Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1laura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

The known history on the car is it was found in Edmonton, AB 35 or so years ago .... and had been sitting outside for many years prior to that. The reported mileage was 21,500 and all original. Believable initially as it looked like it had just been parked and left; it even had the Continental tires it came with when new still on the rims(barely). Questionable as I have recently discovered the engine is an "exchange" engine(#E16388). Anyhow, the "Typ 1/11" on the VIN plate suggests a "standard". There is NOTHING on this car that would suggest standard that I have found; everything suggests "deluxe". Have gone through Bob Wilson's "The 1949-1959 VW Beetle" and what should be found on a deluxe is on this car. Have found a couple threads on "Canadian Standards" and "Canadian Customs" but the cars all seem to have some standard features. I am left scratching my head??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Martenni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

My first beetle was a Belgian delivered 1956. The paperwork and the VIN plate both mentioned type 111, but like your car , it was a full deluxe.
Belgian standards had some deluxe features like chrome hubcaps, but my car had hydraulic brakes, full headliner, chrome body trim, semi batwing, ivory knobs, ...
I never found out why it was 'labelled' as a type 111. The VIN plate seemed to have never been replaced, and all numbers were matching (except the engine, which was a '54).
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

More pictures please!

Don
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

When did VW of Canada stop installing their VIN plate in place of the factory plate?
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
When did VW of Canada stop installing their VIN plate in place of the factory plate?

Latest one I’ve ever seen is 1955 but not every Canadian car between 52-55 got the VW Canada vin plate. Not sure why that is.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

Does it have the mounts for the speedometer/wire cover under the front bonnet? My Canadian std. didn't
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark1laura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

Yes, it has the proper wiring mounts with the proper wiring cover secured with the knurled screws. Trunk liner is also there. Trunk lid has the center trim with the VW logo and Wolfsburg crest. I put together a list of things that should be on the deluxe and not the standard and I have it all. Will post more pics as I get it back together. Thx to all for the input.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

I thought the 1/11 designation on the VIN tag was model type. Type 1/model 11 (sedan). On a convertible it shows 1/15, type 1 model 15 (kabrio).
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my 57 "Typ VW 1/11" have nothing "standard"? Reply with quote

Also if it is a true canadian import not a gray market GI import it would be a Canadian Custom. Basically a deluxe with a stripped down interior and lower trim level.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444733

As stated MORE PICS PLEASE!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: