Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Those early belt guards are a joke. Even the top metal cover with a plastic lower cover is sad. Once when I was running an engine with a metal cover like that, I had a bolt vibrate loose and fall into the timing belt. Luckily it just tore a section out of the timing belt rather than snapping it, and caused the pump to jump time so it was obvious that something wasn't right. A quick timing belt replacement and it was back in business, but still quite sketchy, IMO. VW quickly wised up and switched to a fully enclosed timing belt cover system.

I use the torque specs from the Bentley.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

7 foot lbs will be more than enough.

I've owned several MK1s with 1.5 and 1.6 engines (at least 1 million miles). I never had a single WP leak at the halves nor see one of those bolts loosen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks. What timing belt cover is better for my van? Will the '86 version, like the one in old man's post, fit on my "83?

Okay, that is the plastic piece that Waldo is talking about.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There is a plastic lower cover that will bolt onto your engine fine but I don't know the part number offhand. To upgrade the upper cover to the version that completely surrounds the timing belt is a fair amount of work and parts and requires a different lower cover. You need the upper cover, backing plate with the pump mounting bracket plate, lower cover. Parts that need to be removed to do the swap include cam sprocket, intermediate shaft pulley, crank pulley, timing belt tensioner, pump, and water pump pulley. I may be forgetting some things. I might actually have the necessary parts as spares but would need to look.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Hmm. I may be able to have mine modified by a welder. I'll have to ponder.

Pm to be sent.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

So I wasn't missing a water pump bolt, but I seem to missing the threads in the block? The left most bolt hole on the water pump will go unused again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

What you are missing is this..one of VW goofy idea..comes from the back to hold the dust shield.
Darn..I could have stuffed one in the box with the injectors.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

No, I have a bolt coming from the back, it is on the top of pump towards the left. There is no hole in the block for anything in the location I am talking about. All the way to the left.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There is no hole there at all. Plus, I don't have that dust shield, I think they started in 86. Mine is '83.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Where that hole would be is not the block, but rather the water pump housing.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Totally right. I was thinking a new housing might have the hole, then I said block.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Probably a housing off some other motor w/ different water pump bolt pattern. This motor seems to have been built from whatever parts could be got off different vans in someone's yard.

It always sounds good to me though.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I'm guessing I turn the accelerator lever pin downward. Still it would put an angle on the cable from the bracket. I guess I will have to make that new bracket afterall.
Sorry the first one is blurry.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Looks like I have to put a bend in the new lever.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

With the ball stud reversed so it pokes down instead of up, and a bend added to the lever it will come close. To bend the lever, it is a good idea to either remove it from the pump and clamp it in a vise (be sure to mark the relationship between lever and shaft) or to clamp a pair of vise-grips to the top part and another pair of vise grips on the part you want to bend and apply the force to them rather than sending the force through the accelerator shaft and bushing. You might also be able to swap the lever from your non-turbo pump to your turbo pump but there are a couple different styles that don't interchange so it might not be possible.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I put a bend in it, on a bench vise, like you said it comes close.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The injection pump pulley has two holes that seem like they will take the pin. Where should the shaft key be when the pump is locked down? Is it ok to spin the pump shaft clockwise by hand? Seems like it wants to not move but so much without force. Thanks, I am so scared to !$&# something up.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Okay, the keyway should be 180 deg. from the lock pin.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There is a timing mark on the perimeter of the pump side of the sprocket (where it's hard to see...). That mark needs to align with the centerline of the pump when the correct timing hole is lined up for the pin to fit. From what I have seen, the correct hole also has the VW symbol and some other writing next to it. I like to take a file and transfer that timing mark to the outside of the sprocket where it is easy to see and make some marks around the correct hole to make it easy the next time. The later 1.6 pump sprockets only have a single hole the size of the lock pin.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Glad you answered b/c I didn't realize that the sprocket had a pump side, I thought it was reversible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: