Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Recently I thought I had an injector leaking. It turns out it was the pump. The pump that is leaking is a 1.6 NA. I bought a 1.6 TD pump a while back but never installed it. I was intimidated by the process and the NA pump worked fine so I shelved the TD pump. Today I took the TD pump to a diesel shop for them to go over it. Is there a way to mark certain things so that a pump swap can be more or less plug and play? For this pump I will have to modify the deck lid. That is fine. I am referring to not having to time the new pump. Thanks
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping ip's in 1.6td Reply with quote

You will have to time the new pump, no way around it.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping ip's in 1.6td Reply with quote

That means order a new valve cover gasket?
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yes, if you wish to do everything right.

Roland
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

How many miles on the current timing belt? With swapping the pump you are a good part of the way to a timing belt swap.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I would be concerned that a TD pump would overfuel a NA engine, since you don’t have the additional air the turbo offers. Maybe someone can clarify the fuel delivery of TD versus NA pump.

Also, the leaking pump can be repaired by changing the seal, for example. You are usually better off repairing a known working pump that putting in an unknown pump, especially if it is from a different engine.

Added bonus is if you mark accurately where the existing pump is timed, putting it on the same mark will get you close enough to exact.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

A turbo pump will not over-fuel a non-turbo engine. It does not increase max fuel above the non-turbo pump until boost pressure rises. He also added a turbo to the non-turbo engine.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I could repair the seal on this pump, and certainly thought about it. I had gotten a good deal on this TD pump after I added the turbo. I have read conflicting things about the TD pump with LDA. I thought that it might increase power by 10%, but I have also read that the LDA doesn't increase power but will give you better fuel/air mix under load. I really don't know. My roommate who builds motors for a living, says that it would be better to run the TD pump. He said he would help me time the new pump. I hope he knows about these pumps. So now I just need to make sure I have the tools. I have been looking over a long post by a member who rehabbed a 1.6 JX. I have seen a Vince Waldon write up mentioned also.
The timing belt was replaced probably less than 20K miles ago. The PO said he did the belt with an engine "build up" before selling it. I am into taking advantage of the situation..
I also am going to install the Saab 900 ic that I have before running the new pump. If the new pump does deliver more fuel then I can help mitigate the heat with the ic.

Also, I have given the TD pump to a reputable diesel shop for them to open up and make sure everything is right. At the very least internals will be cleaned and new seals installed, but it will be up to what they think. So really this TD pump will be a known good pump before I put it in my van.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There was a bit of oil in the silicone bend between the turbo and the intake manifold. Seems to be normal as the hockey puck drains into the air intake piping. Here is my intercooler. Was wondering about the bolt on the right. Is that for mounting? Almost looks like a way to introduce water to the unit. I realize it is an air/air ic.

Also, I have the tools in the pic. Cheap diesel timing dial gauge kit, cam lock (2 pieces) and a tensioner gauge for the timing belt. According to the write up by V. Waldon I will need a pin to lock the pump and a 12" crescent wrench. Have the wrench and will look for the pin + new valve cover gasket. Also have a decent torque wrench. Will that be all that I need?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I'll just add, if you are swapping out your pump now would be a good time to replace your glow plugs if they are old or not working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The glow plugs work fine, but they do look old. The wiring too.. Will have to consider that, thanks.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I don't see where you answered, how old is the timing belt (miles/years)?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The timing belt was said to have been replaced shortly before I bought the van. I think I may have driven 10-20k miles since then. Odometer is broken. I did answer you thou, a post back or two.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

That would be about 4 yrs ago.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

If you think I should take advantage of the situation and do the timing belt swap, I certainly will.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
If you think I should take advantage of the situation and do the timing belt swap, I certainly will.

I would for the following reasons;
1) You don't for sure know when it was last changed,
2) You don't know the quality of belt PO used,
3) You don't know they changed the tensioner as well,
4) Requires little to no extra time to do in your case,
5) It's relatively cheap to do,
6) You'll learn more about your engine, and
7) Timing belt failures are expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I will order a new belt. You mention the tensioner. Should I get that as well?
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yes to s new idler/tensioner. I learned the hard way.

Roland
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I believe you can order it as a kit.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The bolt on that SAAB Blackstone intercooler is a drain plug for cleaning the intercooler. I have one attached to my Vanagon AHU swap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: