Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow Tracks
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vw_billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

any links or info on DiY or stock options or adaptable stock options
for snow track to fit a vw dune buggy (big skis up front).

pic for attention:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by vw_billy on Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

YES YES! I'm all ears on this one! Very cool job somebody did here!

Last winter I researched the tracks for quads and tracks for pickups with adapting a pair in mind. It was going to cost $8000 for the quad ones and $15000 for the bigger pickup ones. That is more than either of my Buggies are worth! The they would have had to be adapted...

I think starting from scratch might take more time but be much more cost effective in the end. The skis for the front are the easy part. Any snowmobile skis would work.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

here's a recent one I downloaded ill post more as I'm pretty interested in building tracks for something too and have saved a few pics here and there

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

these look like a simple design...

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

vw_billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

That purple one is the next closest to what I'd like to do. They might be stock atv or UTVs track which can be $$.
Also, check out this vintage snow bug kit:

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

Yes the purple one does have ATV tracks. Those are the ones I was quoted from the supplier at $8000 for a pair with shipping.

The Vanagon and the beetle I would wonder about because the added track is so far behind the center of weight. That would throw a lot of weight on the front axle I would think and compromise the effectiveness of the tracks.

The red one really interests me. Looks like an adaption of existing snowmobile tracks. It puts the tracks right under the Buggy where they would be most effective. It would be interesting to get a better detailed side view of how he did it.
vw_billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

If a design is like the red one, be sure you have the short torsion bars; that don't stick out.
Weight isn't a issue I think due to the width of the tracks and most ones that ' stick out rearward' aren't free floating. So the weight seem to be distributed across the track & not just under the rear axle/wheel.

I love to have a real 'drawing' or ideas for a design like #1.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

Many years ago Dad and our neighborhood welder took a Ford Prefect, cut the rear of the body off leaving the windshield and everything ahead of it. Then they lengthened the frame, added a second transmission and 2 idler axles. They built tracks for it out of channel iron and flat belting.

They were going to build skis for the front but some hunter came by and made them an offer they couldn't refuse and took it away as it was.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

I've seen some mini tracks like on the purple buggy for sale on ebay for under $200. they look to be for atv's but the dimensions say the base is 18" long. that's still a pretty big footprint when you consider how small of a contact patch a tire actually has
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

well I lied, they are a little more expensive than i said but even $250 ain't bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Kart-Karting-UTV-Buggy...632-2357-0

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

Unless I miss my guess those look to be intended for something that is powered by a Briggs and Sputterin'. Say 5 to 10 HP, I seriously doubt they would stand up to the weight and power of our VWs.
vw_billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

I'd consider 2 rear UTV tracks. Might be only 1500+ for a 'Real' set. They all list their prices for 4 (2 front and 2 larger rear). Those $200 ones are too narrow and likely too weak; but cheap to try.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

I had one of these for a few years. They are an absolute blast in the snow. I'd skip over the tracked buggy and go this route. Much more capable and they have good heat and can carry up to 7 people. Powered by a 1600 generally.
Aktiv Snow Trac, made in Sweden.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
vw_billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

but.. look how happy that guy is in my 1st picture with that cute lady riding with my. For me it's about fun, I have sleds, 2 atv and wouldn't mind toying with my dune buggy in the winter. It's wouldn't be meant for hardcore arctic use, just 100% VW fun.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I had one of these for a few years. They are an absolute blast in the snow. I'd skip over the tracked buggy and go this route. Much more capable and they have good heat and can carry up to 7 people. Powered by a 1600 generally.

Nice machine but chances of ever finding one in this country are slim to none and as as I understand it, Slim left town a years ago.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

you aaaah... seem like a bit of a negative nelly in your last couple posts here. you feeling alright buddy? maybe a little clinically depressed? ( let's go to prison movie reference)

I saw one of these snow Trac things for sale, possibly on skeezbay, a while back. within the last year or two. I couldn't believe it and probably never see one for sale again but who knows
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

Nice machine but chances of ever finding one in this country are slim to none and as as I understand it, Slim left town a years ago.

I'm not giving up. I'm going to find one of these some day and use it for skiing in Valemount!
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
oprn wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

I'm not giving up. I'm going to find one of these some day and use it for skiing in Valemount!

These are out there. I had a chance to buy another one last year. Once you get to know the sno catter group, just like the vw people, you will find them still.
There is a web site called Forumsforum and it has a sno cat section to it that is fairly active and you'll see them pop up for sale there on occasion.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Tracks Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:
oprn wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

These are out there. I had a chance to buy another one last year. Once you get to know the sno catter group, just like the vw people, you will find them still.
There is a web site called Forumsforum and it has a sno cat section to it that is fairly active and you'll see them pop up for sale there on occasion.

I see them showing up for sale in Sweden, Norway, and the UK occasionally. I'd like to find one closer. There used to be quite a few of them around British Columbia and the Yukon back in the days - maybe I'll get one some day. In the meantime I get to play in a Cat powered Prinoth.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNjrgehzWpo2d...ZMd2FxQXdR
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: