Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewinding 6V to 12V?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
drksderob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

Is there anybody that is doing these? I have a fantastic condition 6V generator on my 1956 Oval, but I want to rewind it to 12V. The rest of the car is converted to 12V already.

Thanks.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

There was a guy here in Oregon up the coast somewhere doing that for different kinds of generators, maybe something with alternators?
I just souped up mine with a electronic voltage regulator which helped a lot, also did a H4 headlight conversion so I could install brighter 6 volt H4 Lamps.
The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

You have to change the field windings (thinner and longer) and nowadays they are not easy to find. While you are in there you will want to change the bearings and armature and of course the regulator. Expect $500+ in parts plus labor. Once you have the parts, any local generator / alternator rebuild shop should be able to do the job

https://www.sandelplan-356.com/Conversion-kit-alternator-12V-356A-256B-356C-912

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254671947325?hash=item3b4ba1863d:g:c4EAAOSwhKZZ0rN8
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
There was a guy here in Oregon up the coast somewhere doing that for different kinds of generators, maybe something with alternators?
I just souped up mine with a electronic voltage regulator which helped a lot, also did a H4 headlight conversion so I could install brighter 6 volt H4 Lamps.

Don Allen
https://www.gener-nator.com/
drksderob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

Great info. I think I'll order the kit and rebuild it myself. Thanks all.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

This may sound totally crazy but if you are familiar with Mike fn garage on YouTube he explains how he got a 6v generator to put out 12v by just using a 12v regulator.

Search for "Mike fn garage 12 volt"
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

3foldfolly wrote:
Danwvw wrote:

Don Allen
https://www.gener-nator.com/

That's really cool! I was actually thinking of keeping my 12v generator since it's working so well (when I put my new motor in) but wouldn't mind freshening it up for the new motor too.

Anybody here have Don do theirs & know approx cost & turnaround time??

ALSO ------- Maybe an obvious answer but...........Do current alternators sold all over the web have "INTERNAL REGULATORS" built-in? I recall the old Motorolas had those white boxes on top & today's I don't see that. Curious if it's just not visible or ????

TIA
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
This may sound totally crazy but if you are familiar with Mike fn garage on YouTube he explains how he got a 6v generator to put out 12v by just using a 12v regulator.

You can, but it’ll fry once you run it with any sort of load on it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewinding 6V to 12V? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
QRP wrote:

You can, but it’ll fry once you run it with any sort of load on it.

correct. within weeks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: