Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Def not reversible, wasn't thinking.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

With help from a friend, the engine is timed up. We used the Bentley, and he knew pretty much how to use the dial gauge, I didn't.

So, the valve cover gasket I got is rubber composite. Victor Reinz. Today all I find are old threads saying to always use a cork valve cover gasket. Is it that big of a deal?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:

So, the valve cover gasket I got is rubber composite. Victor Reinz. Today all I find are old threads saying to always use a cork valve cover gasket. Is it that big of a deal?

Mine is rubber like. Works fine for me. Worse comes to worse yours leaks and you have to replace it. Not exactly a difficult or arduous process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

True. Do you put grease on the head side and sealant on the cover side? Or how do you install yours? Thanks
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The rubber gaskets are much better than the 3-piece cork gasket set. The only downside is that there can be a mismatch between the inserts in the gasket and the shouldered studs of the valve cover requiring replacement of the shouldered studs with ones that do not have a shoulder. I use a drop of sealant at the places where the flat rubber meets the half moon and where it meets the strip that goes up and over cam cap #1. No grease or sealant on 99% of the gasket.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks Waldo, looks like I messed that one up. Might have to redo.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Double post by accident.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I have a set of used fuel connection pipes. They are in the clamps and somewhat in position to be installed. Is it best to leave them clamped, and try to install them as a unit? Also I will spray brake cleaner on the threads because they look a bit grey.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yes, the IP hard pipes should remain in the clamps and be installed in pairs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Yes, the IP hard pipes should remain in the clamps and be installed in pairs! as a clamped set of all 4 for the 1.6/1.6TD.

FIFY
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
AndyBees wrote:
Yes, the IP hard pipes should remain in the clamps and be installed in pairs! as a clamped set of all 4 for the 1.6/1.6TD.

FIFY

Thanks Waldo ....

I should have clarified ...

The big clamp on the hard lines at the IP end can be removed then install them in pairs beginning with Injectors 1 & 2. This makes it a bit easier installing the nuts at the IP as they are on the bottom and much easier to get the 17mm wrench on them. Proceed with 3 & 4 and then re-install the big clamp. This procedure also makes it easier to align and start the nuts in the Injectors. I've done ii both ways.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I never take any of the clamps off unless I need to replace a line.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks guys, do I need to put anything on the threads? When I first got the van all the injectors, and or pipes leaked. I replaced injectors and pipes and have been ok except #1 still had a minor leak at the feed nipple.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

No pipe dope or anything else is needed on the nut threads. The hard lines seal by compression mating to the Injectors. Sometimes you will need to tighten, loosen, tighten, etc., several times to stop a leak. Be careful to not strip the threads.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I like to put a drop of oil between the square shoulder of the line and the nut that bears on it. I want the nut to spin on the line, and not have the line twist with the nut.

Roland
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about oil because these lines are used and a couple of the nuts have rust on the threads.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Push the flare into the injector or delivery valve on the injection pump and thread the nut by hand several turns before using a wrench.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

So I got the lines installed. Seems that using a crows foot extension on a torque wrench changes the leverage and makes the real torque value much higher then the one set on the wrench. Luckily I realized I was over torqueing and stopped and found that out.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Should the deck cut out for the td pump include the area over the accelerator lever? So far I cut out area over solenoid and cleared the foam out of the levers path. Still, the lever doesnt have much clearance, worried about someone sitting on the lid.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Should the deck cut out for the td pump include the area over the accelerator lever? So far I cut out area over solenoid and cleared the foam out of the levers path. Still, the lever doesnt have much clearance, worried about someone sitting on the lid.

I had a custom cover made for my TDI install. I could have lowered the engine for more clearance, but with my plans, that was not an option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: