Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yeah ?Waldo?, I agree about the clear line. I'm thinking splicing the old with 18-24" of clear, would accomplish the same thing.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

My roommate recommends putting the flywheel and pump back to TDC, and then after removing the belt, get the cam back to TDC. Sound right?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Ok, I think the best thing I can do is set the flywheel to TDC and then go about the T belt/ ip pump removal. I will deal with the timing issue when I put the new pump in.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Your pics of flywheel, pump and cam look fine.

Don't use the cam lock to hold the cam while loosening the cam sprocket. It frequently breaks the end of the cam if you do. Use a sprocket holder instead.

Look through epowell's threads for details on the timing belt procedure.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes I am reading through one of epowell's threads right now and it is exactly like you are talking to me. People's willingness to share knowledge and experience is a gift.

So the kit with the timing belt and tensioner also has a water pump. I was going to skip that, but..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one one the van now looks sad. I don't know if looking sad is grounds for replacement, but in this case I have one coming. I might as well. So I will be bleeding the water and the fuel systems at the same time, when the time comes.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Right now the allen head bolts on the crank shaft v pulley are not wanting to move. Only supposed to have like 14-17 ft. pnds on them.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yeah, the pipe going back to the tank is basically not under pressure. I suppose a full tank of fuel would result in more pressure than a near empty tank considering the discharge is at near the bottom of tank.

Anyway, that engine doesn't appear to have been in operation anytime recent.

While there, I'd certainly replace the water pump. The intermediate shaft idler wheel will need to come off to remove the Water Pump. Sometimes it will just come off with a pull of the hand and sometimes it can be stuck pretty tight. Just be careful to not break off the shoulders. It appears there's a section already gone. I've ran them that way without any problems. Also, there is a flange on the shaft internal of the engine that can be broken off hammering on the wheel ... I've seen it happen Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. It was running a month or less ago.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the timing belt FPCeuro sent me. And so it goes.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

That's some funny stuff right there.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:

The one one the van now looks sad. I don't know if looking sad is grounds for replacement, but in this case I have one coming. I might as well. So I will be bleeding the water and the fuel systems at the same time, when the time comes.

Is the pump you are getting the complete water pump or just the front half? Does it like this or like this. The first one requires you to disassemble your existing pump into two halves. In my experience that is almost impossible. The bolts will snap and the pump halves will be stuck together. You will go from having a functioning water pump to not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Right now the allen head bolts on the crank shaft v pulley are not wanting to move. Only supposed to have like 14-17 ft. pnds on them.

Rust is a bitch. I think I removed my muffler and used an impact wrench on them. At least you got the ones of the water pump off.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Old man, first off thank you for the link for the flange. I just now noticed that you did the thing where "this" is the link. My glasses usually stay a little dirty, I just couldn't see that it was a link. Anyhoot, the water pump is the first pic you linked. So, only half a pump? I'm sending the whole kit back, probably. The timing belt was the right box, but a tiny belt was inside.

Last edited by ndorian on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Damn, ok I don't wan't that. I knew it looked like a can of worms. The old one cleans up good.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Damn, ok I don't wan't that. I knew it looked like a can of worms. The old one cleans up good.

If you buy the complete pump it's easy to change it out.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I got the belt off yesterday, I couldn't get the sprocket off the old pump so I am getting a puller. I read about different methods of tapping this or that with a brass hammer or a rubber mallet. I got nervous trying to tap/pry it out. I was wondering about the intermediate shaft pulley. AndyBees mentioned it. I had seen it and it didn't worry me too much, but now I am thinking about it . An aftermarket version is $100. It has no shoulders, or sides. Would that bit of missing material make it unbalanced?
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

This is a brilliant guide for setting the timing.
https://vincewaldon.com/2008/10/01/how-to-set-the-injection-pump-timing/
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks, I've been checking that out. First time jitters is all.
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
My roommate recommends putting the flywheel and pump back to TDC, and then after removing the belt, get the cam back to TDC. Sound right?

There is a simple procedure for doing this, and it is in the Bentley manual.

You crack off the cam pulley, so it can move (use something other than the cam locking device to hold the cam in place). You lock the IP with an appropriately sized bolt, or the tool if you have it.

You then line up the crank at TDC, line up the cam with the locking tool, ensure the IP is still locked and at TDC, and then tighten the cam bolt (using something other than the cam locking device to hold the cam in place while you do that) and you are all timed up.

You then set the IP timing using a dial gauge.

Using any other method usually results in you being a tooth or half a tooth off, which can lead to valve - piston collisions.

I noticed you are using a non turbo motor. There is an interesting thing about turbo motors versus non turbo motors.

The turbo motors have "oil squirters" under the pistons, which act to cool the pistons. Non turbo motors do not have these.

There is a lot of debate as to whether or not those oil squirters make any difference. VW seems to think that they did (they were also present on the eco diesel, which is a full turbo motor without the LDA on the IP).

In regard to your water pump, if you are removing the IP, change the water pump as a routine service matter.

You will understand why, if you try to remove the water pump with the IP still in place (almost impossible, you can do it but it is really hard).

You should also replace the glow plugs as they are way easier to get at, when the IP is out.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't replace the water pump at the same time, but removing the injection pump has near zero impact on the difficulty of removing the water pump. The water pump is easy to remove without removing the injection pump or disrupting it or the timing belt in any way.

Remove neg cable.
Drain coolant from thermostat flange on bottom of water pump.
Remove alt belt.
Remove alt.
Remove alt bracket.
Remove water pump (with housing).

The only real crossover between the timing belt/injection pump job and the water pump job is removing the accessory belt and pulleys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: