib bus transaxle that was pulled from a Baja Bug years ago. I was told it was a very strong and recent build but the guy didn't know the details of the build. I have recently installed it in a dune buggy with a Ford SHO motor and Kennedy adapter kit to see what I have. The axles are locked and are in full time "posi-traction". When you try to turn the rolling the buggy without the engine running it gets in a bind. It is clearly not functioning like a normal differential. Any ideas on what might have been done to lock the axles together? How to fix? Based on the schematics I've looked at, I don't see a logical way to lock the axles together. Any help?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

what do u mean by try to turn the rolling buggy?as in its coasting or your pushing it by hand?
and are you talking about it doing this on pavement or on dirt/ gravel?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

John Parrish wrote:
I purchased a 3 rib bus transaxle that was pulled from a Baja Bug years ago. I was told it was a very strong and recent build but the guy didn't know the details of the build. I have recently installed it in a dune buggy with a Ford SHO motor and Kennedy adapter kit to see what I have. The axles are locked and are in full time "posi-traction". When you try to turn the rolling the buggy without the engine running it gets in a bind. It is clearly not functioning like a normal differential. Any ideas on what might have been done to lock the axles together? How to fix? Based on the schematics I've looked at, I don't see a logical way to lock the axles together. Any help?

The "lock" may be the spider gears in diff may have been replaced by blocks that lock the differential or may be a little redneck application of welding the spider gears..... Posi-traction or limited slip would still allow the axles to turn independently.

Only way to find out how it was done may be to open it up and see what was done to it......

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

So one time...

Pulled the transaxle out of the blue buggy I used to own that a friend bought, he said it turns weird and chirps, both wheels rolled the same direction when jacked up.

Turns out he had a cracked axle boot and lost all the fluid in less than a year, the left cup welded itself to the differential and created posi traction. I don't have pics as it was about 18 years ago, I only remember trying to get the thing apart. I can't even think of the parts involved but there it was.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Parrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback!

Both wheels roll the same direction when jacked up. When I said "rolling", I was pushing the buggy on concrete and trying to turn it as it rolled. The axles would get in a bind after only a few feet. I would then need to jack up the rear and get the tires off the ground to get it out of a bind before it would roll again.

I'm hoping to pull the motor and tear it down this weekend if time permits. I'll look for welded spider gears or blocks that lock the differential. Also check the left cup to see if it has seized to the differential. Thank you for this information!

If the spider gears are welded or I need to replace the blocks, where is the best place to source parts?
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

Sounds like it has a "Lincoln-Locker"! you will need a new carrier and spider gears and maybe bearings.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

I've pushed a few spooled or locked diff cars around the shop, on concrete. indoor concrete is usually slicker and more forgiving than what's outdoors and will typically let the tires slip enough to still be able to push the car. so considering how light a buggy is I'm surprised you had to use a jack , even if it was outdoor concrete.
usually the outside tire will still roll and the inside chirp and scuff as it's turning the same speed as the outside tire ( or is it visa versa ?) anyhow.. unless something is wrong and binding up? did it seem to lock up both tires and they just want to skid?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

Or maybe it has a spool in it?

Did they make spools for a VW trans?
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

Is the motor in the buggy? You say "when the motor is not running", so it turns fine with the motor running?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

hey OP, any updates on this?
John Parrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked full time posi rear axles Reply with quote

Life happened and I have not had a chance to pull the motor yet. Will keep you posted. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: