Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 sunroof project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Did some chopping over the weekend. Nothing good. I thought I'd be saving more, but I'll be replacing almost everything. Going to try and keep the bumper brackets in place, for position.

I'll probably take another cut. I want to wait till I get the new metal in hand, to decide how far I'm going to go.

Has anybody purchased/installed this apron from WW? Looks good inthe pic.

Took the J channel off of both sides. Cleaned up alright.

$516.74.......I'll have some new metal. Need some extra hours on my check.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Still getting after it. While I'm building up some cash for my next metal purchase, (rear apron, etc.) I've moved to the rear fenders. Luckily I had a swap meet find hanging in the shed. German metal, not perfect by any means, but solid, and no major dents. The wheel opening is very good. The bolt on edges are, well...... kind of ok. Needs work. so here's some of what I did.

Was going to use the gray epoxied fender. Too much work.

Had a pair of rear fenders from a swap, who knows how long I've had these. I initially wrote them off. they didn't seem to fit right. But the passenger side ended up being a German piece, after comparing it to known OG fender. Has the correct drain holes. The bumper bracket openings were nice also.

Original white inside.

Had a couple colors on the outside. And a little mud.

A little time with the DA, not looking too bad.

Hole repair. Wanted to keep the hole round, while putting the shape back into the fender. A drill bit, the same size as the hole did the trick. Keeping the hole round, like it was originally, keeps the arc of the fender correct. Instead of trying to fold up like a taco. A couple welds its good to go. Puts the strength back in it.

Last edited by bluesman on Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Tip of the day...... Don't buy these. I'm out $110. These are no where near close to fitting. I would feel bad taking these to a swap and selling to someone. Bad decision on my part...I figured, How bad can they be?

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

I've not found a good set of fitting running boards. You have to be careful when putting them on your car especially if you just painted it. They can easily scratch the paint.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

bluesman wrote:
I figured, How bad can they be?

"MADE IN MEXICO" Right there's the tipoff.
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

You got me there.. Very Happy That's what I get for trying to go cheap. Should've bought 1 wolfsburg running board with that money.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

What's your need date? I got some WW running boards recently and I can install one and give you my two cents, I can upload some pics too. But we've had some crappy wind, and rain's comin later, so I may not get to it today Confused
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Thanks!! No hurry at all.
I bought the mexican boards hoping to save a couple bucks, and use them for the mock up of my fenders. I have a driver side german running board, from a later car. Have to find the passenger side.

Plenty of other things to work on, till I get some new ones.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

bluesman wrote:
I bought the mexican boards hoping to save a couple bucks, and use them for the mock up of my fenders. I have a driver side german running board, from a later car. Have to find the passenger side.

Return the ones that aren't any good.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Well.....I used the die grinder on one of them, to try and make them work. And too much time has passed to return them, I would imagine.
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Got parts!! Wolfsburg apron is pretty nice. Only complaint is, the J channel stops short of the end. The original goes to the end. Does anyone know what kind of coating is on this?

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

That apron does look real nice, perfect fit. Weird about the J channel. For what it's worth, there's about a 1" gap between body J channel and apron J channel on my '65. Looks like yours may end up being 2" or a hair more.

Edited to correct my wording Anxious

Last edited by Busstom on Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Looking good. Shame I didn't see your post earlier. I have an NOS rear apron in the classifieds for much less than the reproduction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

bluesman wrote:

Cip1 does a great job of convincing you to spend more money to save on shipping. I have spent more on parts I've thrown away from them than any other vendor. Trying to return them is such a hassle. Learned my lesson and won't buy parts from them unless I know it is a specific brand that I am familiar with.

bluesman wrote:
Only complaint is, the J channel stops short of the end. The original goes to the end.

I found that out as well and ordered one from Virtanen (Mika). It is a slightly different shape than the WW channel but is pre-bent. I am not sure why WW can't get longer pieces that fit.. seems like an easy fix on their part. I do like the shape of there channels though.
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Well......After staring at it for awhile, and deciding how I was going to plug these brackets in, I started cutting. Ground the spots. Left the shelf in place. Then cut over the shelf.

Hopefully I get these right. I'm not exactly sure if these holes are for lining things up, but that's how I'm using them. Using a socket as a line up tool. I've got a large diameter bolt I've been using along the way also.

Got some more cutting to do. The tab with the socket in it will eventually be cut off. I'm keeping it till the very end, to keep things in line.

Between work, high school baseball, and yard work, that's as far as I've got.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Nice job.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
Nice job.

Thank you!
bluesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Massaging metal. Not sure you can tell. I worked the edge of the bumper bracket, to make it a little tighter. Going to trim the lip of the panel down also. Makes it look more OG, and engine installation easier. Too wide.

Almost there.

Need a few holes for the shelf. I'll plug it back in.

Not too bad.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 65 sunroof project Reply with quote

Good Job!

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: